Fishing in canal and BBQ the fish?

Yes it is illegal to eat coarse fish unless you are spinning for pike. It is also illegal to coarse fish in areas designated as fly fishing areas. You get caught, you get prosecuted. The police asnd bailiffs will monitor these threads. Where do you draw the line. I heard one story of eastern Europeans dragging a swan from the Trent at Newark and killing it with their bare hands. It's a good job we weren't there. We have rules and laws for a reason

at one time the NRA (as it was then) used to print the legal size limits of all fish species on the fishing licence

however, even back then fishery owners have their own restrictions, and rightly so: if I'd spent thousands of pounds on a lakeful of fish (coarse fish) I wouldn't take too kindly to anyone killing any of them

as has already been stated, Ladybower is fly fishing only & has size & catch number limits in place so they can manage the stocking density of their water

I'd guess if the bailiff caught anyone coarse fishing on here he'd have the shotgun out of his landrover faster than you can rebait your hook

No he wouldn't.

Yes it is illegal to eat coarse fish unless you are spinning for pike. It is also illegal to coarse fish in areas designated as fly fishing areas. You get caught, you get prosecuted. The police asnd bailiffs will monitor these threads. Where do you draw the line. I heard one story of eastern Europeans dragging a swan from the Trent at Newark and killing it with their bare hands. It's a good job we weren't there. We have rules and laws for a reason

https://www.gov.uk/freshwater-rod-fishing-rules/fish-size-and-catch-limits

You can eat the fish if you want, just have to be a certain size and only a certain amount , and it has to be okay with the local byelaws.

at one time the NRA (as it was then) used to print the legal size limits of all fish species on the fishing licence

however, even back then fishery owners have their own restrictions, and rightly so: if I'd spent thousands of pounds on a lakeful of fish (coarse fish) I wouldn't take too kindly to anyone killing any of them

as has already been stated, Ladybower is fly fishing only & has size & catch number limits in place so they can manage the stocking density of their water

I'd guess if the bailiff caught anyone coarse fishing on here he'd have the shotgun out of his landrover faster than you can rebait your hook

better have a bloody big gun

I went fishing today at plumpers stretch and then walked back into to town. As far as i can tell the canal is very full of small fry loads and loads of them as well as tons of silvers , you could see them all sat on the top ! Although you do always see a few polish walking along throwing in lures and bread trying to catch their dinner! The only problem is that the ones they want to eat are the ones most people want to catch i,e the carp and pike!

I do a bit of part time baliffing at Ulley res near Rotherham. Couple of weeks ago I found 4 Polish guys fishing at late evening. They had a tent set up and a large roaring fire from dead wood they had had gathered. They had paid the fee, they had proper rod licences, they were fishing correctly with the right tackles doing everything right and had a net full of the large bream that are found in that res. I found the guts and bones from one they had cooked. Although I expected some bother I told them no fire, no tents certainly no taking eating of fish and told them to leave and not come back they were barred. They were very well spoken with a Polish accent. They were very polite and respectful to me. They packed up and left. I reported the matter to Rotherham Council. Guess what, I found the same guys a few days later in the same place with tents and fire and bream. Does anyone at Rotherham care as regards prosecuting them....I`ll leave you to decide the response.