Why are "soaps" so depressingly miserable ?

What's your view on "soaps" ?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. What's your view on "soaps" ?

• You're wrong. They're awesome, and i base my life on them !
    • I've nowt better to do.
    • I'm addicted. Wish i could switch off. :(
    • They should be banned. Dissenters jailed.

Thankfully i rarely watch tv, the OH does, so now and then i catch small chunks of what's going on, and without fail it's always some form of misery.

It could be a divorce, and affair, someone dying etc, but why is it always focused on the negative side of life ? Why doesn't anyone in these programmes ever smile ?

Why do people watch them ? :huh:

If their lives are so miserable, it helps us feel better about our own lives.

If their lives are so miserable, it helps us feel better about our own lives.

Do you genuinely believe that ? for the people who tune in ? Or is that a personal view ?

I'm genuinely interested. I couldn't watch something so depressing day in day out. Maybe i'm feeble minded :loopy: but it would affect my view on life, for sure.

They're designed for people with short attention spans. A character has AIDS on the Monday and by the Friday it's forgotten.

Not only is there too many of them, they're on too often which results in story lines becoming more sensational and downright silly.

Finally, they should be moved to minor channels - BBC2, ITV8 or better, online - freeing up airtime for something more intelligent, interesting and relevant.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

I've not watched any soap since 2000 when I bought my first house and therefore had full control on the TV remote. My life has been much improved since!

To make our own lives seem not so troublesome.

To make our own lives seem not so troublesome.

That's rather confusing for me, as i had no trouble switching off the tv to do other things, mostly browsing the net, so i guess i'm open to attack too. :D

And if you stop tuning in then surely you measure yourself in some more positive way, if that's your kind of thing ?

I just don't get this daily appointmen with misery. :help:

Wills someone defend the soaps ?!?!?!?!?!?

Do you genuinely believe that ? for the people who tune in ? Or is that a personal view ?

I'm genuinely interested. I couldn't watch something so depressing day in day out. Maybe i'm feeble minded :loopy: but it would affect my view on life, for sure.

Could be the interest is generated by a reflection. Maybe what they see is what they are. Is your wife depressingly miserable?

I can't defend as they are depressingly miserable with to many to chose from, which in itself is depressingly miserable.

Edited by ronthenekred

Get Reg Holdsworth back on the Street. :hihi:

Thankfully i rarely watch tv, the OH does, so now and then i catch small chunks of what's going on, and without fail it's always some form of misery.

It could be a divorce, and affair, someone dying etc, but why is it always focused on the negative side of life ? Why doesn't anyone in these programmes ever smile ?

Why do people watch them ? :huh:

If your only catching 'small chunks' of the Soaps then your missing out when the people do smile.

As for soaps being depressingly miserable...... if you were to follow a particular soap storyline, you would see that its based on real life situations: always people having affairs, Divorcing and dying.

I personally don't see them as being ' depressing ' but a reflection on how things are today.

Blanche is much missed on the street.

Edited by Daven

If your only catching 'small chunks' of the Soaps then your missing out when the people do smile.

As for soaps being depressingly miserable...... if you were to follow a particular soap storyline, you would see that its based on real life situations: always people having affairs, Divorcing and dying.

I personally don't see them as being ' depressing ' but a reflection on how things are today.

Real life?! How many deaths in one street in Manchester and in one square in the East End of London? There's one EVERY BLOODY CHRISTMAS DAY in the latter! You'd move away! You'd go stay with the in-laws in Saarrffennd.:hihi:

There was a Lockerbie-style air crash in Emmerdale. It's never mentioned, there's no annual anniversary. No one burps in soaps; no one 'drops one'. And you can't buy a parking space in London, yet the residents in Albert Square can park right outside their front door - and for free!!

Any pub which gave 'drinks on the aaasss' as frequently as the Queen Vic does would be out of business! No one turns lights on (or off). Sport or current affairs are often neglected (not always).

But the biggest advantage of those residents in Coronation Street and Albert Square is that their TV viewing must be much better than ours: they never watch SOAPS!!:thumbsup: