Chinese restaurants in sheffield

was there one on staniforth road near the snooker hall ,

My first ever experience of eating out was at the Chinese restaurant which was on the top floor of the building at Hillsborough corner, later demolished as part of the Supertram works. Was it the Bluebird, later renamed Silver Dragon?

Much more recently, I miss Mei's which was downstairs near to Pollard's.

hiya what was the one called at highfields, first one after the library, as the owner was a neighbor of my grans on netherthorpe flats

hiya what was the one called at highfields, first one after the library, as the owner was a neighbor of my grans on netherthorpe flats

I used to go in there regularly, I was even in the night I had my son.

I can't find any history on a Chinese one in Fitzallan Square but sure there was. I did find old photos and the Indian one is there

http://www.thewookie.co.uk/cinemas/gone1.html

---------- Post added 26-07-2014 at 17:08 ----------

No. Zing Va was, and I believe still is, on the Moor.

I went to school with a girl who's family owned Zing Va

That was the Golden Tiger (previously the Ling Hong). See post #14 for a link to a photo in which part of it can be seen..:)

Lazarus I don't remember the Queens, but always remember next to Classic being Indus Indian restaurant, and the Gambit on Commercial Street; next to gas board shop.

hiya.

do you remember before the classic cinema,it was the news theatre, i went to the n/t well in the late 40s it had a chinese restaurant at the side of it.

---------- Post added 28-07-2014 at 20:19 ----------

No - the Zing Vaa has always been at 55 The Moor (where it opened in c. 1957). Sheffield's other early Chinese restaurant was the Rickshaw on the corner of Devonshire Street and Broomhall Street. Directories from the 1960s show the Queen's restaurant next door to (to the left of) the Classic. By 1972 it was the Indus.

hiya.

i was brought up just off broomhall st and remember the rickshaw very well, i left school in 1953 and the rickshaw was there long before then, it was out of our reach price wise.it was situated at the top of broomhall st at the junction of eldon st, thinking backj i think there was a police box at the said spot all on its own facing glossop rd.

Edited by willybite

I thought that I was losing my marbles here, because my mates and I would pop up to the 'Concord' if the Golden Dragon was full. I always remembered it as being downstairs, but some have contradicted this. So... had a little look HERE.

If you zoom into the sign on the other side of the door, it states "OPEN- restaurant- Downstairs ":cool:

Another pic of the inside HERE

I'm wondering whether in view of the positive views expressed of the Concord being downstairs in the 70's and Hudsons/Chop Suey House being upstairs in the 60's, that this is how it actually was. My visits to the Chop Suey House were between 1961 and 1964 and my recollections are that the layout upstairs was much bigger than the later Concord picture posted by handypandy. Assuming that the restaurants were on rented property, it could be that if the Chop Suey House had run into financial difficulties, the proprietors had taken a downstairs site at a lower rent in order to continue in business. Just a thought but a possibility

Edited by oldrowley
Message duplicated

...i was brought up just off broomhall st and remember the rickshaw very well ... it was situated at the top of broomhall st at the junction of eldon st...
The Rickshaw wasn't quite at the top of Broomhall Street, it was a few yards lower down, on the corner of Devonshire Street (the postal address was 150 Devonshire Street). Here is a link to a picturesheffield.com photo of the Rickshaw after it had closed down. The stylish wooden RICKSHAW sign on the Devonshire Street side was still there in the 1980s..:)

My first ever experience of eating out was at the Chinese restaurant which was on the top floor of the building at Hillsborough corner, later demolished as part of the Supertram works. Was it the Bluebird, later renamed Silver Dragon?

Much more recently, I miss Mei's which was downstairs near to Pollard's.

I worked at Barclays Bank near Hillsborough corner 1960-62 and used to visit the Bluebird for a lunchtime special. 5/- for 2 courses I think. Round the corner by the bridge was Pauls Pantry who did a fair meal for 4/6d. Used to go with Helen from the Bank some days but I think she emigrated to China.

I thought that I was losing my marbles here, because my mates and I would pop up to the 'Concord' if the Golden Dragon was full. I always remembered it as being downstairs, but some have contradicted this. So... had a little look HERE.

If you zoom into the sign on the other side of the door, it states "OPEN- restaurant- Downstairs ":cool:

Another pic of the inside HERE

I'm wondering whether in view of the positive views expressed of the Concord being downstairs in the 70's and Hudsons/Chop Suey House being upstairs in the 60's, that this is how it actually was. My visits to the Chop Suey House were between 1961 and 1964 and my recollections are that the layout upstairs was much bigger than the later Concord picture posted by handypandy. Assuming that the restaurants were on rented property, it could be that if the Chop Suey House had run into financial difficulties, the proprietors had taken a downstairs site at a lower rent in order to continue in business. Just a thought but a possibility

I think you may be right as I used to frequent this place when it was called Hudsons in the very early sixties.

Yes, this would make sense as my visits began a couple of years later.

Chinese restaurants in Sheffield.

Hello Folks,

I'd just like to comment on a few things mentioned on this thread. Plus.

1. The Gambit. - I've been to this place a few times in the early 70's. They had chicken [? lol.] meals that tasted delightful. If I recall correctly the Gambit did get closed down for having dog [Alsation?] hanging in the fridge [freezer]. Anybody remember that? Perhaps the main library has on micro film info from Sheffield's Star and Telegraph newspapers of the time. The restaurant was on Commercial Street at the top.

2. Indus - Fitzalan Square. This was the former Queen's restaurant. It's been said on here by cuttsie that the Indus was a chinese restaurant, others disagreed. I have visited this place in the early 70's on a few occasions, and even though the place was Indian [bengali staff lol], I ate Chinese food there. This means they must have also had a Chinese menu too. I have never liked Indian food, so I wouldn't have been in that restaurant unless it had something different.I used to go in the Indus after coming out of the late neet flicks at the Classic next door, or from the Penthouse club on Dixon Lane. I'd usually have female company with me, and after the meal it would then be time for a mankin' session in Jew Lane, a little further on, atween what used to be The Bell pub [Tetley] and the Sleep shop. Jew Lane is still theere. I'd then walk home to Gleadless Townend afterwards cos' I couldn't afford a taxi home having spent mi remaining dosh on the lass's meal and her taxi fare home. There's one born every minute eh?

3. Hopkinson - Mr Hopkinson had summat to do wi the Zing Vaa on't Moor. He also had Chip shops on Division Street and on Jaunty Way on Base Green behind the Centre Spot pub [stones].

4. Golden Dragon - Matilda Street. I've etten at this place too in the early 70's and once in 1993 after coming back to Sheffield after living 17 years overseas. I seem to remember the Golden Dragon having live music on in late 60's early 70's, or is it just my imagination?

I stand corrected on anything I have written above.

Can anyone tell me the name of the Chinese restaurant that was just behind Cole Brothers? I think it was on Crossburgess street. You had to go up stairs to the restaurant. I had many a good meal in there.