Android coder? please help

You may or may not be onto something. I have read all posts but still have questions. I have thousands of successful websites and apps online today. If you think you have something PM me.

You might also want to search for "ideas are cheap".

It's something you get a lot of in games. When people find out you make games, everyone has a fantastic idea for one, and they always kindly offer to allow you to implement their idea, and then split the profits 50-50.

Most game devs want to be working on their own ideas, if they didn't, they'd be doing software development for a bank (where the secure money is). Also, as John mentioned, they don't want to hear your idea, and definitely don't want to sign your NDA, because if they also had the same or similar idea, independent to you, they're somewhat screwed.

So yeah, ideas are very cheap, and the idea of someone with no technical wherewithal expecting a capable developer to do the work, then split the profits, is a running joke with developers.

Best advice to the OP, would be to hire a decent local developer and pay their daily rate, or you could always do it yourself. Good luck.

It's something you get a lot of in games. When people find out you make games, everyone has a fantastic idea for one, and they always kindly offer to allow you to implement their idea, and then split the profits 50-50.

Most game devs want to be working on their own ideas, if they didn't, they'd be doing software development for a bank (where the secure money is). Also, as John mentioned, they don't want to hear your idea, and definitely don't want to sign your NDA, because if they also had the same or similar idea, independent to you, they're somewhat screwed.

So yeah, ideas are very cheap, and the idea of someone with no technical wherewithal expecting a capable developer to do the work, then split the profits, is a running joke with developers.

Best advice to the OP, would be to hire a decent local developer and pay their daily rate, or you could always do it yourself. Good luck.

Ideas are not cheap. The little plastic thing on the end of your shoe laces .. Worth a fortune. Ideas is the first of the baby steps! And I for one want to hear more !

---------- Post added 21-07-2014 at 02:40 ----------

One question Facebook!?!

---------- Post added 21-07-2014 at 02:49 ----------

Just because you are a motor mechanic does not mean you know how to design the next best selling car. Simon Cowell can't sing ... It takes a great idea and someone with talent to implement that idea.

I am very successful... Would not be if I never had great ideas forwarded to me to implement. Anyone interested in apps or website implementation please PM me.

Seems like the OP is going it alone now, so he can post a link back when his product is in the android marketplace.

Just for reference, you don't do anything to get a copyright, but you can't copyright an idea, you automatically have copyright on anything you produce, ie words, or pictures, or photos.

The reason you are getting these reactions is because you are associating coding with the same level of effort as auto repairs.

A mechanic REPAIRS or modifies vehicles according to existing blueprints, with existing parts. That is not to say it isn't skilled or hard work (my grandad was a mechanic so I do respect that)

Coding you are designing the whole car from scratch, without blueprints and not necessarily the right existing parts to work with. Its an order of magnitude more work which is why so many people are upset at you dismissing it as only 50% of the work.

No, he's really not. He wouldn't expect a mechanic to fix his car for free.

Sorry, jonny, your idea is totally worthless until you do something about executing it, it's a harsh truth. Great ideas are ten for a penny.

Edited by anywebsite

If it really is a great idea then he might well find a developer who will work on it for equity.

He'll need to share the idea with them of course, and it will need some sort of NDA (although not to do with disclosure, but to do with stealing the idea).

I don't really see the arguments against NDAs though. And NDA doesn't stop you working on an idea you've already got, so long as you can prove you already had that idea of course. And refusing to sign one "in case" you come up with the same idea in the future is pretty ridiculous.

Johnny4arms sounds like you really do have a great idea. Rise above the knockers (ooh er missus :hihi:) and keep concentrated on getting your idea into a reality. I am sure that you will find someone who will help you get it made into an app. Have you tried asking on any of the android forums ? If not get joined up for one and put your proposition to the coders on there. The very best of luck in realising your dream and I sincerely hope that it takes off big time for you :thumbsup: Dont forget to come back on here when you have made your first million to gloat at the knockers ;):hihi::hihi:

There's no way anybody will take it on, Cyclone, threads like this are ridiculous.

If it's such a great idea then stop being so precious about your idea, get a few quotes from developers, get a loan to cover the development cost, do it & keep 100% of your business. Even if it's the world's greatest idea, it's totally worthless until something has been done to execute it.

Edited by anywebsite

There's no way anybody will take it on, Cyclone, threads like this are ridiculous.

I know I won't, even if I had more than smidge of experience developing for android.

But when I was a student, or earlier in my career. I might have gone as far as listening to the idea and considering it.

I know I won't, even if I had more than smidge of experience developing for android.

But when I was a student, or earlier in my career. I might have gone as far as listening to the idea and considering it.

Even a bored student has better things to do with their time than give away half the proceeds of their work for nothing. I don't think anybody is that short of ideas.

I know it's easy to think you've had a great idea & it's worth a million pounds, but it's not. All the value is in how well you execute that idea.

Edited by anywebsite

So which came first the egg or the chicken cos without an egg you cant have a chicken and without a chicken there is definitely no egg

The egg came first. This was settled centuries ago. It's blindingly obvious.

For a student, and jonny4arms does seem to have some interest from one, it could be worth doing from a thing to put on a CV point of view. "Produced commercial Android app to specification defined by someone else" would look good and as long as it's competently implemented it will count as a positive. If the idea turns out not to be as popular as jonny4arms thinks and the app only sells three copies I don't think it would matter much from the CV angle either - the student will have produced something defined by someone else after all.