Right to die with dignity

We're not talking about euthenasia, we're taking purely about providing people with the means for them to be able to commit suicide in a less dreadful manner. Nobody, as far as I'm aware, is planning to introduce a law on euthenasia and only people of a sound mind and physically capable of taking the last step themselves would be affected by this law, and if this person didn't want to commit suicide then nobody else could do anything any different. The vast majority of people who could commit suicide generally don't even if they had the means to hand, and these people would not be affected in any way.

Palliative care is only part of the issue here. Who are you (or anybody) to tell me when my life has degenerated to the point where I don't want to be here any more? I choose to be pain reduced, rather than pain free, because I like to be able to think without feeling like I'm thinking through treacle, which is what happens when I'm out of pain, and I have the best palliative care that I could ever wish for (with a fabulous understanding palliative care consultant who treats me with every bit of respect that I could wish for) but I've now got only one fully functional limb and that is showing signs of wear and tear too.

I'm already at the stage where I need to sell my house because it's not suitable for my mobility needs and I need a house that has space for storage for wheelchair and/or buggy to enable me to get about a little better. Who knows where I will be in a few years? Will tumour MkIV have come to get me? Which bits will I lose the use of this time? Does anybody have the right to condemn me to have to live through those circumstances if I choose not to?.

No one has any right to condemn you.

And I wouldn't condemn anyone who chose to end their life, even under different circumstances.

Edited by janie48

Many people have genuine fears relating to the "slippery slope" argument, particularly the disabled, we shouldn't dismiss those concerns.

Many people support the 'Right to Die with Dignity' campaign, particularly the disabled.

As for the BMA, they are all stock arguments. I'm not moved. I should be allowed the right to die when I choose, and the state has no place to arrest people who assist me in that. It is my choice. I'm stating the damn obvious when I have to say that people who don't want to die should not be forced or pressured into it, but their concerns should not affect my right.

Many people have genuine fears relating to the "slippery slope" argument, particularly the disabled, we shouldn't dismiss those concerns.

The British Medical Association are opposed to assisted suicide, they mention the "slippery slope" as being one of the reasons.

http://bma.org.uk/practical-support-at-work/ethics/bma-policy-assisted-dying

We could introduce something like the organ donor system whereby an individual can anonymously register for the right to be euthanized when a set of circumstances are met, and if you don't register you will be allowed to die naturally, that should stop the slippery slope campaigners from worrying.

Well I did read it in the Daily Mail so I admit not the most reliable source, but I think they were quoting something that had been said in the House. That disabled lady MP in a wheelchair was also on the Daily Politics show and said something similar. I'm sure the figures will be somewhere on line.

Thats all very wooley. No specifics or details. I get you drift though, i think your opinion is more a heartfelt opinion though. You feel it will go down a slippery slop rather than you have reasonable proof it will go down a slippery slope.

For me though i just loook at the places where assisted suicide is legal. You dont see 1000s of of dears being trollied in kicking and dribbling before they are put down for being a burden. Like i say, i see you point but only from an emotional side.

Assisted death is part of government policy, as in a cold snap an EXTRA 30-35 thousand old, ill, frail, or just POOR people die, and with 5 million children undernourished right now seems like many more are being assisted.

On the other hand one can be assisted in a care home, where profit means little care, and they are assisted to quicken their journey into the crematorium which some feel helps the economy.

One could argue that smokers are also assisting their own death as we all know that its the pesticides, fungicides and herbicides used to grow the stuff that assists death, when constantly inhaled over years.

So this and all governments assist death already, and let us not forget the famous pathway to death in hospitals, where people were cut off from medication, drink and food, and helped give the4 pathologists a heavier workload before helping the cremation business. If only those NAZIS had realised how one could make a profit from assisting death, then maybe it would be a different story.

So should walk in centers for suicide be in the high streets is the real question, for those that can pay of course, and the covery killing is legal anyway, so what the beef all about?????????

If you are ever unfortunate to find yourself in the same situation as my uncle.

Where there is NO HOPE of a full recovery. Perhaps the idea of an assisted death may well appeal to you, rather than just living in a rotting shell.

Assisted Dying ........... overwhelmingly defeated today but are MPs simply out of touch with what people want?

The arguments about 'free choice' combined with terrible suffering and protecting the vulnerable are well and good. But, what if you are fine and simply want to end it all?

Saying goodbye to all, both friends and family, and then being able to chose the time, place and circumstances under some kind of 'Dignitas'.

Why not?

Otherwise it's suicide in secrecy and the terrible shock and trauma for everyone left behind. Or, it is eventual old age, deterioration you seek to avoid and that lingering, often painful and drawn out decay before death o'er takes you and pain riddles your body as the hospital tries to control it, but will, at times, fail.

As the title says:

All those in favour. I for one believe being assisted to end your life

Should you have a terminal illness, or no quality of life due to illness should be available .I believe the first reading in the House of Lords has been passed so maybe were on the right track.

Another sad day as MP's go against the wishes of the majority and reject the assisted dying bill, opinion polls say that 82% of the public supported Lord Falconer’s Assisted Dying Bill.

OMG - I was feeling quite upbeat when I logged on this evening - now I feel thoroughly down.

Thanks mate.:help:

OMG - I was feeling quite upbeat when I logged on this evening - now I feel thoroughly down.

Thanks mate.:help:

Sorry Daven didn't mean to make you feel down. :)

Should you have a terminal illness, or no quality of life due to illness should be available.

I agree, although to be honest, I'd be very surprised if the UK were ever to instigate something like this.