Right to die with dignity

The 'slippery slope' argument was even worse.
Many people have genuine fears relating to the "slippery slope" argument, particularly the disabled, we shouldn't dismiss those concerns.

The British Medical Association are opposed to assisted suicide, they mention the "slippery slope" as being one of the reasons.

http://bma.org.uk/practical-support-at-work/ethics/bma-policy-assisted-dying

It's a slippery slope.

Wheres your proof of this? Your figures? Your statistics? Or is this your opinion?

Many people have genuine fears relating to the "slippery slope" argument, particularly the disabled, we shouldn't dismiss those concerns.

The British Medical Association are opposed to assisted suicide, they mention the "slippery slope" as being one of the reasons.

http://bma.org.uk/practical-support-at-work/ethics/bma-policy-assisted-dying

Can I suggest that your statement reads SOME of the disabled?

I have disabilities and I'm not one of these people, and neither are any of my friends who also have disabilities. Pretty much everybody I know sees it as a problem that nobody is currently allowed to help them go when they may feel that it is intolerable to continue living.

Wheres your proof of this? Your figures? Your statistics? Or is this your opinion?

Well I did read it in the Daily Mail so I admit not the most reliable source, but I think they were quoting something that had been said in the House. That disabled lady MP in a wheelchair was also on the Daily Politics show and said something similar. I'm sure the figures will be somewhere on line.

Can I suggest that your statement reads SOME of the disabled?

I have disabilities and I'm not one of these people, and neither are any of my friends who also have disabilities. Pretty much everybody I know sees it as a problem that nobody is currently allowed to help them go when they may feel that it is intolerable to continue living.

I was thinking of those disability rights groups who oppose a change in the law.

But I realise they're are many disabled people who feel the same as you do.

I know if I was disabled, or terminally ill, and was experiencing intolerable pain that was unable to be controlled by medication I'm sure I would want my life to end. So I totally understand that feeling of fear of loss of control other people have, but that doesn't prevent me from feeling that if the law is changed there should be absolute clarity and reassurance that the vulnerable are protected.

Suffering from COPD as I do I can only agree with the OP, this legislation is well overdue, though of course it won't get past because Cameron doesn't like it, and God forbid Cameron doesn't want to start a precedent by doing something the electorate wants.

After seeing a friends father died from emphysema some years ago, when this COPD started taking hold some two and half years ago I made up my mind then, not to go through the pain and indignity that my mate's father had to go through. This past 12 months has seen a dramatic reduction in the distance I can walk, and the things I can do, but i'll keep soldiering on until the time is right. I'm lucky in the fact that I will always always be able to commit suicide, so this legislation is not really for the likes of me, but it's for the quadriplegic or anyone that has to have assistance to end their life,

I also suffer from COPD, based on too many cigs for too long. I'm also a cancer of the lung survivor of 12 years. I suffered a cardiac arrest during an operation for the removal of my gall bladder, and along with my son am a survivor of a car crash that killed my wife. I'll be 83 in August and plan to be around, as long as my new wife, now of 33 years is willing to put up with me. I am thoroughly enjoying life. But if the time comes that I'm not, I should have the right to go with dignity, helped by the people expert enough to make my departure easy, and not hanging myself with my waist belt or taking a century of aspirin. Edited by buck

I can see all the arguments for assisted dying, but when will old people begin to feel that they are a burden and therefore have a duty to die whether they are ready or not?

I'm not necessarily against the bill, but in our heartless, 'money is all that matters' society, I can see that happening sooner rather than later if this bill is passsed.

It's a slippery slope.

They won't and the evidence is the fact that they aren't already killing them selves. The vast majority of people that are a burden on someone else are capable of killing them selves, a small minority are not and would like assistance. There isn't a valid argument to oppose such assistance.

I was thinking of those disability rights groups who oppose a change in the law.

But I realise they're are many disabled people who feel the same as you do.

I know if I was disabled, or terminally ill, and was experiencing intolerable pain that was unable to be controlled by medication I'm sure I would want my life to end. So I totally understand that feeling of fear of loss of control other people have, but that doesn't prevent me from feeling that if the law is changed there should be absolute clarity and reassurance that the vulnerable are protected.

I understand and agree that the vulnerable should be protected at all times, but somehow this has been translated into lots of people (unknown origin, unknown ability/illness/disability) claiming that this means that all people who have disabilities believe that this law should not be passed because it's a slippery slope etc etc.

And that makes it appear that they understand and represent the views of all people with disabilities, but they plainly don't.

I understand and agree that the vulnerable should be protected at all times, but somehow this has been translated into lots of people (unknown origin, unknown ability/illness/disability) claiming that this means that all people who have disabilities believe that this law should not be passed because it's a slippery slope etc etc.

And that makes it appear that they understand and represent the views of all people with disabilities, but they plainly don't.

One of the problems is that some people appear to view anyone with a disability in 'group terms'.

My current disabilities are extremely minor - restricted movement in left arm due to inoperable damage to shoulder plus other minor stuff - however a little experience, as minor as it may be helps perspective.

The disabled are people same as everyone else and will have just as many differing viewpoints as the rest of humanity.

Some will wish to take advantage of a civilized medically supervised end and others will wish to struggle on to the end no matter how bitter it may be.

Yes, strict safeguards and oversight will be required, but how anyone can deny another person, who they have absolutely no knowledge of, the right to end their pain and suffering is beyond me.

They are imposing their morality upon the rest of us.

In the end we all die, what purpose is served by insisting that everyone, no matter what, must exist til their last natural breath even if it means agony and humiliation?

All this will mean is that more people ( who can afford to ) will choose to go abroad and end their lives prematurely because they have to do it whilst still in control and others will commit suicide to the added anguish of their loved ones.

Some of the suicides will be botched and a few people will end up in an even worse state than they were.

And all of this to satisfy the conscience of people who maintain that life is a gift from God, without actually being able to prove that assertion.

Euthanasia is such a complex emotive issue, that's why I try to examine opinions from all angles and listen to views from pro and anti.

Before Hospices and Palliative care units became more established there was less understanding about pain control management They have contributed so much in to delivering excellent quality end of life care, but the research aimed at achieving pain free symptoms for every patient needs to continue.

If the law is changed I really hope that the support for those areas of health care will continue to be supported.

Edited by janie48

I half expected some backlash when I started this thread.

I have a relative 80yrs old who had a stroke last October. After months in hospital he was placed in a care /nursing home .He is paralysed down one side double incontinent and has other conditions due to the stroke. He is total dependent on care for his needs this includes being hoisted in and out of bed, turned four times a night ,checked every night for incontinence issues ,hoisted up to be cleaned etc,etc. His mind is intact although he can forget short term .He no-longer has any quality of life and wants to die with some dignity his words. Out of respect for my uncle I talk to him with honesty and truth, I explain to him that the only way this would happen, was for him to refuse all medication and withdraw food and drink dowside is death would not be instant. Not a nice way to talk to someone but that's all I can do, to add insult to injury he is also PAYING for his care .Soon to be put right. NHS robbing B*****ds.

The sooner this Government grow some balls and aid people like my Uncle the better it will be for all concerned .We all should be able to chose when the time is right .

Euthanasia is such a complex emotive issue, that's why I try to examine opinions from all angles and listen to views from pro and anti.

Before Hospices and Palliative care units became more established there was less understanding about pain control management They have contributed so much to in delivering excellent quality end of life care, but the research aimed at achieving pain free symptoms for every patient needs to continue.

If the law is changed I really hope that the support for those areas of health care will continue to be supported.

We're not talking about euthenasia, we're taking purely about providing people with the means for them to be able to commit suicide in a less dreadful manner. Nobody, as far as I'm aware, is planning to introduce a law on euthenasia and only people of a sound mind and physically capable of taking the last step themselves would be affected by this law, and if this person didn't want to commit suicide then nobody else could do anything any different. The vast majority of people who could commit suicide generally don't even if they had the means to hand, and these people would not be affected in any way.

Palliative care is only part of the issue here. Who are you (or anybody) to tell me when my life has degenerated to the point where I don't want to be here any more? I choose to be pain reduced, rather than pain free, because I like to be able to think without feeling like I'm thinking through treacle, which is what happens when I'm out of pain, and I have the best palliative care that I could ever wish for (with a fabulous understanding palliative care consultant who treats me with every bit of respect that I could wish for) but I've now got only one fully functional limb and that is showing signs of wear and tear too.

I'm already at the stage where I need to sell my house because it's not suitable for my mobility needs and I need a house that has space for storage for wheelchair and/or buggy to enable me to get about a little better. Who knows where I will be in a few years? Will tumour MkIV have come to get me? Which bits will I lose the use of this time? Does anybody have the right to condemn me to have to live through those circumstances if I choose not to?

---------- Post added 19-07-2014 at 22:58 ----------

I half expected some backlash when I started this thread.

I have a relative 80yrs old who had a stroke last October. After months in hospital he was placed in a care /nursing home .He is paralysed down one side double incontinent and has other conditions due to the stroke. He is total dependent on care for his needs this includes being hoisted in and out of bed, turned four times a night ,checked every night for incontinence issues ,hoisted up to be cleaned etc,etc. His mind is intact although he can forget short term .He no-longer has any quality of life and wants to die with some dignity his words. Out of respect for my uncle I talk to him with honesty and truth, I explain to him that the only way this would happen, was for him to refuse all medication and withdraw food and drink dowside is death would not be instant. Not a nice way to talk to someone but that's all I can do, to add insult to injury he is also PAYING for his care .Soon to be put right. NHS robbing B*****ds.

The sooner this Government grow some balls and aid people like my Uncle the better it will be for all concerned .We all should be able to chose when the time is right .

Watching somebody you love struggle, unable to do something and fight against frustration is incredibly hard, isn't it?

Everybody who is in this situation has my sympathies. All 3 of my grandparents who were alive when I was born have died within the last 5 years and all have been in similar circumstances in terms of needing care for basic life functions. The helplessness of the situation is very hard to face sometimes.