Crawshaws market stall closed

Neither of them. The market stall and shop on the moor are both from a chain called Crawshaws.

John Crawshaws is a different chain.

John Crawshaw prides themselves on their quality whereas the Crawshaws chain is more aimed at the budget shopper. Nothing wrong with that but the similarity of names had me initially wondering why John Crawshaw was dumbing down. I bet they aren't happy about being confused with a budget chain.

John Crawshaw's is always the only stopping point when having a BBQ. The meat is of top quality and reasonably priced. Yum, just thinking about it makes me want to nip down and get the BBQ cracked on. Bad weather this weekend though so think I will give it a miss.

Im just bemused how people can confuse the two. The inside of the shop, the branding and product range are quite different.

The burger boys will be at tomorrow’s raft race challenge on Stocksbridge Underbank reservoir serving the very best burgers from local butcher John Crawshaw.

Come along and taste the finest meat in the area and help raise money for the Stocksbridge Community Leisure Centre. First race 12.30pm with plenty of stalls and activities all afternoon.

I bought a whole fillet of beef from there at Christmas. It was a bargain (£40 I think), but when I opened the vacuum pack it stank of rotten eggs. I know there are normally initial gases released when you open a pack like this, but they are meant to disappear quite quickly. I went back to Crawshaws to ask them about it, and the assured me it was 'normal'.

The smell was so strong that even when I froze the steaks it was still apparent every time I opened the freezer!

I asked my local butcher about it (without mentioning names), and he said this happens whenever meat has been left sitting in it's own juices. He said the juices end up tainting the meat, and it's so strong the steak can never pick up any flavours, and will always taste tainted. I cooked a couple, and he was spot on.

It's my own fault - no wonder they were selling them cheap!

Also, I thought they were the respectable John Crawshaw too - didn't know they were different. Lesson learnt.

Edited by holster100
Addition.

i get sausages from the moor one very nice too the rest i get from slatterys

Im just bemused how people can confuse the two. The inside of the shop, the branding and product range are quite different.

Still not been to the market, which is why I'm confused.

Neither of them. The market stall and shop on the moor are both from a chain called Crawshaws.

John Crawshaws is a different chain.

Apologies....I thought the one in the market was John Crawshaws. I am a fool and glad I've not bought owt from them inside the market either lol.