People of SF-What's the worst pain you've ever experienced?

I had renal colic. Trouble was, it was in a doctor's surgery -- and I was the doctor! There were some dozen patients to be seen; I had an assistant, but he was at the other surgery.

So the receptionist brought me a bucket to be sick in, and sprayed my back (where the pain was worst) with freezer spray. See another patient, get another spray.... and so on for an hour. Then the assistant came, took over the last four patients, and gave me a shot of pethidine. The stone passed about 2 hours later.

two completely isolated incidences that pring to mind.

aged 11 -self inflicted circumcision. well it was an accident but it hurt like buggery.

2 years ago - fell from roof of house. rib damage.bruising & muscle damage to legs & 13 breaks in my shoulder, almost removed the ball from the arm.

now that did hurt.

Trigennial neuralgia

listening to radio 2 this week, apparently a major cause of this is stress & it can be easily mistaken for a migraine attack.

i thought ide got tooth ache so went to the dentist but it didnt do anything and that night i was crying with the pain, it had spread to my eye i was banging my head against the wall it was so bad, hubby come in from work and couldnt beleive it when i went and looked in the mirror my eye looked like a cricket ball was lodged behind it, i went to the hospital and they told me it was a rare condition but they couldnt treat me as i was pregnant. the pain was awful it felt like my eyeball was about to pop out and all my teeth too. i couldnt beleive it when a bloke come in with it in both eyes.

and when my dog broke my fingers, one of them was broke and also ripped out of the knuckle its still bent and doesnt work properly. that was really nasty the pain made me feel sick :gag:

but the worst pain i have ever felt was when my eldest once ran away from home and we found a note on his bed.

The worst pain I've experienced so far was from a dry socket infection after my back tooth and wisdom tooth were extracted.

I'd passed out outside the dentist after the extraction and the impact of my head against the bus shelter dislodged the blood clot. The pain was just unbearable. I was sky high on painkillers for about a week.... but it did wonders for my diet....I lost half a stone!

Worst pain was probably:

1. Labour with my first (though I never got to the childbirth stage). On the fourth day when a nurse came in, then rushed out again, then came back with a whole host of other doctors, nurses etc I just remember saying to the Doc "are you going to put me to sleep?" He must have said yes and I replied with "well hurry up then" - or something along those lines. The back pain for months and months afterwards was excrutiating, but not as bad as those days before the ceasarian.

2. I had toothache and was taking painkillers until I could get to the dentist the next day. During the night and the next morning the pain in my stomach made the toothache insignificant. I almost passed out a couple of times - turns out i'm allergic to asprin now.

3. Gall stones - had pains for several weeks and thought it was indigestion or something. Then one night it got so bad I was crawling round on my hands and knees. Phoned NHS direct, they said someone would call me back, an hour later a nurse called, then she said a doctor would call me back, about an hour later doctor called and told me to come up to the GP co-operative at the Hallamshire. Got hubby up to drive me, he stuck to the speed limit all the way there (3am)! The pain was unbelievable. Saw a doc and just begged for something to ease the pain. Had pethadine injections when on the emergency admissions ward but they didn't seem to touch it.

4. Dawny1 - what's this 'ring of fire'? I'm having my second child soon and I've a feeling an extra paragraph might be added to this post :(:hihi:

I also get Trigeminal Neuralgia, but it is triggered by cold weather and strong winds (weird!). It isn't an acute pain but can last for hours and is very much like toothache so can make me feel quite unwell. But it's a walk in the park in comparison to most things on this thread! I also get migraines which are excruciating and put me out of action for days.

The worst pain I've ever had was when I tore a ligament in my ankle. If anyone else has done this they'll know what I mean. Doesn't sound much but is extremely painful.

Without a doubt, the worst pain I've experienced is a ruptured eardrum. I had a horrendeous earache/sinus infection that caused a bulla to form on my eardrum. It burst at 2 a.m. Christmas Day and I cried like a baby from the sheer agony of it. Lost my hearing in that ear for two weeks, too.

By the way, have you ever been in an all-night pharmacy at 3:30 a.m. on Christmas Day? It's the Village of the Damned.

I've had a few incidents which make it hard to pick.

1. A perineal abcess (just behind my left testicle), having to have it packed and unpacked was excrutiating.

2. When I had septic kidney a couple of years ago (caused by a kidney stone) I had to have a tube inserted into my kidney through my back. This was in place for 4 weeks and was very painful when the dressing were changed.

3. Shingles on the back of my neck. I think this was probably the worst just because it was so constant.

I've not been lucky with my health:(

bl**dy hel we've suffered!

- number one was definately a pilonidal sinus which left an open hole at the base of my spine about an inch deep and an inch wide which had to heal from the bottom so they packed it with dry gauze every day to keep it open that was ridculously painful ..... but then they tried a new product which consisted of two liquids which when mixed together formed a foam similar to the stuff used for filling gaps round windows ... it was red hot when they poured it into the raw wound. I can't tell you how bad the pain was as I almost blacked out and missed most of it. I had two more of these in the same year with the same treatment every day for about 12 months!

- number two were kidney stones twice in the same year. once I went into hospital for an op, they gave me the pre-med took me to theatre and I woke up later with a banging head and the pain still there. The nurse said "sorry we lost your notes so we couldn't do anything". 2nd time they ran out of theatre time, on the 3rd attempt they couldn't find them and I've never had a problem since

My wife will be giving birth later this year with our first so we can compare stories - although she did break her ankle then walk down 3 flights of stairs to wait for a lift to A&E!

-

My wife says child birth ,but to be honest i never felt a thing.

I've got severe scarring on my lungs and sometimes the pain can be unbearable :( If you can imagine someone constantly stabbing a knife into your sides you get the idea... Also taking a big gulp of cold air feels very painful against your sensitive lung tissue.