People of SF-What's the worst pain you've ever experienced?

the surgeon was fantastic and I could see the whole operations in action even though a nurse sat to my left to distract me.... I was more interested in how the equipment worked.... they thought I was quite mad and had a laugh as I tried not to flinch when they were drilling through my fingers and hand to insert the pins....

They let you watch?! Wow, makes me hopeful for my hand op. I was assuming I'd be sheeted off, but I wanna see!

They let you watch?! Wow, makes me hopeful for my hand op. I was assuming I'd be sheeted off, but I wanna see!

No, I was given an injection on all three ops..... I thought I would have been knocked out but not the case..... I did have to help out some though as place my hand in a certain position (and arm) but the surgeon was referring to a time lapse x-ray monitor which was changing picture every few seconds or so and I could see the pins going in and making the bones meet each other as they were in different places and I could see the finished job.

I am sorry you have to undergo hand surgery.... its not pleasant but well worth it, especially when you look at it in the first place and think.... "that's it!".... I was very fortunate as my consultant was top man in Europe on hand surgery..... not sure if I can name Him here but you can PM me.... I can tell you He works at Arrowe Park Hospital on the Wirral.

Good luck my friend.... I hope it works out for you. What are they doing?

I've had surgery, broken bones, crashed cars, fallen off motorcycles and all the other daft things that young men do but the worst thing I've ever suffered is shingles!! It drove me up the wall in agony for three weeks.

Acute gallstone pain, particularly if it accompanied by cholecsystitis and cholangitis, is undoubtedly one of the worst pains anyone can suffer. It will have you writhing on the floor in agony, pleading for morphia, or indeed anything to take away the pain. Moreover, the pain is not intermittent, but constant and can last for days. I spoke to a nurse who had worked in a maternity ward and she said that the women she knew who had the above conditions had all said that it was much worse than the pains of childbirth.

My advice to anyone with gallstone trouble is not to live in the hope that another attack may not occur. Attacks do tend to recur (often at inopportune times and places) and the most effective remedy is surgery (meaning removal of the gall bladder). People can live very well without a gall bladder and it is so much better than living in fear of another dreadful attack - people who have had this condition will know exactly what I mean

cluster head aches. it has got to be the worst ever pain . try to imagine a iron bar wich is connected upto a strong electric current being pushed into the back of ur skull, back and forth for 30-180 mins at a time , some days i have up to 8 attacks a day.

having two abscess in two months packed and unpacked was evil.

worse still having head stapled back together after dropping the dyson hoover on it was barbarick :gag:

I've had 6 kidney stones in the past 5 or so years. Some of them have been relatively mild and I've managed to pass the stone within an hour or so but others have gone on for much longer and I was vomiting from the pain as a roled around on the floor. I've been sent into hospital on 3 occasions with them for observation.

...although having read Redrobbo's post on them from a few years ago I think I got off lightly!

It's a toss up between toothache and sciatica ... although I think sciatica at its worst just edges it.

an abscess in my tooth.......Oh my God!! Labour pains dont even begin to compare!!

Oh Gawd, yes, I can agree with that! I was writhing in agony and my face was stuck out about a mile!

I have had broken bones (I have broke my left arm twice, and my right wrist once), I have had 2 children, a slipped disc, and have arthritus in my knees, and have also been hit by a bus and suffered broken ribs, but nothing compares to the abscess!

I'm accident prone - so I developed a very high pain threshold as a youngster. (dropping a pitchfork through my foot, dis-locating my shoulder after falling off a swing, standing on a rusty nail, catching a fisbee with my eyeball, standing on a can for that fun 'can shoe' and not seeing the fire pit it was in, etc)

It is the thought of pain that makes me cringe and dry wretch.

worst pain though, was losing my mum.

Edited by Scozzie

Definitely gallstones. I had them for 3 years before they were diagnosed and had my gallbladder removed. I've had open heart surgery but gallstones caused me the worst pain I've ever experienced, I'd hallucinate and tell my parents I wanted to die. Not good!

A close second is having arterial blood taken; I wouldn't wish that pain on anyone.

Definitely gallstones. I had them for 3 years before they were diagnosed and had my gallbladder removed. I've had open heart surgery but gallstones caused me the worst pain I've ever experienced, I'd hallucinate and tell my parents I wanted to die. Not good!

A close second is having arterial blood taken; I wouldn't wish that pain on anyone.

I had gallstones and had my gallbladder out, but the worst pain is supposed to be kidney stones, although I havent had any.