Heatwave alert on the buses

I'm a postman, have 2 dodgy knees and cycle 100 miles a week!

You know what the gentlest form of exercise is when you have bad knees? Cycling. It's a very low impact activity where joints are concerned, hence why so many ex-runners and sportsmen take it up.

No excuses!

Why have you got dodgy knees ?

Four years since I was on a bus. O happy days.

Don't gloat. Some of us have no alternative.

was definatly the heating that was on coming out of the heating panels near the floor on the stagecoach single deckers that came off the 43 route.. i sent a tweet to them and they said there was a problem with some of the buses being missed.. i also contacted first and they said it should have been turned off in may.. but 3 times today on 47 and 75 routes heating blaring out from just above the lighting on the first double deckers.. it was cooler outside than on the bus

Guest busdriver1

Some of the newer buses do have air-con but it's not used because of operating costs, they have to be maintained and regassed every so often & that costs money.

There are no buses in South Yorkshire with Air Con, working or not.

There are no buses in South Yorkshire with Air Con, working or not.

So a few years ago, when First introduced the new(er) low floor single deckers that had slogans like "Double-glazing, Buggy Friendly Air-conditioning" emblazoned in vinyl over the windows, they were lying?

Aircon adds 15 percent onto fuel usage, so if service buses were to have it (no buses in SY do have it installed) then the fares would go up and you'd be bashing the bus companies again.

The vinal on the windows was standard from the manufacturer and was promptly removed once the mistake was realised!

So a few years ago, when First introduced the new(er) low floor single deckers that had slogans like "Double-glazing, Buggy Friendly Air-conditioning" emblazoned in vinyl over the windows, they were lying?

They generally advertised 'climate control' as the air blowers on the newer buses have a thermostat, on a hot day they blow unheated air around.

Aircon adds 15 percent onto fuel usage, so if service buses were to have it (no buses in SY do have it installed) then the fares would go up and you'd be bashing the bus companies again.

You can't state that air con adds 15% to fuel usage. It's completely variable, far more efficient than it ever used to be and at certain speeds more economical than having the windows open.

Seriously though, isn't it actually removing some of the heat from the engine so it doesn't overheat, rather than just trying to warm up the bus?

What, and blowing it into the passenger compartment, because there's literally no where else it could go... :huh:

Well as I work in this industry, and 15 percent is the figure posted by the manufacturer, and even it increased it by 2 percent you imagaine that over all of first 600 and odd buses and that's a lot of money! Considering that the test regarding speed and having the windows open was conducted in a car which have bigger windows in proportion to the size of the vehicle. Also I seem to recall aircon is more efficient above 52 MPH, buses are limited to 50 MPH by law, so it's never going to reach the stage of been more efficient.

And with reference to draining heat from the engine, if that was the case, for it to remove anywhere near enough heat to make 1 degree of difference to the engine, the saloon would be 90 degrees plus!

The saloon is so hot because heat from the engine radiates through the rear panels and back seats (situated on top of the engine) directly into the saloon, which is a direct result of rear mounting engines.

So what's your point, smart arse?:loopy:

---------- Post added 24-07-2014 at 20:45 ----------

Well as I work in this industry, and 15 percent is the figure posted by the manufacturer, and even it increased it by 2 percent you imagaine that over all of first 600 and odd buses and that's a lot of money! Considering that the test regarding speed and having the windows open was conducted in a car which have bigger windows in proportion to the size of the vehicle. Also I seem to recall aircon is more efficient above 52 MPH, buses are limited to 50 MPH by law, so it's never going to reach the stage of been more efficient.

And with reference to draining heat from the engine, if that was the case, for it to remove anywhere near enough heat to make 1 degree of difference to the engine, the saloon would be 90 degrees plus!

The saloon is so hot because heat from the engine radiates through the rear panels and back seats (situated on top of the engine) directly into the saloon, which is a direct result of rear mounting engines.

Saloon? Would that be the Last Chance Saloon?