Woman jailed for 4 years for hit and run death.

I trust the court and justice system over you. Sorry.

If you was a liberal you wouldn't be so insistent on her suffering in prison.

You're missing the point, I'm not suggesting that she be made to suffer, I'm saying that she has breached her parole and the consequence should legally be that she serves the rest of her sentence (which I happen to think is very light in the first place).

And I am a liberal, feel free to dispute it, but my post history speaks for itself.

---------- Post added 07-09-2017 at 12:45 ----------

Well I've worked in that system for 30 years and to be honest I do trust it. You seem bitter about something. You should release the anger and hate you hold because you it won't do your heart any good. Especially if you're overweight.

I can't believe there's a generation of people that believe they know better than the system... :hihi::hihi:

You realise that the system is created by people and run by people. The 'system' is no more infallible than any group of people are. And given that in this case it comes down to the judgement of a single judge, it's entirely as fallible as he is.

---------- Post added 07-09-2017 at 12:48 ----------

I'm going to leave this thread now because it's getting me frustrated.

I just cannot believe how many right-wing nutjobs want to see this girl suffer even more DESPITE her doing as the law pleased. Oh and somebody claimed to work within the system? Haha don't make me laugh.... :hihi::hihi:

You right-wing people continue to spew your hatred.

You do understand that she assaulted someone whilst on parole right?

The law doesn't "want" her do anything, nor is pleased or displeased, but she has broken it, again, whilst still on license for having killed someone.

I've no idea why you think it's right wing to expect re-offenders on parole to be recalled if they break the law again.

Lots of right-wing fanatics in here calling for the book to be thrown at her.

Not entirely sure what that would achieve... She has done her time.

You're a clown...and a dangerous one at that, because you simply do not understand people, or how society holds itself together and the huge damage that people like Emma Egan do to that society.

Justice needs to be done and SEEN to be done.

Otherwise the result is the further corrosion of the glue that holds our society together.

In Mr Codling's case, I do not believe justice was done and I am sure the vast majority of people would agree.

The piece of trash that did this and her two associates should have been put away for a very long time.

I do not care if she is making good progress with her rehabilitation in the eyes of people with a vested interest in her rehabilitation.

Her further crimes illustrate the person she is, all too clearly.

I do not care about her at all...she will always be a problem for society.

My thoughts are entirely with the family of Mr Codling...because although I have never met them, I feel they are much like my family.

I have two young kids, a wife and regularly ride those roads out of Sheffield early in the morning.

I say goodbye to my family the same way, but at the back of my mind the dark fear remains...that I will not be returning

...all because of people like Emma Egan and the way we excuse their behaviour.

You're a clown...and a dangerous one at that, because you simply do not understand people, or how society holds itself together and the huge damage that people like Emma Egan do to that society.

Otherwise the result is the further corrosion of the glue that holds our society together.

In Mr Codling's case, I do not believe justice was done and I am sure the vast majority of people would agree.

The piece of trash that did this and her two associates should have been put away for a very long time.

I do not care if she is making good progress with her rehabilitation in the eyes of people with a vested interest in her rehabilitation.

My thoughts are entirely with the family of Mr Codling...because although I have never met them, I feel they are much like my family.

I have two young kids, a wife and regularly ride those roads out of Sheffield early in the morning.

I say goodbye to my family the same way, but at the back of my mind the dark fear remains...that I will not be returning

Well said. Sums up my thoughts but expressed so much better.

Great post.

You right-wing people continue to spew your hatred.

When right and left wing people of this forum come together, that just reinforces the fact she's scum.

Well said.

It's her lenient sentence that means that the person who drove into the back of me on Wed thinks he can drive off and get away with it. It could have been my family asking why it happened, luckily I just have a few bruises.

People are more than happy to go on about the 1 cyclist caused death this year and how he should be punished, but kill someone with a car and you'll most likely get away with it or be given a very lenient sentence.

Well said.

It's her lenient sentence that means that the person who drove into the back of me on Wed thinks he can drive off and get away with it. It could have been my family asking why it happened, luckily I just have a few bruises.

People are more than happy to go on about the 1 cyclist caused death this year and how he should be punished, but kill someone with a car and you'll most likely get away with it or be given a very lenient sentence.

Very true...there is a double standard.

If the London cyclist had been in a car, I reckon he would receive a lesser sentence.

I think the reason for the outrage with the case in London is because of the sheer rarity of it and also the peculiar relationship the British public have with cyclists (who are looked down on because of some bizarre class based nonsense)

Meanwhile the daily toll on the roads continues...as though it is the price we must pay for the convenience of the car...

I may also be a car driver, but I will never accept that.

200 miles east is the answer - The Netherlands.

I spent two weeks there recently cycling with the kids in a totally safe, respectful environment. No helmets, no high visibility jackets, just loads of respectful drivers keeping their distance.

That should be the future...but the Dutch obtained this the hard way, by protesting in the streets about the number of kids being killed on their roads.

I don't think the British are ready to make that step yet...

Feel sorry for the family... it's just unfair

A lifetime driving ban and eight year custodial sentence seems more appropriate to me.

The cyclist who caused the death in London should have had a similar sentence.

The fact that someone through their own irresponsible actions has caused the death of someone else is what matters. If they were driving a car or tram, riding a bike or whatever should surely be incidental.

Edited by xsf7

A lifetime driving ban and eight year custodial sentence seems more appropriate to me.

The cyclist who caused the death in London should have had a similar sentence.

The fact that someone through their own irresponsible actions has caused the death of someone else is what matters. If they were driving a car or tram, riding a bike or whatever should surely be incidental.

I struggle to understand why there aren't more manslaughter charges for death by dangerous driving? Surely if you were doing something reckless and someone died and it was unrelated to a car you'd likely be looking at a manslaughter charge, so why are vehicles suddenly different?

I struggle to understand why there aren't more manslaughter charges for death by dangerous driving? Surely if you were doing something reckless and someone died and it was unrelated to a car you'd likely be looking at a manslaughter charge, so why are vehicles suddenly different?

IDK - I think most people feel the same way and the law should be changed.

IDK - I think most people feel the same way and the law should be changed.

The "causing death by dangerous driving" law was brought in because it was believed that juries were reluctant to convict on a manslaughter charge. I think that was wrong. Reckless behaviour should be able to result in a manslaughter charge and conviction.

I think that the "causing death by..." type charges send out the wrong signal as they highlight the death (which people never expect to cause) instead of the dangerous driving, which is the core problem.

Edit. Maybe judges should spend a bit more time explaining manslaughter to juries, and ask 2 simple questions, somethibg along the lines of

1. Was the driving reckless (and explain what constitutes reckless) and

2. Did it cause death

If both, then you should convict them of manslaughter.

Edited by Eater Sundae