Gas supply to oven has packed up :

Although the automatic ignition on my gas oven packed up a while ago, the gas still worked and I was able to use the oven. Now for some reason, the gas has stopped working although the 4 burners and eye level grill still work fine.

What is causing this and, assuming it's repairable, what's the likely cost for it to be repaired? :help::help::help:

Although the automatic ignition on my gas oven packed up a while ago, the gas still worked and I was able to use the oven. Now for some reason, the gas has stopped working although the 4 burners and eye level grill still work fine.

What is causing this and, assuming it's repairable, what's the likely cost for it to be repaired? :help::help::help:

use "search forum" --enter gas fitters!!

Thanks I did. They've said that without seeing it, that after taking account of their call out rate and the cost of replacement parts which could be anything that it's probably going to be cheaper to buy a new one :(

Not being cheeky but is the oven - the vents where the gas comes through - clean? Cos if it isn't it won't work. Been caught out with this before myself! :)

Thanks for your suggestion.

I've absolutely no idea!!! Bought it in 1992 and it's worked with my regular deep clean once a year ever since without any servicing or maintenancing. I'm getting a new kitchen and appliances etc so hardly worth laying out a fortune to get it sorted - although it would be convenience for it to work at least for the next 6 months or so while I sort out kitchen plans/designs etc etc etc.

---------- Post added 17-07-2014 at 16:08 ----------

Not being cheeky but is the oven - the vents where the gas comes through - clean? Cos if it isn't it won't work. Been caught out with this before myself! :)

where are these vents that you're talking about? I had an accident recently and spilled a load of oatmeal down by where the gas flames are at the back of the oven. I've never been able to clean it properly but that was a while ago and by now they should have been burnt to smithereens :)

where are these vents that you're talking about? I had an accident recently and spilled a load of oatmeal down by where the gas flames are at the back of the oven. I've never been able to clean it properly but that was a while ago and by now they should have been burnt to smithereens :)

Oh for goodness sake! :roll:

Use a bit of common sense. Get your head stuck (not literally) in the oven and get it cleaned out.

Isn't it obvious that 'a load of oatmeal' is not going to do the gas jets a lot of good and is going to clog them up?

BTW: Just make sure the gas is turned off before you stick your head in the oven!!!

Thought I'd mention that as the consequences of putting your head inside an unlit but turned on gas cooker might not be immediately obvious to some. :shakes:

Oh for goodness sake! :roll:

Isn't it obvious that 'a load of oatmeal' is not going to do the gas jets a lot of good and is going to clog them up?

NO - not my area of expertise - :o but now that you mention it, I'll give the issue a bit of thought and see what thought went and did :D :D :D

Thanks for your suggestion.

You need to clean your oven then! Burnt they may be but things that are burnt leave residue.

Sounds like the flame failure device has packed in.

The automatic ignition has also packed up on one of our burners. I managed to look through the back and found the wire still attached. I then connected my testmeter to the to the piece where the spark originates and the voltage is spiking exactly the same as the other three. I asked at the cooker spares place at Hillsborough and was told it was a faulty sparker and they could order one. The thing is,is it worth it? It doesn't cost much,but can anyone on here tell me how it's removed ?