Sheffield manufacturing is dead :(

Or actually, it is doing really well. Firth Rixson just got a big contract worth 550 million which will surely benefit investment in the city.

A few years ago the Chamber of Commerce explained that although job growth here would be slower than in other cities (like Leeds) but manufacturing would provide more durable long term jobs and Sheffield is ahead there.

Seems they were on the money!

Or actually, it is doing really well. Firth Rixson just got a big contract worth 550 million which will surely benefit investment in the city.

A few years ago the Chamber of Commerce explained that although job growth here would be slower than in other cities (like Leeds) but manufacturing would provide more durable long term jobs and Sheffield is ahead there.

Seems they were on the money!

Yeah but... no but... yeah but... :huh:

Lets hope so, but according to the article less than 25% of the workforce is based in Sheffield (550 out of 2400) with factories also in North America and China.

And 3 weeks ago the company was sold to the US metals giant Alcoa.

And the contract is a 10 year deal to supply United Technologies Corporation in Connecticut.

Now I hope I'm wrong here, but I think I can see where most of the jobs are going to be located... :roll:

Lets hope so, but according to the article less than 25% of the workforce is based in Sheffield (550 out of 2400) with factories also in North America and China.

And the contract is a 10 year deal to supply United Technologies Corporation in Connecticut.

Now I hope I'm wrong here, but I think I can see where most of the jobs are going to be located... :roll:

This is how businesses work these days, different owners, multiple locations. I am not saying Sheffield will get a lot of this money directly, but it is a success story none-the-less.

I think I know where most of the new jobs will be located as well, at the factories that take on most of the new work. I doubt that each factory has the same role within the business so the new jobs should follow the new work.

This is how businesses work these days, different owners, multiple locations. I am not saying Sheffield will get a lot of this money directly, but it is a success story none-the-less.

So what you are saying is an American Company who happens to have a factory in the UK has got a big order to supply another American company over a number of years.

It sounds like one factory in America will be supplying another factory in America with a lot of stuff from their subsidiary in China.

Never underestimate the skills in engineering sheffield has. These said skills as I have mentioned before are starting to sadly die out. While ever big company's recognise these said skills and send work sheffields way. Maybe we will get a new generation of engineers. These youngsters will able to handle the "new" technologies in engineering ie cnc,cad cam,programing software, etc etc

With ease, what they need to learn off the old boys , is how to engineer a job, methods etc. One day maybe whatever government is in will realize the value in encouraging youngsters into not just engineering apprenticeships but all apprenticeships, .instead of universities and so called dream careers that sadly most will not achieve.