William Hague to stand down from Parliament

this surprises me and I wasn't expecting it at all. Whatever you think about him and his many and various viewpoints over the years, he is still one of the best debaters there is there and the place will miss him.

just like it was far too early for him to become Tory party leader in 1997, it is also far too early for him to quit politics altogether.

He will have a job in the media lined up .

its a shame hes going he would have made a good PM

its a shame hes going he would have made a good PM

The electorate didn't seem to think so in 2001. Mind you, they re-elected Blair who subsequently took us to war in Iraq so what to they know. ;)

The electorate didn't seem to think so in 2001. Mind you, they re-elected Blair who subsequently took us to war in Iraq so what to they know. ;)

thats the problem though a lot of the electorate just vote on their past traditions without really understanding.

thats the problem though a lot of the electorate just vote on their past traditions without really understanding.

Given how recently there'd been a series of Tory governments, I don't think you can blame Hague's loss on that.

The electorate didn't seem to think so in 2001.

He wasn't suitable material in 2001. He was the Miliband or Menzies-Campbell of the time.

I see that the former 'Chief Executive' of Sheffield City Council Sir Bob Kerslake is to retire as Head of the Civil Service. Is it just me or has there been a proliferation of these Chief Executives of public bodies over the last few years. They're multiplying like bacteria. Hospitals, Colleges, Councils and the like all seem to have to have them - and of course, they command a huge salary. Still I suppose it solves the problem of what to do with all that extra public money :)

He wasn't suitable material in 2001. He was the Miliband or Menzies-Campbell of the time.

That, plus the sheer dominance that Blair had over British politics at the time. Could any other Tory have done much better electorally between 1997 - 2001?

It doesn't matter what reason you have for voting the way you do, it won't make any difference in the end.

Our Democracy is a myth.