Help- problem with Renault Scenic - won't start

Hi I have a 2000 X reg Renault Scenic 1.6 Alize sport.

Last week whilst out it started spluttering and came to a standstill.there was a strong smell of petrol. luckily I know someone who knows a lot about cars so they came to help me and it turned out the fuel pipe had come loose so they fixed it back in. And has been ok for last couple of days but yesterday it started reaking of fuel again and was some leaking on the road. I came to go out in it last night and now it won't even start. :( tried again this morning and still won't start. I've checked under the bonnet ( pretty clueless ) but fuel pipe isn't loose so can't be that. I do know it's been overfilled with oil and needs an oil pump. could this be causing the issue?

Any ideas what else it could be? As it can't be driven so can't get it to a garage at the moment. Fuel gauge says it's a quarter full so don't think it's out of fuel.

Tried googling it and seems there are issues with fuel pumps and relays on this model.

Only had it a month but it was a private sale sold as seen. I've been in touch with previous owner but they said it never had this problem and I have to say for past month has shown no signs of it. I do know it has other issues like a back box that needs replacing, new shock absorbers and 2 new back wheels as I had it checked over by a garage after I bought it but they never mentioned any issues petrol or fuel pump wise.

Just concerned if this is a big issue coupled with other work that needs doing that it may be better to scrap it? Or sell as spares and repairs.

Any advice appreciated especially on the fuel issue/reason for non starting.

The biggest problem you have is that it's a Renault!!! Sorry to say, not the best or most reliable make!

As that now can't be changed it's no help to you......this may sound a random question, but there is another thread on here about people who have recently filled up with fuel at Morrisons having all sorts of problems with their cars spluttering, not starting, or starting and then cutting out....have you recently filled up there?

I do know it's been overfilled with oil and needs an oil pump. could this be causing the issue?

Very possibly. The excess should have been removed immediately it was overfilled.

Just google "oil overfilled and read the horror stories.

Sounds like even if you repair the fuel issue it would still be an MOT failure. I'd get it towed to a garage and get a quote for all the required work then either have ALL the issues sorted or scrap the PoS.

jb

No not filled up at morrisons.

MOT isn't due whilst feb. I know the other issues need sorting but just more concerned about the fuel issue. I didn't overfill with oil- previous owners did. Only found out about it on Friday. Guess I was just wondering if other scenic owners had had this problem and what the outcome was.

I had the same model and the same problem, mine turned out to be the crankshaft sensor that was dirty / faulty.

Thanks mr pops. was it expensive to sort out? it's funny you should say that as I managed to find a garage who are going to recover the vehicle to their garage today to have a look and guy on the phone said it sounded like it was the crankshaft sensor.

Can't speak for Renault but they tend to be under £25 on Pugs. Quick easy fix. A diagnostic check should tell you if its faulty - P0335?

Thanks mr pops. was it expensive to sort out? it's funny you should say that as I managed to find a garage who are going to recover the vehicle to their garage today to have a look and guy on the phone said it sounded like it was the crankshaft sensor.

£20.00 i think :)