Leaking Bath Trap..Help!!

I have recently changed my bath taps, as they are at the back of the bath I had to remove the whole thing to do this, since it has been put back in I cannot stop the waste from leaking.

The waste consists of a Polypipe WT58 bath trap and the leak is from the connection between the top of this and the bath waste fitting, I have tried PTFE tape, changed the trap for a new one etc etc but every I drain the bath I get a slow leak, what can I do??

Take it off and fit a better one??

Use some silicone to seal it up??

Are you sure it's not missing a rubber washer or something between the two bits of pipe??

I think it may be what geared said... Double check the rubber washers are there and in place correctly before you do anything else.

Yes the black rubber washer is in place, I may go down the silicone route cos its driving me barmy now.

I had this problem and although it looked like it was leaking from the same position as yours it turned out I'd managed to dislodge the waste fitting as it went through into the bath so water was managing to seep through there and then it merrily trickled down following the screw thread . It almost invisible and I only figured it out when I put a few pieces of tissue down around the fitting and then ran some water into the bath and left it sitting for a while, annoyingly as well it only got worse when there was a decent amount of water in the bath.

I thought it could be from there but I've reseated and siliconed all that before I put the tub back in, I've checked round that and it's dry, it's definitely from the other joint, so annoying :help:

No silicone please! Not here.

If necessary, try two or three turns of ptfe tape on the bath waste thread, making sure that there is an overlap at the base of the thread. Gently tease the overlap over the face that the washer fits up to. Make sure that the face of the trap and the washer fits snugly before you start tightening the nut and that there is no stress from any ill fitting waste pipe. Tighten the nut, hand-tight only. If this doesn't work, one of the components is likely at fault, most likely from a previous cross-threading.

Agree with Andy. My money would be on the trap being cross threaded (maybe only slightly) but this would explain the leak.

Its easily done :-(

Might have another go tomorrow but I don't hold out much hope :mad:

Where'd you get the bath trap from??

I know some of the cheaper waste kits Wickes sell have about a gazillion negative reviews stating leaks.

I guess sometimes they don't make the moulds for them right and they're too loose a fit to actually hold water.

It was from Graham's plumbers merchants, tried it again today following some of the advice given above and it's leaking worse than ever now, it's driving me mad :help: