Were you taught about Mary Queen of Scots being in Sheffield at School

We were taught about her in normal history classes, funnily enough we were taught a lot of local history,the forges,button makers etc in Hackenthorpe in geography classes.

We were also taught some local stuff in what was then referred to as Humanities.

---------- Post added 14-07-2014 at 15:56 ----------

What makes you think it was somehow deliberate? Rather than it just being the case that the curriculum didn't include it.

---------- Post added 14-07-2014 at 11:13 ----------

Presumably the case for much of the UK?

The national history museum is running a "million years of history" exhibit at the moment. I've not been in, but I expect it includes some information about early occupation of this island.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creswell_Crags

Creswell Crags were apparently occupied up to 43 thousand years ago!

On a guided walk some 2-3 years ago we were informed that the geographical landscape of Creswell Crags runs to North Anston where there is another "gorge" and little cave features. Obviously potential that the whole area of that geological formations was occupied around the same time.

Yes, but although she was a historical figure, she wasnt that important in the big scheme of things/ overall syllabus imo.

I love history and when I went to school in the 60s we were taught about Mary Queen of Scots and her time in Sheffield and British history both modern and ancient.

I live five minutes from those caves and little gorge features.

We have some of the rarest flowers growing in ANSTON STONES and huge trees growing out of the rocks.

---------- Post added 14-07-2014 at 20:49 ----------

Sorry. Off subject. Sorry.

Going to Saint Oswalds it was hard to not know about it as it backed on to our school plying fields

Going to Saint Oswalds it was hard to not know about it as it backed on to our school plying fields

Snap...................................Back fields and the lion rock.

I always felt sorry for M.Q. of Scots when the teacher told me, in all sincerity, that she was imprisoned in Sheffield. The time was 1941 when we were all starving and lived in Back-Backs without a bathroom or inside toilet and a living room fire was a luxury. I couldn't prevent the tears falling when I was informed she only had four horses.

Thanks for all your input!

As I said in my original post, I loved history and was given a good grounding in the subject, which did of course include Mary Queen of Scots. Unlike Megalithic, Rosseyrooney & Veritas who lived near Manor Lodge, and Cookingfat50 who said the Lodge was mentioned in a list of places that Mary was imprisoned, I didn't know, at the time, of Manor Lodge in Sheffield, so if the Sheffield connection was put in that way to me it obviously went right over my head! As far as I knew, Mary escaped from Lochleven, came to England & was kept a prisoner in various places that meant nothing to me, until the Babington Plot was uncovered and she was taken to Fotheringhay Castle where she was exececuted. At no time in my history lessons was the fact that she spent 14 of her 18 years imprisonment in and around Sheffield made apparent to me.

In short, I suppose this is one example of how my memory of the history I was taught at school gave me a real sense of British History, but no sense of Sheffield History.

Snap...................................Back fields and the lion rock.

I think having your head choped off is sory of normal for Sheffield girls school:D:D

The trouble with " history " is that a lot of it is untrue. 9/11 is a prime example, the Robin Hood story is another. So unless there is concrete evidence I don't believe it. In the last 60 years there has been hardly anything printed or spoken by the Western media which we can take for granted as true, in fact most of it is blatant lies.

The trouble with " history " is that a lot of it is untrue. 9/11 is a prime example, the Robin Hood story is another. So unless there is concrete evidence I don't believe it. In the last 60 years there has been hardly anything printed or spoken by the Western media which we can take for granted as true, in fact most of it is blatant lies.

Which history book is Robin Hood in?

No idea Jim but which history book is 9/11 in but you can bet your life it will be eventually as told by the Western media. A load of rubbish of course but I know stories about the Korean war which were broadcast and were pure invention. Recently they discovered Richard 111 body in Leicester and they're now having to re-write the history books on that.

There was a thread or two about Robin Hoode on this forum by the way.

---------- Post added 27-07-2014 at 19:39 ----------

Having read the thread header again I'm pretty sure Mary Queen of Scots didn't go to school in Sheffield.