Very Slow internet Castlebeck Drive

On the small chance someone from Castlebeck reads this.....

Is anyone else having issues with their ADSL (not Fibre Optic) Broadband ? I have had the engineers out half a dozen times now and they say it is a REIN issue. The REIN team have been down but couldn't gain access to the trouble hotspot.

Apparently if they do not get access to where ever the issue is coming from it can not be fixed, which is rubbish as my internet is running at about 1-2 meg.

Who ever it is that is causing all kinds of electrical interference please geee oer!!!

:help::hihi:

Did the REIN guys tell you where the trouble was?

Hi. No they just said they couldn't get access to the property. They know exactly where it is though apparently.

I would go back to your ISP and ask them what they would suggest next.

They may be able to get more info off OR/BT.

It can depend on whats causing the noise in the first place. Sometimes the cause cannot be removed and the only solution is to filter the interference out of the system - sadly the way that BT do that still involves them getting acces to the property and it doesn't necessarily filter as much as you need.

I was under the impression that if its giving THAT MUCH interference then its illegal to use because its clearly faulty or never met the UK regulations for electrical interference in the first place.

The Electromagnetic Compatibility Regulations 2006

16. No person shall put into service apparatus unless it complies with the essential requirements when properly installed, maintained and used for its intended purpose.

Essential Requirements

(2) Equipment shall be designed and manufactured, having regard to the state of the art, so as to ensure that—

(a)the electromagnetic disturbance it generates does not exceed a level above which radio and telecommunications equipment or other equipment cannot operate as intended; and

(b)it has a level of immunity to the electromagnetic disturbance to be expected in its intended use which allows it to operate without unacceptable degradation of its intended use.

Enforcement

The Directive is enforced in the United Kingdom by the Trading Standards Service and Ofcom. For practical purposes, other bodies (e.g. the Health and Safety Executive) may also be involved in investigations into non-compliant products.
Edited by AlexAtkin

Hi. No they just said they couldn't get access to the property. They know exactly where it is though apparently.

If they can't do anything and the REIN interferes with MW radio reception (which uses the same frequencies ) , try contacting OFCOM.

A few years ago I had the same problem and since they didn't have a complaints procedure for broadband I reported it as MW radio interference.

A nice chap with a radio scanner turned up and confirmed the location of interference. He went to investigate and shortly afterwards the problem was solved.

If the interference is effecting enough properties I believe OFCOM have the authority to force a solution.

I was under the impression that if its giving THAT MUCH interference then its illegal to use because its clearly faulty or never met the UK regulations for electrical interference in the first place.

Depends on what the kit is. I can easily wipe out broadband over a half mile area simply by firing up my amateur radio kit - but that's perfectly legal and well within the regulations. Essentially broadband shouldn't be operating on the same frequencies as other licenced services. You can get round it by fitting appropriate suppressors to the phone lines and in the cabinets but BT etc generally dont bother unless there is a problem as there is no need to.

Hi all, thanks for all the replies. They have found where the issue is coming from but cannot do anything about it, so 1-2 meg is the best I am going to get :-(

Did they give you any details as to where and what the cause was? There is usually something that can be done - it's just a matter of how much money they are willing to spend....

Yeah I think that's utter BS, whoever is causing the interference has a legal responsibility to NOT be causing it. Unless of course it IS an amateur radio broadcaster.