Isle Of Skye - accommodation?

I remember being in a cafe in Glenrothes (i.e. not especially far north) where Scottish Gaelic was exclusively spoken. In 1990 ish at any rate.

In Aberdeen I gather Norwegian is widely spoken.

I remember being in a cafe in Glenrothes (i.e. not especially far north) where Scottish Gaelic was exclusively spoken. In 1990 ish at any rate.

In Aberdeen I gather Norwegian is widely spoken.

There are places south of the Highlands where people speak Gaelic such as Glenrothes but it's not the norm. The Norwegian speakers in Aberdeen are there because of the oil industry. There are also Norse speakers in Orkney and Shetland - but then both islands were Norse at one point.

However Gaelic is not a first language for the majority of Scots and isn't widely taught in schools. Like anywhere else in the UK they speak English with a regional accent which differs depending on where you are.

I'm going in a few weeks and staying in a self catering place. Will let you know how it goes!

This is where we're staying

http://www.bayviewcroft.co.uk/

Thanks. Looks a nice place. Certainly one to consider.

---------- Post added 13-07-2014 at 12:21 ----------

It depends on what you want of course, but if you are going for walking/climbing than the Sligachan Hotel is well placed near the Cuilins, It is also very central to the rest of the island, meaning you can get places.

Thanks. Not sure about the walking/climbing bit but looks a great place to stay.

It depends really what you want. If you want to be near a town then Portree is probably the place to head for.

Glenelg is lovely but it is a bit remote. Anywhere around the Cuillins is beautiful and very quiet. Great base for walking.

It depends really what you want. If you want to be near a town then Portree is probably the place to head for.

Glenelg is lovely but it is a bit remote. Anywhere around the Cuillins is beautiful and very quiet. Great base for walking.

Now you mentioned Glenelg, I can't believe I didn't mention the Glenelg Inn! Spent a few good sessions in there, lovely owner and a great place to explore around Skye as well as Skye itself, quick ferry over puts you on Skye in minutes.

Now you mentioned Glenelg, I can't believe I didn't mention the Glenelg Inn! Spent a few good sessions in there, lovely owner and a great place to explore around Skye as well as Skye itself, quick ferry over puts you on Skye in minutes.

Lol it does but a bit of a bendy road to get over on a very steep hill both sides so not for the faint hearted. I don't like that bridge I confess from Kyle of Lochalsh but it is quicker than the old ferry.

Hi try SHILOH Isle of Skye take a look at this site 'www.isleofskye.com'.

This a place I have used for over 8 weeks this year for accomadation for 2 of our engineers while upgrading the local hospital, I have also stayed there as their as the project manager. It is a new build and the owener is a nurse from the local hospital and it is spotless with off road parking.

Fully recomend it.

As a Senior Engineer for the NHS I prefer staying there than the local hotels.

Hope this helps

Thanks Sandie. Loads of useful info there.

Just reporting in as I said I would. the Bayview Croft is just brilliant. About 5 mile drive to Portree which you can see across the bay. Stunning view. The house is great - warm and cosy and it's none too warm outside at the mo!

3 bedrooms - two ensuite but also nice big bathroom. Good kitchen. Utility with a washer and separate dryer.

Thoroughly recommend :)