Bands at the Top Rank.

I was recently talking with an old friend about bands we saw at the Rank the ones that come to mind to name a few were AC/DC Elvis Costello and the Attractions The Beat and one of the best live bands I've ever seen The Undertones the place was bouncing that night.

I remember seeing the Stranglers and getting the keyboard players autograph on a pack of Embassy No 10s. I think the support band were the Human League in their early days and they were playing behind plastic screens because the punks would chuck beer & gob on them.

I also saw the Pretenders and I think Siouxsie and the Banshees there. I even played there at one of the Battle of the Bands nights. Can't remember who won, but we came last.

I saw Amen Corner and David Bowie there in the late 60s/early 70s

The Damned, Stray Cats, Adam and the Ants, all around 78/79. We had this venue, the uni', the poly, the City Hall, The Leadmill and The Limit all pulling in class acts.How lucky we were in those days!

The Police, Members, Comsat Angels,Eddie and the Hot Rods,this was during the 3 day week in the 70's if my memory serves me. Remember it was on a Sunday night and to get around the laws you had to become a member or summat. Remember it cost 50p to get in

The Police, Members, Comsat Angels,Eddie and the Hot Rods,this was during the 3 day week in the 70's if my memory serves me. Remember it was on a Sunday night and to get around the laws you had to become a member or summat. Remember it cost 50p to get in

I think it was called Improvision.

You could get also free tickets from Revolution records on the gallery above castle markets.

I saw some great bands at Improvision and some not so great, just cos it was free or cheap. Happy Days

Saw some awesome bands at Top Rank, many already mentioned, saw The Clash at least once, The Jam, Stranglers several times , Boomtown Rats, Stray Cats, . It was around the time of rock on the rates which also had some great bands, all free.

Edited by shazzamattazza

Iron Maiden, Samson and Angelwitch, this was when Di'Anno was Maidens frontman and Dickinson was in Samson.

Can't remember the year though.

Girlschool a couple of times too

---------- Post added 13-07-2014 at 20:50 ----------

ACDC, Witchfynde Magnum and Def Leppard on the 'on through the night' tour, the 80's were amazing for seeing bands of all genre's

Edited by 40summat

Saw Eddie and the Hot Rods, supported by the Members in 1978.

Nicky Tesco stopped the gig, mid song to which the band struck up a Pretenderesque 'Stop Your Gobbin' to the band (I think because one band had a guitarist who contracted Hep B by being gobbed at and it hit him in the eye. Needless to say the Members were then plastered in phlegm. I wore a SHAM ARMY button badge to which the Members drummer took a dislike backstage and threatened to kick my head in.

E&THR were superb. The Members Sound of the Suburbs was met with huge amounts of violence. Think the Radio Stars were the third act.

PCD

I remember seeing the Stranglers and getting the keyboard players autograph on a pack of Embassy No 10s. I think the support band were the Human League in their early days and they were playing behind plastic screens because the punks would chuck beer & gob on them.

I also saw the Pretenders and I think Siouxsie and the Banshees there. I even played there at one of the Battle of the Bands nights. Can't remember who won, but we came last.

I remember going one night and it was a rock band night I know here was about a dozen bands on some now well known, and go back years but just can't bring to mind who they were called because of a stroke

My Uncle Frank was the manager there! Sadly we're no longer in touch, would have loved to hear some of the stories.

Saw The Pretenders and Ian Dury and the Blockheads there - brilliant times