We’re excited to announce the forum is under new management! Details to follow.

SEN Sheffield - Anyone else having problems for next years school?

As the title suggests... it's coming up to the last week of this years term and we are desperately trying to get my stepson moved from Abbey Special School in Kimberworth to the more efficient and much more suited, Talbot in Sheffield.

To say we are having a nightmare - just wow!

It's been going on MONTHS and still is nowhere near completion and I was wondering if anyone else is having trouble as well with their own situations.

Cheers

To say I am having problems is an understatement. I am trying to get a change of school for my daughter and it has been going on now for about five months. Every time I ring I get the same response that someone will ring back and they never do. Now apparently they're "moving offices" what a joke.

To say I am having problems is an understatement. I am trying to get a change of school for my daughter and it has been going on now for about five months. Every time I ring I get the same response that someone will ring back and they never do. Now apparently they're "moving offices" what a joke.

Same excuse for me as well.

I'd definitely mention that you'd like to complain as we've now been in touch with 'Anna' who's supposed to be the boss.

Hope this helps!

My son is due to start a SEN secondary school next September and I'm struggling - Tapton is fab for his needs but it's the other side of Sheffield, he's not a great traveller and it's filling me with dread. Can't find anything over the north side at all.

Buy a voice recorder from argos and from now on tell them you're recording the call- I'm betting you'll get a better response.

Someone was recently banned from School for recording a conversation with the full consent of the teacher so I would be careful going down that route.

Id go give your local MP a call and see if they can get things moving, when did you last have a statement review? would it be worth calling an emergency review meeting?

Someone was recently banned from School for recording a conversation with the full consent of the teacher so I would be careful going down that route.

I've had great success with companies who otherwise fob people off, so I'd recommend it highly.

Plus, if you've told the person you're recording, and they continue, they've given their consent, so no comeback is possible.

I'd be interested in hearing the actual details of the alleged 'banning'.

Finally, for those uncomfortable with telling people they're recording the call, it may be usefull to claim a medical reason, such as memory issues.

It's routine for companies to record all calls for 'quality control' purposes- no reason the customers can't do the same.

Id go give your local MP a call and see if they can get things moving, when did you last have a statement review? would it be worth calling an emergency review meeting?

Statements of SEND only exist for another 6 weeks. From 1st September they are replaced by Education and Health Care Plans

The new Code of Practice still needs to be approved by Parliament but you can read (almost 300 pages) it at https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/send-code-of-practice-0-to-25

Hopefully it will lead to better working together and children and parents are at the heart of this

Statements of SEND only exist for another 6 weeks. From 1st September they are replaced by Education and Health Care Plans

The new Code of Practice still needs to be approved by Parliament but you can read (almost 300 pages) it at https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/send-code-of-practice-0-to-25

Hopefully it will lead to better working together and children and parents are at the heart of this

Not for the children who already have a statement of SEN tho they will all change over at some point, its will just be the new applications from September to start with. At least this is my understanding, really need to get my head around the new system!!

I too have been having problems. Today they simply haven't been answering the phones at all.

What a time to move offices, at the end of term, when some children don't even have a school to go to in September!

I put a formal complaint in to Head of Children's Services a few weeks ago about the lack of communication. We went for over 4 weeks without anyone phoning us back from SEN despite numerous messages and emails, and we were in crisis with child out of school. I would recommend others do the same.

The SEN department seems to be in crisis at the moment and it is not acceptable for all the families affected.

It seems i am in the same boat as a few of you. It went to panel last November regarding my daughter and it was decided she needed to go to a new school and i have never heard from them since, not had a single letter or phone call. I have phoned SEN 5 times over recent weeks, to be told someone will ring me back and they never have, i also emailed and never got a reply. My daughters current school have also tried and got the same 'someone will call you back'. Its absolutely disgusting how they are treating people.