A warning for dog owners at Stannington

I have been asked to bring to your attention that there have been 5 unexpected dog deaths in the Stanwood Avenue/Goodison Crescent area of Stannington which would appear to have been caused by poisoning :(

Even worse I have to tell you that it now appears that Harvey had also suffered this same fate, his owners Keeley and Simon are absolutely devastated to have found out today about the other dogs and having been round to see other owners to find that the symptoms were just the same, after calling the vet that looked after Harvey and had been unable to save him the vet confirmed that his symptoms were symptomatic of poisoning but it was to late to help him :cry:

Please keep a look out and be careful with your dogs in that area :(

Oh no, that's awful.

As if Harvey hadn't already been through enough. Keeley and Simon must be distraught.

Oh no, that's awful.

As if Harvey hadn't already been through enough. Keeley and Simon must be distraught.

Yes, what a truly terrible way for things to end for them all, and now no way to know for sure as Harvey's ashes came back today, they feel pretty sure that it is the same thing after speaking to other dog owners that lost their dogs, poor Harvey it was just never meant to be for him was it :(

I live on Stanwood Crescent and have learned of other doggy deaths near me. My dog Summer died on Saturday of poisoning same as the others according to the symptoms that have been described to me.

I am going to try and find out more details as this has left our family devastated - our dog was only just 1 year old.:mad:

I have been asked to bring to your attention that there have been 5 unexpected dog deaths in the Stanwood Avenue/Goodison Crescent area of Stannington which would appear to have been caused by poisoning :(

Even worse I have to tell you that it now appears that Harvey had also suffered this same fate, his owners Keeley and Simon are absolutely devastated to have found out today about the other dogs and having been round to see other owners to find that the symptoms were just the same, after calling the vet that looked after Harvey and had been unable to save him the vet confirmed that his symptoms were symptomatic of poisoning but it was to late to help him :cry:

Please keep a look out and be careful with your dogs in that area :(

Horrible. Are the police involved?

I am calling the authority's today but if anyone has any other information it would be helpful. I would like to contact the other victims of this terrible crime

Could I ask about the symptoms please? Might be helpful so people know what to look out for?

My mum lives in the Stannington area and this time last year her dog suddenly started vomiting and then collapsed - 3 days in the vets on a drip and a massive bill later he could finally come home but that was due to a suspected poisoning too! Though mum walked him in the village park at the time.

I've also heard if a few dogs being poisoned down Rivelin, but not been able to confirm it? Some real awful people out there! After watching the suffering of moms little one due to his illness why anyone would do that to an animal is beyond me!

I've heard shooters grove have been plagued with rats & have put rat poison down in that area near the field?dont know of there's any truth in it though.

This is terrible and I am so very sorry for those whose dogs have died, and for their owners of course. For the foreseeable future (at least until the cause is found and eliminated) it might be best to keep dogs on a lead when walking them and if they tend to scavenge, use a muzzle. I am wondering if it would be useful for someone who lives in that area to go round putting some posters up in shops etc advising folk to watch their dogs carefully? There must be many dog owners who don't read this forum.

Hi,

As you all know we are the owners of Harvey, its now 4 weeks since we lost him, cant believe its still happening, if people on here want to contact us by pm i will give you our address or phone number.

If this is a person doing this, then have a long hard look at yourself in a mirror. We spent 14 weeks trying our hardest to give Harvey a better life, we had loads of people donate to help him, not to mention the followers on here and his face book page, to have it all taken away.

Our hearts go out to the other poor people who have lost their dogs.

The same thing has been happening up wisewood over the passed couple of months too! My nan lost her 5yr dog to poisoning last month, we then learned that two more dogs from the same street passed away and three cats!

Im not sure if this is an individual who is doing this or if some really strong chemical is being used on the pavements to kill weeds etc?

Also, just some more advise, stannington village park has been a danger to take your dog for quite sometime, this though I believe is down to individuals as quite a few dogs were poisoned by food placed in the grass!! and some food had nails sticking out of them..

Thanks for posting this, I'm sorry to hear of everyone's losses. I'm a dog owner living on Stanwood Crescent so I'll certainly spread the word to fellow pet owners.