Once more Sheffield's Graves Park is used as a council tip.

Is it acceptable for the council to use parkland as a tipping ground.  

154 members have voted

1. 1. Is it acceptable for the council to use parkland as a tipping ground.

• Yes I have no problem with part of Graves Park being used as a tip
    • No. The land should not be used for this storing this filth.
    • The land should be cleared up and restored as public parkland.
    • Who cares as long as it’s not in a park near me.

The people who do work on behalf of the council are the people the council contracts to do work for them. They do the work because the council pays them to do it.

You do ask simple questions don't you?

Thank you, so the work done in Graves park is done by the council and they use the parks department to do it, which as far as I know is run by the council. If the parks department do the work why can't they store their equipment there and keep it safe? If you have a hang up over the parks department doing the work why not offer to take on the contract and do the work?

Thank you, so the work done in Graves park is done by the council and they use the parks department to do it, which as far as I know is run by the council. If the parks department do the work why can't they store their equipment there and keep it safe? If you have a hang up over the parks department doing the work why not offer to take on the contract and do the work?

Are sacks of dog crap and old fridges picked up from outside the park part of the equipment the parks departmet need to maintain Graves Park?

coun dore and her cronies should clean it up,like then a pile of **** .

And Thank You for confirming that you have absolutely no idea of the subject that you appear to be trying to defend.

Lets start with the maintenance of Graves Park. The budget calls for 0.7 men to maintain the park and Chalky keeps most of his kit down by the Pavillion on Cobnar Road. Most of the rest arrives by road from working elsewhere.

The rubbish being dumped at Graves Park in the Nursery has absolutely nothing to do with the maintenance of the park. It is old fridges, dog muck, scrap and litter brought in from elsewhere. The vehicles in the nursery are mainly transit pickups which are not park vehicles, but are street vehicles used to transport this crap by road.

And Thank You for confirming that you have absolutely no idea of the subject that you appear to be trying to defend.

Lets start with the maintenance of Graves Park. The budget calls for 0.7 men to maintain the park and Chalky keeps most of his kit down by the Pavillion on Cobnar Road. Most of the rest arrives by road from working elsewhere.

The rubbish being dumped at Graves Park in the Nursery has absolutely nothing to do with the maintenance of the park. It is old fridges, dog muck, scrap and litter brought in from elsewhere. The vehicles in the nursery are mainly transit pickups which are not park vehicles, but are street vehicles used to transport this crap by road.

Thank you, I did ask you for this information yesterday when I said have I got my facts right, if you remember. I also confessed that I knew very little about your park, I live on the extreme north side of the city and Grave Park is almost in Derbyshire, I suspect it was once.

I took a look in "Sheffield The Growth of a City 1893-1926" by Keeble Hawson where it says, almost as an after thought in the section on Parks, "In October 1925 Councillor J. G. Graves purchased and presented to the City land at Norton containing 150 acres which was named Graves Park after the donor".

It seems that the land came with long strings attached tied with very tight knots which 89 years later the citizens of Sheffield have to try to untie.

In 1925 the Uk was in the middle of the "Great Depression" and I suspect that land was cheap then.

I can remember when parks were cherished parts of Sheffield with armies of gardeners growing pants in nurseries and planting them out in beds which changed with the seasons with the parks looked after by uniformed park keepers, sadly a sight of the past.

Do we still need parks? Yes we do, they have been called the "green lungs of the city"

Can we afford them, I suspect not at the moment but we need them.

Parks have changed and as one of the "old school" I say, not for the better, I have heard parks now described as "featureless green deserts" with nothing but grass because they are easily maintained with, as you say 0.7 men.

Will funding get any better? I suspect not but "your" park is no different than any of the others in Sheffield which need money.

Just because almost 90 years ago the then city council took on a commitment, which now appears to be a millstone around the neck of every council tax payer in Sheffield, do I think Graves Park deserves to be treated differently than any other Sheffield Park, no.

The thoughts that are mine.

Edited by Blackbeard

Thank you, I did ask you for this information yesterday when I said have I got my facts right, if you remember. I also confessed that I knew very little about your park, I live on the extreme north side of the city and Grave Park is almost in Derbyshire, I suspect it was once.

I took a look in "Sheffield The Growth of a City 1893-1926" by Keeble Hawson where it says, almost as an after thought in the section on Parks, "In October 1925 Councillor J. G. Graves purchased and presented to the City land at Norton containing 150 acres which was named Graves Park after the donor".

It seems that the land came with long strings attached tied with very tight knots which 89 years later the citizens of Sheffield have to try to untie.

In 1925 the Uk was in the middle of the "Great Depression" and I suspect that land was cheap then.

I can remember when parks were cherished parts of Sheffield with armies of gardeners growing pants in nurseries and planting them out in beds which changed with the seasons with the parks looked after by uniformed park keepers, sadly a sight of the past.

Do we still need parks? Yes we do, they have been called the "green lungs of the city"

Can we afford them, I suspect not at the moment but we need them.

Parks have changed and as one of the "old school" I say, not for the better, I have heard parks now described as "featureless green deserts" with nothing but grass because they are easily maintained with, as you say 0.7 men.

Will funding get any better? I suspect not but "your" park is no different than any of the others in Sheffield which need money.

Just because almost 90 years ago the then city council took on a commitment, which now appears to be a millstone around the neck of every council tax payer in Sheffield, do I think Graves Park deserves to be treated differently than any other Sheffield Park, no.

The thoughts that are mine.

Actually the land in question was gifted in 1936 when there wasn't a depression. Neither was there in 1925 if you check your facts. Neither is it my park. It belongs to all the people of Sheffield. It does not belong to the council.

All in all JG Graves donate around 1000 acres of leisure land to Sheffield including areas of Ecclesall Woods, Abbeydale Hamlet, and Blackamoor.

Graves Park is approximantely 250 acres. The land cost the people of Sheffield nothing. They get to use it free and it takes 0.7 men to maintain it. Revenue from car parking in the park is around £27,000 per year.

There are indeed very strict covenants. They were put there because Graves knew who he was trusting with his legacy. However the option exists for the council to hand back to Graves estate that 250 acres of parkland that they get rent free should they think that the millions of folk who use it are being short changed. I would imagine it would be a real vote winner..

Edited by barpen

Actually the land in question was gifted in 1936 when there wasn't a depression. Neither was there in 1925 if you check your facts. Neither is it my park. It belongs to all the people of Sheffield. It does not belong to the council.

All in all JG Graves donate around 1000 acres of leisure land to Sheffield including areas of Ecclesall Woods, Abbeydale Hamlet, and Blackamoor.

Graves Park is approximantely 250 acres. The land cost the people of Sheffield nothing. They get to use it free and it takes 0.7 men to maintain it. Revenue from car parking in the park is around £27,000 per year.

There are indeed very strict covenants. They were put there because Graves knew who he was trusting with his legacy. However the option exists for the council to hand back to Graves estate that 250 acres of parkland that they get rent free should they think that the millions of folk who use it are being short changed. I would imagine it would be a real vote winner..

I acknowledge that Graves was a excellent benefactor to the city of sheffield and I did get my dates about the depression wrong, I was half asleep in bed when I wrote it, but the date of the purchase of the land is given as 1925 in the Keeble Hawson book, I believe he was a noted solicitor in Sheffield and we all know you can trust them.

The rest of my comments I stick with.

I did a search on the forum to see what else you have posted about Graves Park and you do like to beat the "council" with a big stick, you seem to take ownership of the park with your comments.

Please do a search about my posts, if you like, and I try to slag off parties or organisations equally but some regularly open themselves up to comment.

I am on your side when it comes to parks but I want the money, effort and staff spread equally, sadly the funds are due to be cut even deeper.

I acknowledge that Graves was a excellent benefactor to the city of sheffield and I did get my dates about the depression wrong, I was half asleep in bed when I wrote it, but the date of the purchase of the land is given as 1925 in the Keeble Hawson book, I believe he was a noted solicitor in Sheffield and we all know you can trust them.

The rest of my comments I stick with.

I did a search on the forum to see what else you have posted about Graves Park and you do like to beat the "council" with a big stick, you seem to take ownership of the park with your comments.

Please do a search about my posts, if you like, and I try to slag off parties or organisations equally but some regularly open themselves up to comment.

I am on your side when it comes to parks but I want the money, effort and staff spread equally, sadly the funds are due to be cut even deeper.

That's the problem with using a 1925 book as your reference for everything. It misses important events ...like World War 2 for instance. Graves Park was 3 seperate gifts of land all wrapped up into one charity. The 1936 gift was 43 acres.

Yes we do beat the council with a big stick. It is a bit like World War 2. If folks keep trying to take your land you do something about it. The council repeatedly attempt to take chunks of Graves Park despite the covenants. We beat them with a big stick. They try again a few years later. If you want to spend your time looking through my back posts you might try the ones regarding St Lukes and Graves Park.

Regarding the money Friends of Graves Park have provided hundreds of thousands of pounds in funding for Graves Park. Funding that has been used to build a kids play ground at one side of the park and a conservation area at the other. They provided funding for many of the enclosures at the farm and are currently funding an arboretum. FOGP put a lot of time and money into Graves Park and are pretty good at fighting those who wish to abuse it.

That's the problem with using a 1925 book as your reference for everything. It misses important events ...like World War 2 for instance. Graves Park was 3 seperate gifts of land all wrapped up into one charity. The 1936 gift was 43 acres.

Yes we do beat the council with a big stick. It is a bit like World War 2. If folks keep trying to take your land you do something about it. The council repeatedly attempt to take chunks of Graves Park despite the covenants. We beat them with a big stick. They try again a few years later. If you want to spend your time looking through my back posts you might try the ones regarding St Lukes and Graves Park.

Regarding the money Friends of Graves Park have provided hundreds of thousands of pounds in funding for Graves Park. Funding that has been used to build a kids play ground at one side of the park and a conservation area at the other. They provided funding for many of the enclosures at the farm and are currently funding an arboretum. FOGP put a lot of time and money into Graves Park and are pretty good at fighting those who wish to abuse it.

Thanks, so it is all about "ownership" as I said before a bit like Spain and Gibraltar or the Arggies and the Falklands, you go running to the UN, the Press, Charity Commission or the forum when ever you think there has been a border incursion. The rest of us try to work with people and not fire rockets like Hamas, sorry but that's how I see it.

Seriously barpen, do you really think Blackbeards going to let himself be beaten in an argument ?

Seriously barpen, do you really think Blackbeards going to let himself be beaten in an argument ?

Sorry Dreb48, I don't want to win an argument I am just trying to be the voice of reason, this had become a very one sided attack on the council. This thread was started at 15:59 on the 10th and today is Sunday the 13th, a weekend, has anyone contacted the council or have they just gone out with all guns shooting?

Well Blackbeard you've certainly become defender of the council in this thread and it seems to be your reason for being here.

I think the people, like myself, who live in the area and frequent the park have a right to question what's happening. Seeing as you live, as you say, north of the city then I don't see why you're getting your knickers in a twist over this.