Once more Sheffield's Graves Park is used as a council tip.

Is it acceptable for the council to use parkland as a tipping ground.  

154 members have voted

1. 1. Is it acceptable for the council to use parkland as a tipping ground.

• Yes I have no problem with part of Graves Park being used as a tip
    • No. The land should not be used for this storing this filth.
    • The land should be cleared up and restored as public parkland.
    • Who cares as long as it’s not in a park near me.

The way that Veola/Sheffield Council make it difficult to go to the tip, particularly if you are a van owner then I am not surprised people dump rubbish all over Sheffield.

The way that Veola/Sheffield Council make it difficult to go to the tip, particularly if you are a van owner then I am not surprised people dump rubbish all over Sheffield.

The council don't make up the rules, it is the government that set the rules.

https://www.gov.uk/managing-your-waste-an-overview/overview

I have been to the tip today and not had any problems apart from the wait to get in, it was very busy.

Yes but it still comes as a surprise to find it is the council who are doing the dumping. Perhaps it was them that did the rest of the fly tipping.

It must be galling for the folk who got an on the stop fine for dropping a cigarette but.

Don't get me wrong I don't like to see stuff piled up like that so I have gone to the trouble of contacting a local councillor and asked them to look into it. I had two questions to ask basically the first being who decided that storing such rubbish in the open like that was a good idea and more importantly how long was it going to be there I suppose a further question could be where had the rubbish been collected from There does seem to be a few people who seem to be saying this is a shocking sight as it soils the entire park although it's not visible from what I would call the park proper, the criket pitch, the football fields, the rose garden, the childrens playgrounds and not even from the rare breeds centre and fields or the meadow which is as close as you can get park wise. I've just had a thought could this be stuff dragged out of the river and collected on the route of that bike race that took place a few days ago

Are the council adhering to Waste Transfer Licence rules would be the question.

Are the council adhering to Waste Transfer Licence rules would be the question.

I doubt it. But we will soon find out. I informed the Environment Agency and they are sending a guy round to look. Hopefully he will turn up at the same time as Look North.

I doubt it. But we will soon find out. I informed the Environment Agency and they are sending a guy round to look. Hopefully he will turn up at the same time as Look North.

I love it, it has now turned into a border dispute reminiscent of the Argies claiming the Falklands, we will see the UN involved next.

Have I got the facts right?

The council have a depot in the park and you are claiming that they have no right to be there?

The depot is used by the parks department to store their equipment and "other things"?

The depot is not normally used by members of the public and is behind gates?

The parks department are not responsible for the maintenance of the park because it is done by the Graves Park Trust or Friends of the Park?

Can you tell me if I am right with my assumptions?

I love it, it has now turned into a border dispute reminiscent of the Argies claiming the Falklands, we will see the UN involved next.

Have I got the facts right?

The council have a depot in the park and you are claiming that they have no right to be there?

The depot is used by the parks department to store their equipment and "other things"?

The depot is not normally used by members of the public and is behind gates?

The parks department are not responsible for the maintenance of the park because it is done by the Graves Park Trust or Friends of the Park?

Can you tell me if I am right with my assumptions?

You are correct in your assumption that you are wrong. But let's not worry about that. The Charity Commission and the Enviroment agency have been made aware of the facts. They are the folk who will be asking the questions of the council next week.

This is about opperating an illegal tip on charitable status parkland. You can make light of that as much as you like. The Charity Commision aren't as easily fooled.

You are correct in your assumption that you are wrong. But let's not worry about that. The Charity Commission and the Enviroment agency have been made aware of the facts. They are the folk who will be asking the questions of the council next week.

This is about opperating an illegal tip on charitable status parkland. You can make light of that as much as you like. The Charity Commision aren't as easily fooled.

Thank you you have confirmed the parks department are not responsible for the up keep of the park, that's all I wanted to know.

Edited by Blackbeard

Thank you you have conformed the parks department are not responsible for the up keep of the park, that's all I wanted to know.

That is right. The council are.

That is right. The council are.

Who does the work on behalf of the council and why?

Who does the work on behalf of the council and why?

The people who do work on behalf of the council are the people the council contracts to do work for them. They do the work because the council pays them to do it.

You do ask simple questions don't you?