Once more Sheffield's Graves Park is used as a council tip.

Is it acceptable for the council to use parkland as a tipping ground.  

154 members have voted

1. 1. Is it acceptable for the council to use parkland as a tipping ground.

• Yes I have no problem with part of Graves Park being used as a tip
    • No. The land should not be used for this storing this filth.
    • The land should be cleared up and restored as public parkland.
    • Who cares as long as it’s not in a park near me.

I don't think we have to catch them doing anything. The Friends of Graves Park have told me the Council have admitted doing it and think it's OK. So that's alright then!

I called by out of curiosity to take a look. It's worse than I imagined. The place stinks to high heaven and was awash with flies. There is rubbish blowing about all over.

More worrying they seem to be installing a big row of shipping containers. It looks to me that someone is attemption to turn the place into an unlicensed tip, and all on land gifted to the people as parkland.

It is a total disgrace.

I called by out of curiosity to take a look. It's worse than I imagined. The place stinks to high heaven and was awash with flies. There is rubbish blowing about all over.

More worrying they seem to be installing a big row of shipping containers. It looks to me that someone is attemption to turn the place into an unlicensed tip, and all on land gifted to the people as parkland.

It is a total disgrace.

I'll second that.

I was in Graves Park this morning and was disgusted by what I saw and what I could smell.

Sheffield Council - hang your head in shame !:rant:

---------- Post added 11-07-2014 at 16:59 ----------

That might be overstating it a bit as they've made about 4 posts on that page in the last four years - do they even look at it any more?

http://www.gravespark.org/

This is more useful.

---------- Post added 11-07-2014 at 17:03 ----------

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1324020

Oh the irony !

Maybe if any of the city councillors read the forum they would like to leave a comment?

Maybe if any of the city councillors read the forum they would like to leave a comment?

Yes - come on Sheffield Councillors - tell us what you know !

I think my biggest concern would be the water courses up there. There is a stream that runs from up there alongside the cricket pitch. It then runs through Lowedges and into the River Drone. Another comes out into the stream that runs down to Woodseats.

The problem with the one alongside the cricket pitch is it overflows whenever it rains and runs out of the park entrance onto the road outside. I've seen kids playing in it.

If there are open bags of dog excrement a rain storm will put unknown contamination into the water table.

Didn't Sheffield have one or two cholera epidemics. I believe dying in one's teens was a popular Sheffield Passtime not much more than a century back.

I was surprised to learn from Sheffield Archives that there were three epidemics in 1832, 1849 and 1866. The last indigenous case of cholera in the UK was in 1893.

Toxicariasis is a rare complication of an infection caused by contact with dog faeces.

Yes - come on Sheffield Councillors - tell us what you know !

What can you expect from a "ruling group" of time-serving lick-spittles who think they are safe and just wanna hang on to their expenses?

Quite sure some of the Green councillors use the Forum, they have been rather quiet.

I called in today with a reporter. They've even dumped one of the yellow Tour de France Bikes in there now.

I live fairly close so will have a wander up tomorrow to have a look. If it's as bad as people are saying (no reason to doubt anyone) then I shall be writing to my local councillors (Graves Park Ward) asking for an explanation.

The councillors hold a surgery in Woodseats library the third Wednesday in the month (so next Wednesday is the next one) between 5.30pm and 6.30pm if anyone wishes to ask in person.

Graves Park Ward councillors:

Ian Auckland - [email protected]

Denise Reaney - [email protected]

Steve Ayris - [email protected]

Could not a few people film the council dumping up there, post it on youtube and put the links here? I would imagine such videos could easily go viral, which would probably lead to an end to the dumping and, hopefully, legal action against those responsible.

Could not a few people film the council dumping up there, post it on youtube and put the links here? I would imagine such videos could easily go viral, which would probably lead to an end to the dumping and, hopefully, legal action against those responsible.

Well it has certainly been done before.

I can't believe that such a beautiful park as Graves is being desecrated by the very people who should be protecting it for the use of Sheffield folk who it was gifted to.

Sheffield Council - you should be ashamed !:rant: