Once more Sheffield's Graves Park is used as a council tip.

Is it acceptable for the council to use parkland as a tipping ground.  

154 members have voted

1. 1. Is it acceptable for the council to use parkland as a tipping ground.

• Yes I have no problem with part of Graves Park being used as a tip
    • No. The land should not be used for this storing this filth.
    • The land should be cleared up and restored as public parkland.
    • Who cares as long as it’s not in a park near me.

I store my rubbish bin for 2 weeks until the council comes to collect it, what about yours?

---------- Post added 23-07-2014 at 14:42 ----------

Interestingly I was in Finland last week and visited a “World Heritage Park” not just a charity gifted park. I have visited parks all over the world but never thought about the management of parks in other country’s until this thread started. What a difference in culture towards parks, litter and the environment there is over there.

I was given a guided tour by an excellent and also knowledgeable English speaking guide and of cause the subject of litter and dog poo came up in my questions. My questions were listened to with some amusement and she at first did not understand why I was being so naïve in asking such strange questions.

“Dog poo, we don’t have any problems because the owners of the dogs take responsibility of the poo and clear up after their dog and they take it home with them, don’t they do that where you come from? It can be a big problem though in the spring, when the snow melts because that’s when you see the poo that the snow has covered up.”

“Litter, we do have problems with that but mostly from the tourists, the Fins clean up after themselves and if they don’t take their rubbish home they use the litter bins.”

Bottles and cans? “In Finland there is a deposit on bottles and cans, we top the list as one of the best recyclers”

What do you do with the contents of the litter bins? Again a look of incredibility at this strange foreigner.

“We empty them of cause and when we have a full load put it on the ferry to be disposed of.”

How many people do you employ do you have to look after the park?

“Not that many, we have an open prison in the park, don’t worry they are not the dangerous ones, just the people who have been caught speeding or tax offenders, they do a lot of the work.”

This was a World Heritage Park.

They didn't mention that they pile up all the rubbish from the surrounding area in one corner of their park?

Just wondering how this is relevant?

They didn't mention that they pile up all the rubbish from the surrounding area in one corner of their park?

Just wondering how this is relevant?

Or do they pile bin liners full of dog muck and rubbish in their parks 30 metres from local housing and allow wild animals to open the bags and redistribute the contents around the area. I think not. Only in Sheffield.

So mad you had to post it twice.

My apologies.

No I wasn't so angry I posted it twice.

Having some issues with my computer I thought.. turns out its the modem thats at fault.

I have edited my post and removed the repeated bit.

How many people do you employ do you have to look after the park?

“Not that many, we have an open prison in the park, don’t worry they are not the dangerous ones, just the people who have been caught speeding or tax offenders, they do a lot of the work.”

This was a World Heritage Park.

Please don't give the council more ideas...

They store it in the park until the containers are full and then dispose of it, it saves on fuel and transport costs that way.

The transport lorries full of it, past the incinerator, to store it where they shouldn't, to then load it onto lorries to take back to the incinerator.

Yes, I see the logic now. :confused:

They store it in the park until the containers are full and then dispose of it, it saves on fuel and transport costs that way.

van or lorry are full of waste . shall we take it straightaway to the disposal area or should we save it and store it to be disposed of at a later date ? seems like common sense to me

There is no substance to this other than rumours.

The people of Sheffield must remember that everything within the boundaries of Sheffield exists only because the council allows it do so. Wherever possible all things that are allowed to be there are there to either raise revenue for the council, or to be used or misused as the council thinks it will best serve them. If they think they will make gains from selling off public amenities, whether they own them or not they may attempt to do so.

Sheffield is twinned with other 6 other foreign towns, or cities, to provide the need for reciprocal visits by our councillors, and of course to provide lavish entertainment which our councillors have to attend when we are host to visitors from our ‘twins’.

Fact finding tours either by, or hosted by, our council are used to much the same advantage.

The people of Sheffield are a necessary inconvenience to the council as it is through taxes on homes and businesses that they raise a substantial percentage of their revenue. The businesses need customers so they can expand and pay even more business rates, which is why the council is always quick to offer to provide accommodation for refugees and immigrants.

More people more revenue the more disposable income the council has; which enables them to provide more jobs for friends and relatives of councillors and of course more perks for councillors and to satisfy other whims of councillors.

Some of said revenue is used on projects that will placate the general populace or cause minor inconveniences or annoyances to them that will distract them from some of the council’s other activities.

Tenders presented by persons wishing to provide services are only accepted from people with business or family affiliations with members of the council or their close relatives.

The council has a number of ‘make work’ projects on the go at any one time.

A fictional example. ‘Someone’ is paid to provide the service of collecting dog crap or fridges and dumping them in a particular place. That someone is paid again at a later date to remove all this stuff from said place and take it somewhere else. This may, or may not, happen a number of times until it is taken to its final destination. By which time a new source of rubbish will have been identified and either a previously used dump site or newly created one is utilised. Choice of dump sites are of course be determined by the process of deciding which will best serve the council’s plans and ambitions, or of course generate most income.

Of course, neither the council nor any of its members or employees or relatives of thereof will receive any gain either in cash or perks for hiring the ‘someone’.

Of course this must be wrong none of it could possibly be true …..could it?

The transport lorries full of it, past the incinerator, to store it where they shouldn't, to then load it onto lorries to take back to the incinerator.

Yes, I see the logic now. :confused:

The longer the stuff is hanging around the more disease it builds up.

The more times that it is loaded and unloaded the higher the chance of passing on disease to those handling it.

They are still tipping up there. They now have a couple of massive skips. The smell is worse than ever. How do you describe the smell of month old dog **** that has been kept moist in a plastic bag, slowly fermented for a few weeks in full sun before being released to the world by the crows?

How do you describe the smell of month old dog **** that has been kept moist in a plastic bag, slowly fermented for a few weeks in full sun before being released to the world by the crows?

I thought you described it rather well.

Not changing the subject or the detracting from the councils irresposibility.

This particular problem would not exist if we had responsible dog owners that cared enough about the image of dogs and their own environment to not allow their animals to defacate anywhere else but their own garden. Then they could collect it themselves and flush it.

Unfortunately it seems we have too many people owning dogs that have no sense of social responsibility.

This particular problem would not exist if we had responsible dog owners that cared enough about the image of dogs and their own environment to not allow their animals to defacate anywhere else but their own garden. Then they could collect it themselves and flush it.

Unfortunately it seems we have too many people owning dogs that have no sense of social responsibility.

I would agree with you up to a point, but the dog owners in question have taken the trouble to clean up after their dog and pop the bag in the purpose built bin in the park. It is what happens to it after that that causes concern. Why woukl anyone emptying these bins in Concorde Park think it is a good idea to cart the muck over to Graves Park to stew.

But there is clearly more to it than just dog muck. It would be one hell of a dog that wanders round our parks crapping out fridges. Just what do the owners feed them on?

Edited by Speckled Hen

I can only guess that you've never owned or walked a dog.

It's not irresponsible in anyway to clear up after your dog and put it in the council provided bins that exist specifically for dog waste. In fact, it's probably safer than putting it in your domestic waste bin as in theory the waste can be managed appropriately, instead of being a surprise for some poor binman.