Once more Sheffield's Graves Park is used as a council tip.

Is it acceptable for the council to use parkland as a tipping ground.  

154 members have voted

1. 1. Is it acceptable for the council to use parkland as a tipping ground.

• Yes I have no problem with part of Graves Park being used as a tip
    • No. The land should not be used for this storing this filth.
    • The land should be cleared up and restored as public parkland.
    • Who cares as long as it’s not in a park near me.

I suppose everyone else who disapproves of what the council is doing is a NIMBY as well? Even when it's not their backyard?

As for who should pay, well ultimately, that's us, out of our tax. But someone else should also pay, and that's the person that authorised it, with their job.

Agree fully :thumbsup:

You see, Cyclone, there is one thing that has hampered this discussion throughout - Exaggeration.

The "mountains of poo" are simply a few bags, probably less than could be collected from the park on any given day. The "foul stench" simply doesn't exist. Now you want someone to lose their job because of this storm in a teacup. I hope you have simply been blinded by the lies and exaggeration, but I suspect that you may just be posting to get a reaction. If so, please don't.

This whole thing actually is happening "in my back yard". I live on the edge of the park and paid a couple of hundred thousand for the privilege. If I can put up with this "outrage", I'm sure everyone else can.

Time to move on. End of chat.

But someone else should also pay, and that's the person that authorised it, with their job.

Nailed in one.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

You see, Cyclone, there is one thing that has hampered this discussion throughout - Exaggeration.

The "mountains of poo" are simply a few bags, probably less than could be collected from the park on any given day. The "foul stench" simply doesn't exist. Now you want someone to lose their job because of this storm in a teacup. I hope you have simply been blinded by the lies and exaggeration, but I suspect that you may just be posting to get a reaction. If so, please don't.

This whole thing actually is happening "in my back yard". I live on the edge of the park and paid a couple of hundred thousand for the privilege. If I can put up with this "outrage", I'm sure everyone else can.

So the photographic evidence of misuse & dereliction is a mirage???:loopy:

So the photographic evidence of misuse & dereliction is a mirage???:loopy:

If that's one days worth of dog poo they must have held Crufts there.

I suppose everyone else who disapproves of what the council is doing is a NIMBY as well? Even when it's not their backyard?

As for who should pay, well ultimately, that's us, out of our tax. But someone else should also pay, and that's the person that authorised it, with their job.

Well done Cyclone and I thought I was trying to be the voice of reason.

Can I suggest that once the miscreant has been found and the Friends of Graves Park have found them guilty there should be a public humiliation in the park.

The guilty party, he or she, should be formally cashiered, they, their partner and children smeared with freshly gathered dog poo and whipped out of the city to permanent exile over the border in nearby Derbyshire. Any pension entitlement should be forfeited and used to help to pay to remove the unsightly over 50 year old council depot in the park therefore improving the lives of the residents of Norton Park View.

Chat ends when people stop chatting dude- not when you decree it :)

Even if it was only a few bags (sounds like it was way more), fact remains it's illegal fly tipping by the council. The same council that relentlessly prosecutes any citizen for so minor a transgression as dropping a cigarette butt on the ground.

We've all seen the photos.

Exaggeration or not, the council is misusing land it has no right to.

Why would I be posting to get a reaction, the vast majority of posters to this thread already agree, the only reaction I'm likely to get is from you and Blackbeard who appear to be apologists for the council.

You're welcome to move on of course, of you go.

---------- Post added 23-07-2014 at 10:57 ----------

Well done Cyclone and I thought I was trying to be the voice of reason.

Can I suggest that once the miscreant has been found and the Friends of Graves Park have found them guilty there should be a public humiliation in the park.

The guilty party, he or she, should be formally cashiered, they, their partner and children smeared with freshly gathered dog poo and whipped out of the city to permanent exile over the border in nearby Derbyshire. Any pension entitlement should be forfeited and used to help to pay to remove the unsightly over 50 year old council depot in the park therefore improving the lives of the residents of Norton Park View.

No, I think sacking them is probably sufficient.

---------- Post added 23-07-2014 at 10:58 ----------

A polite, concise, informative post - a refreshing change to the rude tripe I have witnessed being flung in your direction, Blackbeard.

You never did detail what "rude tripe" had been "flung" at Blackbeard.

If that's one days worth of dog poo they must have held Crufts there.

As much as I want to side against the council, that photo doesn't look like just dog waste.

As much as I want to side against the council, that photo doesn't look like just dog waste.

I don't think anyone ever claimed it was "just" dog waste did they? It's definitely waste and it's definitely been tipped where it shouldn't be.

I don't think anyone ever claimed it was "just" dog waste did they? It's definitely waste and it's definitely been tipped where it shouldn't be.

We are told that Grave Park is 87 hectares, it is the city's largest public park, that's about 215 acres. The park can be very busy especially now that summer is here and the schools are out, imagine how much rubbish is created by the visitors, just look at he streets of Sheffield. If the bins are emptied or the litter picked up there is a need to have a holding place, just like your dust bin at home. At home you don't get your dustbin emptied every day and I suspect that Graves Parks does not either. The service area in the park, which we are told has been there for over 50 years, is an ideal area to store the rubbish, it is also away from the general public area.

Sadly sadly some of the residents of Sheffield never think to take their rubbish home with them, a common response when challenged is "I pay my rates for the council to sort the rubbish out"

You are correct that the bags were not 100% dog muck, although it is true to say that some of the bags are probably 100% filled with little bags of dog muck.

The heap of black bin liners is waste from the red dug muck bins in the parks and woods, and the contents of litter bins much of which is discarded food, food wrappers and drinks bottles. I'm not about to wade into the middle of the heap but there is a high percentage of excrement in amongst the bags many of which have been split open by foxes and crows.

Neither is that particular heap the extent of the tipping. On occassions that heap was so large it had extended onto the roof of the building behind. Indeed the photo shows bags that remained there following a disposal of this filth to another place.

As far as I am concerned the acceptable level of such waste tipped in a public park other than in the red bins is zero.

---------- Post added 23-07-2014 at 12:08 ----------

We are told that Grave Park is 87 hectares, it is the city's largest public park, that's about 215 acres. The park can be very busy especially now that summer is here and the schools are out, imagine how much rubbish is created by the visitors, just look at he streets of Sheffield. If the bins are emptied or the litter picked up there is a need to have a holding place, just like your dust bin at home. At home you don't get your dustbin emptied every day and I suspect that Graves Parks does not either. The service area in the park, which we are told has been there for over 50 years, is an ideal area to store the rubbish, it is also away from the general public area.

Sadly sadly some of the residents of Sheffield never think to take their rubbish home with them, a common response when challenged is "I pay my rates for the council to sort the rubbish out"

So why are they bringing rubbish in from other parks and tipping it in Graves Park?

The service area in Graves Park has not been there for 50 years. The site was used to grow plants for Sheffield parks. It is only recently that the plant growing stopped and the tipping started.

Edited by barpen