Once more Sheffield's Graves Park is used as a council tip.

Is it acceptable for the council to use parkland as a tipping ground.  

154 members have voted

1. 1. Is it acceptable for the council to use parkland as a tipping ground.

• Yes I have no problem with part of Graves Park being used as a tip
    • No. The land should not be used for this storing this filth.
    • The land should be cleared up and restored as public parkland.
    • Who cares as long as it’s not in a park near me.

I wondered how long it would take for some-one to accuse me of being a council employee, sorry to disappoint people but I'm not. I do however live in the area and so was rather puzzled by the initial description of the horrendous smell, the rats running around and how it was a very noticeable blot on the landscape especially as it was in a public park that I often walk through and around. I therefore went out and investigated things for myself both by asking for info from councillors and also walking to the bounddary fences between the park proper and the nursery site to have a look. I then went in to the nursery site to get an even closer look. I then waited for the response to my queries which I have mentioned on this thread and have no reason to start calling the council liars or start saying they are flytipping as it's clear from what they've told me that stuff has been stored temporarily on the site for some time and if it hadn't been for the breakdown of some equipment the amount of rubbish wouldn't of accumulated.

Dumping in a public park is not acceptable. I'm not interested in tales about cost effective storage or equipment brakedown. It shouldn't be there in the first place. If they stop doing it and shift what is there and then clean up the area folk will stop complaining about it.

This is it in a nutshell. I don't give a stuff about "breakdowns" or other such excuses, there were plenty of working vans to dump it there in the first place.

The council has ZERO defence to their fly tipping and defacement of a public park and anyone coming to their defence should feel ashamed that they have been taken in by their lies and less-than-half truths in this matter.

I wondered how long it would take for some-one to accuse me of being a council employee, sorry to disappoint people but I'm not. I do however live in the area and so was rather puzzled by the initial description of the horrendous smell, the rats running around and how it was a very noticeable blot on the landscape especially as it was in a public park that I often walk through and around. I therefore went out and investigated things for myself both by asking for info from councillors and also walking to the bounddary fences between the park proper and the nursery site to have a look. I then went in to the nursery site to get an even closer look. I then waited for the response to my queries which I have mentioned on this thread and have no reason to start calling the council liars or start saying they are flytipping as it's clear from what they've told me that stuff has been stored temporarily on the site for some time and if it hadn't been for the breakdown of some equipment the amount of rubbish wouldn't of accumulated.

This is a rather naive assumption.

I have had dealings with the Council before and you really shouldn't believe the platitudes they churn out.

as it's clear from what they've told me that stuff has been stored temporarily on the site for some time and if it hadn't been for the breakdown of some equipment the amount of rubbish wouldn't of accumulated.

I don't think you are grasping this properly. It should not have been there in the first place.

This is not a council tip, they have no refuse licence to dump waste on here even on a "temporary" basis.

This is land donated to the people of Sheffield, for the use of the people of Sheffield and maintained in trust. As has been explained many times, the Charities Commission confirmed this is charitable land and should be used as parkland, it is NOT a dump.

Whoever named you as a council mothpiece nailed it in one. Either that or you fell off the Christmas tree this morning.

Have I got this right?. The council is illegally tipping dog muck in Graves Park. The excuse for the amount of dog muck around is that one of the trucks taking the dog muck away has broken down but the ones still bringing the dog muck into the illegal tip haven't.

Perhaps if they weren't tipping illegally in the first place this would be no problemo.

I find it interesting that some people have looked at the pictures and then come out with comments like it's shocking, it's disgraceful it's toxic, it must stink, etc etc etc but don't seem to be bothered enough to go to the council and ask them what is going on. Maybe if a few more people actually did start asking questions as I have then there could be a change in what is after all a long standing way of doing things. People claiming it is illegal as well where are they getting the information from and again are they actually doing anything other than sitting at their keyboard and muttering. I have asked questions and recieved some answers but I wont just sit back I will in a dday or so pop up to the site and take another look, if the promised works haven't been carried out I then have a name and contact who I can go back to. I assume there is probably a councillor who deals with environmental issues or oversee's the parks department so I may go down that route as well, so please a little less name calling or belittling and maybe a little more get off your bottoms and attempt to do something slightly more constructive.

I asked again on Twitter, still got no response to my last tweet, but Jack Scott is following me there now... https://twitter.com/John_Kenney/status/489261443620306944

The Environment Agency seem interested anyway...

I'll go up to Graves Park later, see if the dump is still there & report it. Edited by anywebsite

Utter lies in that article, why if a vehicle "broke down" has another vehicle been bringing MORE stuff to the site?

I find it interesting that some people have looked at the pictures and then come out with comments like it's shocking, it's disgraceful it's toxic, it must stink, etc etc etc but don't seem to be bothered enough to go to the council and ask them what is going on. Maybe if a few more people actually did start asking questions as I have then there could be a change in what is after all a long standing way of doing things. People claiming it is illegal as well where are they getting the information from and again are they actually doing anything other than sitting at their keyboard and muttering. I have asked questions and recieved some answers but I wont just sit back I will in a dday or so pop up to the site and take another look, if the promised works haven't been carried out I then have a name and contact who I can go back to. I assume there is probably a councillor who deals with environmental issues or oversee's the parks department so I may go down that route as well, so please a little less name calling or belittling and maybe a little more get off your bottoms and attempt to do something slightly more constructive.

How do you know that others aren't doing something about it ?

Not everyone has the need to announce their actions on SF :roll: