Once more Sheffield's Graves Park is used as a council tip.

Is it acceptable for the council to use parkland as a tipping ground.  

154 members have voted

1. 1. Is it acceptable for the council to use parkland as a tipping ground.

• Yes I have no problem with part of Graves Park being used as a tip
    • No. The land should not be used for this storing this filth.
    • The land should be cleared up and restored as public parkland.
    • Who cares as long as it’s not in a park near me.

Actually when you ring the council you just get fobbed off with a we are in charge and will do what we want in the park. So perhaps folk got fed up of asking the council and then resorted to the forum, TV companies and newspapers. Have you asked anyone if the asked the council or did you just assume that they didn't?

Try reading the thread from the start.

I did. You don't seem to have much of a life outside of making excuses on this thread for inexcusable council behaviour. But you are doing a great job of alerting folk to every lame excuse in the book for a council tipping dangerous waste in a public park. For that you should be congratulated.

Actually when you ring the council you just get fobbed off with a we are in charge and will do what we want in the park. So perhaps folk got fed up of asking the council and then resorted to the forum, TV companies and newspapers. Have you asked anyone if the asked the council or did you just assume that they didn't?

i assume you have the name of the person who actually told you this or are you just making it up ( i suspect the latter)

The thread quite clearly mentions that several people have contacted councillors in order to ask about the situation...

i assume you have the name of the person who actually told you this or are you just making it up ( i suspect the latter)

Indeed I have. Both seemed to think it perfectly acceptable to tip dog waste in Graves Park and even went on the radio and to Sheffield Newspapers and told them the same.

The thread quite clearly mentions that several people have contacted councillors in order to ask about the situation...

Councillors or council officials? Councillors do not have much control over the every day running of departments, that's why they employ people to run departments.

I have read EVERY part of this thread, right from the beginning, it even jolted me into signing up on here.

In my honest opinion, the only poster that has made any kind of sense, consistently - is Blackbeard.

I have found some of the attacks against him to be truly appalling.

I have read EVERY part of this thread, right from the beginning, it even jolted me into signing up on here.

In my honest opinion, the only poster that has made any kind of sense, consistently - is Blackbeard.

Welcome to sheffield forum where reasoned arguments are dismissed by people with axes to grind (council, police, first, stagecoach etc etc)

You signed up again under a different name just to post that?

As I understand it, while the council workers might be doing the work, the councillors are actually the trustees of the Graves Park charity, so they are directly responsible for looking after the land.

Also, wasn't there an agreement to turn the Nurseries site back to parkland about 15 years ago? Isn't the wildlife area phase one of this? And isn't the woodland area, still fenced off but nearly ready to be opened to the public, phase 2? So the land the council are currently using as a collection for rubbish is the third and final phase.

So when the Friends of Graves Park want to start phase 3, where are the council going to dump all this rubbish?

Why can't they just take it straight to a tip? Or is it because they are charged for this, per lorryload?

I don't think anyone holds the council workers responsible, as they are just doing as they are told, however, the environment agency website says if your employer orders you to dump rubbish, you are still personably liable if you do it illegally. There's another thread about this if you look it up - scary stuff.

As I understand it, while the council workers might be doing the work, the councillors are actually the trustees of the Graves Park charity, so they are directly responsible for looking after the land.

Also, wasn't there an agreement to turn the Nurseries site back to parkland about 15 years ago? Isn't the wildlife area phase one of this? And isn't the woodland area, still fenced off but nearly ready to be opened to the public, phase 2? So the land the council are currently using as a collection for rubbish is the third and final phase.

So when the Friends of Graves Park want to start phase 3, where are the council going to dump all this rubbish?

Why can't they just take it straight to a tip? Or is it because they are charged for this, per lorryload?

I don't think anyone holds the council workers responsible, as they are just doing as they are told, however, the environment agency website says if your employer orders you to dump rubbish, you are still personably liable if you do it illegally. There's another thread about this if you look it up - scary stuff.

That is interesting as there has clearly been a mass panic since the Environment Agency dropped by. It seems the current question is what do the council actually use the land for? It seems there is 3.5 acres of Graves Park fenced off and used as nothing more than a tipping ground for council waste and council junk.

Just look at the place. It isn't in use. It is charitable status parkland that is fenced off for no reason than to use 5% of it as a tipping ground for knackered tractors and derelict portacabins.

Just flick through those photographs and tell me if this is a legitimate use for land that someone gave to the people of Sheffield to be used as public parkland.

Edited by pandorra

That is interesting as there has clearly been a mass panic since the Environment Agency dropped by. It seems the current question is what do the council actually use the land for? It seems there is 3.5 acres of Graves Park fenced off and used as nothing more than a tipping ground for council waste and council junk.

Just look at the place. It isn't in use. It is charitable status parkland that is fenced off for no reason than to use 5% of it as a tipping ground for knackered tractors and derelict portacabins.

Just flick through those photographs and tell me if this is a legitimate use for land that someone gave to the people of Sheffield to be used as public parkland.

The council shouldn't be using it for anything other than for the benefit of Graves Park charity. How does the charity benefit from being used as a tip for the waste from other council land?

The sooner the land is restored to parkland the better.