Once more Sheffield's Graves Park is used as a council tip.

Is it acceptable for the council to use parkland as a tipping ground.  

154 members have voted

1. 1. Is it acceptable for the council to use parkland as a tipping ground.

• Yes I have no problem with part of Graves Park being used as a tip
    • No. The land should not be used for this storing this filth.
    • The land should be cleared up and restored as public parkland.
    • Who cares as long as it’s not in a park near me.

I've just heard some rather sad news, I haven't see it posted anywhere else on the site. Wallbuilder who was contributing to this thread has died suddenly at home. We shall probably never now know what other results might have been from his investigations into this matter.

I didn't know him personally but he seems to have been a well known and well liked person in his local community. RIP Wallbuilder.

Here you go Nat. :(

Thanks, mate. I obviously didn't look in the right place.

Other posters on this thread won't be expecting him to answer any points of order now I've posted this on here, I guess.

It seems that tipping trash in parks around Sheffield isn't unique to Graves Park.

Perhaps folk should take a good look around their own area to see what abuse is going on.

I thought that photo looked like stored shredded wood chippings which i and many others use a general general mulch around roses fruit bushes etc. Would hardly call that trash.

The only general waste I can see is what looks like a empty drink bottle.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

Edited by bazjea

I thought that photo looked like stored shredded wood chippings which i and many others use a general general mulch around roses fruit bushes etc. Would hardly call that trash.

There are 2 photos. A before and after. You have to click the NEXT tab.

The after shot will be the one with the roll of carpet and the old mattress.

Yes, but then click 'next'.

Yes, but then click 'next'.

Ok I missed that.

There are 2 photos. A before and after. You have to click the NEXT tab.

The after shot will be the one with the roll of carpet and the old mattress.

Sadly there are people in this world who fly tip, should it be policy to leave the rubbish where it is tipped or moved to a collection point?

As for the chipped wood.

"5.6.5 Waste materials

We are reducing the amount of Green waste within the park. Shrub pruning’s are chipped on site to reduce transport cost and in the situation were we are unable to achieve this Green waste is recycled off site at Concord Park (half a mile travelling distance from Firth Park). We have set up a green waste composting facility were material is chipped and composted with the waste stored in compost bays. The composted material is then used as mulch or soil improver in Parks in the North of the City. This process reduces the need to transport material across the city and reduce waste going to landfill."

taken from

Firth Heritage Park Sheffield

Green Flag Management Plan 2008 – 2013

I don't know if this is relevant but could quite well be the answer.

I think that you may have missed the point.

The photo of the bay full of chippings is to illustrate what the bay should be used for.

The photo of the bay empty of chippings, and now being used for general waste, is to illustrate the current abuse of the facility.

I think that you may have missed the point.

The photo of the bay full of chippings is to illustrate what the bay should be used for.

The photo of the bay empty of chippings, and now being used for general waste, is to illustrate the current abuse of the facility.

Where do you recommend the fly tipping and litter should be stored before removal, just left where it was found?

Where do you recommend the fly tipping and litter should be stored before removal, just left where it was found?

A council tip seems like a good idea. Is that a bit radical? You are aware that much of the rubbish tipped in Graves Park is old fridges, carpet, and dog muck that wasn't ever in Graves Park before the council tipped it there?

Edited by Anna Glypta

Sadly there are people in this world who fly tip, should it be policy to leave the rubbish where it is tipped or moved to a collection point?

As for the chipped wood.

"5.6.5 Waste materials

We are reducing the amount of Green waste within the park. Shrub pruning’s are chipped on site to reduce transport cost and in the situation were we are unable to achieve this Green waste is recycled off site at Concord Park (half a mile travelling distance from Firth Park). We have set up a green waste composting facility were material is chipped and composted with the waste stored in compost bays. The composted material is then used as mulch or soil improver in Parks in the North of the City. This process reduces the need to transport material across the city and reduce waste going to landfill."

taken from

Firth Heritage Park Sheffield

Green Flag Management Plan 2008 – 2013

Quite right, The Botanic Gardens has been storing green waste (weeds and prunings) in this manner for some years after I suggested it to help keep it contained and rot down better. Wood chip is stored in a separate bay and used as mulch.

The second photo is an abuse of what should be a facility to make us a greener city, reducing the need to buy in mulch and compost in such great quantities and Co2 emissions.