Once more Sheffield's Graves Park is used as a council tip.

Is it acceptable for the council to use parkland as a tipping ground.  

154 members have voted

1. 1. Is it acceptable for the council to use parkland as a tipping ground.

• Yes I have no problem with part of Graves Park being used as a tip
    • No. The land should not be used for this storing this filth.
    • The land should be cleared up and restored as public parkland.
    • Who cares as long as it’s not in a park near me.

Have heard the Environment Agency are going to check out the site. Is that why the Council are trying to clear up the mess?

Have heard the Environment Agency are going to check out the site. Is that why the Council are trying to clear up the mess?

A guy at the site told me that there was no truck breakdown. He said the men were loading bags of ***** with the grab when some bags split and showered them. They refused to handle the stuff afterwards and someone informed the agency.

This really sounds disgusting. Are we sure the Council doesn't need a licence to store this kind of waste on Norton Nurseries?

Why do Sheffield councillors allow council employees to tarnish the image of Sheffield in this way?

It is good to see heavy rain. It will wash away much of the dog muck contamination from the areas in the park where the council dumped it.

I suppose the question now entering my mind is "WHERE IS IT BEING WASHED AWAY TO?"

Why do Sheffield councillors allow council employees to tarnish the image of Sheffield in this way?

Allow? Allow! You would not by any chance trying to transfer responsability are you. Surely you mean contract, instruct, order, require, or perhaps even command.

Allow does not even enter into the arrangement.

Have you ever made a stand against an employer who has the weight of legal advisors on their payroll. There has to be a very good chance of success which means an issue of immediate serious breach of the law, such as an health and safety or equal opportunities issue.

The personnel given the job of dealing with this filth have my sympathy and I for one think there is no need for a bin to be provided for dog excrement, this is a disgusting practice that should be stopped. People should deal with the products of their own pets themselves. The personnel employed to clear the excrement can be better used in other ways, for instance in enforcing the fouling laws we already have in this country. Dog wardens should be employed to ensure that dog owners are made aware of their responsibilities and fulfill them, or be fined heavily.

It is time to review the laws on dogs and licencing and to have a sensible attitude to caring and clearing up after a pet. We are supposed to be a civilised country and yet we have methods of dealing with dog excrement that are similar to pre-victorian methods of dealing with excrement.

Edited by Margarita Ma
extra wording

It is good to see heavy rain. It will wash away much of the dog muck contamination from the areas in the park where the council dumped it.

I suppose the question now entering my mind is "WHERE IS IT BEING WASHED AWAY TO?"

I went to the farmers market earlier and could definitely smell dog muck.

Hello.

I've been reading this thread so intently over the past few days that it has forced me to post. I live near the park you see, so have a vested interest in the matter.

The dog dirt will be washed away in the rain, just the same as the rest of the dog dirt that can be seen or trodden in around the rest of Sheff.

Where will it end up? In the ground of course, just like it always has done since the invention of dogs.

Grow up or get over it. The choice is yours.

I too live near the park.

I too could be said to have a vested interest in it.

I have used and cared for the park in different ways over the years.

The issue is. What is the park for? The park is for the people of Sheffield to provide them with the facility to exersise.

The Norton Nursery area once had a use that could be argued to be legitimate, as it provided plants for the park and for other parks in Sheffield in latter years plants have been delivered there to be distributed to other areas as well as the Park itself. The Nursery area also provided a place for the tree care crews and other parks services to have a base from which to work This necessarily involves vehicles which are needed to carry out the various operations encumbent on the council Parks Department. This is a totally different matter to the use of a park area as a waste transfer site, which could be illegal.

Once, a very long time ago it was acceptable for humans to defecate wherever they felt they needed to and for it to be washed into the ground with the rain. Once it was acceptable for people to throw their defecation and urine into the street both of these things became intolerable as human populations grew, then we had the night-waste collectors who used the products of their collection to fertilise farmers fields and tan leather. We had earth closets that overfilled and caused overflow and pollution into streams and caused Cholera as the streams fed wells and pumps that were the water supply which people drank. This was unacceptable so efforts were made to separate sewage from drinking water and prevent water supply contamination. Are you really suggesting that we should go back to the days when water supply contamination with faecal matter was normal, because this is what you seem to be saying.

Faeces in the quantities that are collected from so called dog bins is extremely dangerous: if as you say you have been following the thread you must be aware of the disease this can cause. Growing up is what civilisation and civic responsibility is about. It is time for those people in charge of the parks to perform their civic duty of care for their community and sort out this situation which never should have occurred in the first place. Take away the dog bins and employ the dog warden to do what they should be doing instead of clearing someone else's foul mess. Responsible dog owners take their dog's mess home and deal with it.

Edited by Margarita Ma

Hello.

I've been reading this thread so intently over the past few days that it has forced me to post. I live near the park you see, so have a vested interest in the matter.

The dog dirt will be washed away in the rain, just the same as the rest of the dog dirt that can be seen or trodden in around the rest of Sheff.

Where will it end up? In the ground of course, just like it always has done since the invention of dogs.

Grow up or get over it. The choice is yours.

So it's okay to collect dog faeces from all over Sheffield and pile it in a public park to "be washed away"? Seriously.

I was surprised to learn from Sheffield Archives that there were three epidemics in 1832, 1849 and 1866. The last indigenous case of cholera in the UK was in 1893.

Toxicariasis is a rare complication of an infection caused by contact with dog faeces.

Blackbeard Is back in the UK, be it Rather jet lagged.

Just In case people are not aware, we do not take our drinking water from wells any more, the drinking water is treated before it reaches the taps. As an aside, there is a connection between Graves Park and cholera. When the cholera monument was struck by lightning in 1990, parts of it was stored in the nursery area until it could be rebuilt in 2006 some parts went missing and are thought to be now garden features. Just goes to prove you can't trust anyone. That just goes to show the nasty council hav been using that site for many years. If you you would like a copy of the article I wrote many years ago about cholera in Sheffield just send your email address and I will try to send you one.

---------- Post added 20-07-2014 at 00:19 ----------

I see that a lot has happened while I have been a way, I will have to do a lot of catching up. Word of warning, never talk to to the press, even if you are ex directory, you give far to much away. As an old radio operator would say, love and kisses. Time for bed, I need my beauty sleep.

I've just heard some rather sad news, I haven't see it posted anywhere else on the site. Wallbuilder who was contributing to this thread has died suddenly at home. We shall probably never now know what other results might have been from his investigations into this matter.

I didn't know him personally but he seems to have been a well known and well liked person in his local community. RIP Wallbuilder.