Once more Sheffield's Graves Park is used as a council tip.

Is it acceptable for the council to use parkland as a tipping ground.  

154 members have voted

1. 1. Is it acceptable for the council to use parkland as a tipping ground.

• Yes I have no problem with part of Graves Park being used as a tip
    • No. The land should not be used for this storing this filth.
    • The land should be cleared up and restored as public parkland.
    • Who cares as long as it’s not in a park near me.

Well Sheffield certainly has an interesting way of protecting its conservation areas. I would never have thought of putting a waste dump alongside a conservation area so the litter can enhance the historic buildings and the stink add to the ambience.

Any SENSIBLE response from the council yet?

Nothing so far, they're busy fumbling around trying to make excuses.

It seems fairly obvious the place is being used as an ad-hoc waste holding area, there seems to be little bother with adhering to the correct HSE regulations.

Anyone know why, so far, apart from Radio Sheffield, neither the Star or local TV have run anything on this ?

Can someone post some photos?

I have some holiday snaps from May, will those do?

---------- Post added 15-07-2014 at 12:36 ----------

Any SENSIBLE response from the council yet?

:hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi:

Edited by polo mint

I have some holiday snaps from May, will those do?

If they're good photos then I'll consider them. :P

---------- Post added 15-07-2014 at 12:49 ----------

Anyone know why, so far, apart from Radio Sheffield, neither the Star or local TV have run anything on this ?

Have they been sent the photos that were just posted above?

And a google maps link to show the location?

I wonder as well whether I am the only person who has bothered to contact the local councillor to try and get some clarification on the situation? The response seems to be they are aware that a lot more rubbish than they would of liked has accumulated and although the site has been used as a temporary storage area for a long time the pens constructed are not up to the amount that has built up because of the time of year and the lorry with the grab arm has needed repairs. However with the installation of two large skips this will if nothing else tidy the area up . As this has now been volunteered to me I'm quite prepared to leave it for a few days before taking a wander up there to check on progress. I managed to find out a few things with a minimum of effort and so am slightly suprised that the friends of the park aren't persueing a similar tack and then giving their members an accurate update on the state of play.

I wonder as well whether I am the only person who has bothered to contact the local councillor to try and get some clarification on the situation? The response seems to be they are aware that a lot more rubbish than they would of liked has accumulated and although the site has been used as a temporary storage area for a long time the pens constructed are not up to the amount that has built up because of the time of year and the lorry with the grab arm has needed repairs. However with the installation of two large skips this will if nothing else tidy the area up . As this has now been volunteered to me I'm quite prepared to leave it for a few days before taking a wander up there to check on progress. I managed to find out a few things with a minimum of effort and so am slightly suprised that the friends of the park aren't persueing a similar tack and then giving their members an accurate update on the state of play.

I asked my local councillor, Jack Scott, on Twitter, no reply yet.

Has anyone reported the situation to the Environment Agency yet?

jb

I asked my local councillor, Jack Scott, on Twitter, no reply yet.

See post #141. He has either been misinformed, or is lying through his back teeth. Never did like him, threw a massive strop when I came out of a polling station a few years ago, he asked me who I voted for and said Party X (not Labour). He flounced off without a word a reply into a waiting car :loopy::loopy: