Once more Sheffield's Graves Park is used as a council tip.

Is it acceptable for the council to use parkland as a tipping ground.  

154 members have voted

1. 1. Is it acceptable for the council to use parkland as a tipping ground.

• Yes I have no problem with part of Graves Park being used as a tip
    • No. The land should not be used for this storing this filth.
    • The land should be cleared up and restored as public parkland.
    • Who cares as long as it’s not in a park near me.

Is there any proof that it's the council that are dumping this waste?

Someone needs to get a photo similar to the one a few years back when they were caught doing it??

This photo from 14 years ago \/

The council tries to enhance Sheffields image by spending a few million on the Tour de France, then does more to harm the cities image trying to save £50 by fly tipping in it's own parks.

Don't let you kids play near the streams and rivers of Sheffield folk.

Bags of dog muck coming to a park near you.

Two local councillors (Ian Auckland and Steve Ayris) are fully aware of the situation as they were present at the Friends of Graves park AGM which was held on the 2nd July.

Don't forget there is also the issue regarding Cobnar Cottage which SCC is wanting to sell off.

Please keep up the pressure on SCC regarding this as well.

But this thread has all blown up since then, they now know that people outside the area are aware of what's going on.

So it's more that 10 days since they were told, what have they done about it so far? Are they keeping you informed?

Any response yet from the Greens? This should be right up their alley.

I live locally and this afternoon at around 3pm I saw a white flatback transit type van go into the nursery loaded with bin bags and leave empty about 10 mins later. I've no idea if these are council workers but I can see and hear the site it working "normally" today, so presumably this is still taking place with the full consent of the council managers?

I live locally and this afternoon at around 3pm I saw a white flatback transit type van go into the nursery loaded with bin bags and leave empty about 10 mins later. I've no idea if these are council workers but I can see and hear the site it working "normally" today, so presumably this is still taking place with the full consent of the council managers?

That seems about right. I photographed up there this morning and again this afternoon. The pile of stinking rubbish was about twice the size that it had been in the morning. I have passed on the photos so they will probably be on the internet by now.

I was also talking to a council worker who was saying that the guys have no protective gear for handling this stuff. A little while ago a bag burst whilst being added to the heap and some poor guy was covered in festering dog faeces. He has subsequently had time off on the sick.

Jack Scott is always pretty active on Twitter, so I asked him what was happening, this is what I got back;

Jack Scott ‏@Jack_Scott 26m

understand is beig sorted tomorrow. Was because a vehicle broke down.

7:41 PM - 14 Jul 2014

So keep an eye out, should be all clear tomorrow !

Jack Scott is always pretty active on Twitter, so I asked him what was happening, this is what I got back;

By the sound of it they aren't short of vehicles for bringing the stuff in.

I just looked at this website and there seems to be plenty of vehicles around.

Just to be clear. Several tons of festering filth doesn't arrive by chance. Someone put it there and it isn't for the sake of one vehicle that it arrived and remains there..

Edited by Vincero dOro

So someone is being told porkies then?

Did Jack mention how another truck load of trash arrived this afternoon despite the truck being broken, or how the piles of rubbish arrived in the first place.

I wonder if he would like to comment on the woefull lack of protective clothing available to those working in this cesspit. I'm not sure that I'd be happy wading into it all with nothing more than a pair of Marigolds.

That place isn't going anywhere and it certainly isn't for the lack of a vehicle. There have been deliveries of those big shipping containers and large skips. There are more trucks taking stuff in than there are bringing stuff out. There is rubbish blowing around all over the place. The Serpentine walk is an ancient footpath from Norton to Greenhill. You wouldn't want to walk it now. They are building a toxic waste dump on top of a badger set.