Once more Sheffield's Graves Park is used as a council tip.

Is it acceptable for the council to use parkland as a tipping ground.  

154 members have voted

1. 1. Is it acceptable for the council to use parkland as a tipping ground.

• Yes I have no problem with part of Graves Park being used as a tip
    • No. The land should not be used for this storing this filth.
    • The land should be cleared up and restored as public parkland.
    • Who cares as long as it’s not in a park near me.

Oh the irony .............. Comrade Dore and her poodle Jack Scott giving it the big one about fly tipping and here we find out the council are fly tipping on a grand scale.

Oh dear, oh dear , oh dear

It could be that the rubbish is just being stored there...

... awaiting the 2 weekly bin collection! :huh:

It could be that the rubbish is just being stored there...

... awaiting the 2 weekly bin collection! :huh:

I always thought the bin wagons took the stuff to Bernard Road. I had no idea they just dumped it into the nearest public park.

Once again, it is time to remind people that there is a difference between The Council, Councillors and Council Officers.

The current mis-use of the site may well be the actions of Council Officers, without the awareness of Councillors.

Once the Councillors are made aware, they do become responsible, both as overseers of the work of Council Officers and as Trustees of Graves Park.

Readers should also be aware, that no matter how insignificant this may seem to them, the Council and their Officers have "previous" with regard to this type of thing.

Past experience has shown that they use this, uncontested activity, to declare a facility as being unnecessary as part of a Park.

"Why? ... we've been using it as a tip for years and nobody bothered. Let's sell it or use it for something else!"

It is right that every misuse or change of use be questioned and brought to the attention of all concerned.

Well as I've been contacted by a radio station, a TV station and a newspaper about this I would assume the councillors will also know. So unless on Monday someone steps forward and says it's all been a terrible mistake and we've sacked those involved I would anticipate it being business as usual.

Well as I've been contacted by a radio station, a TV station and a newspaper about this I would assume the councillors will also know. So unless on Monday someone steps forward and says it's all been a terrible mistake and we've sacked those involved I would anticipate it being business as usual.

Well done, shoot first ask questions later, this is just like the Yom Kippur War. Attack your enemy on their holy day, in this case the weekend when nothing can get done. You have had a whole weekend to put the boot in and not even had the curtesy to inform the enemy that the battle has started, they will have to read about it in the paper over breakfast.

All I can say, thank god you are not in charge of the nuclear button.

Edited by Blackbeard

Well done, shoot first ask questions later, this is just like the Yom Kippur War. Attack your enemy on their holy day, in this case the weekend when nothing can get done. You have had a whole weekend to put the boot in and not even had the curtesy to inform the enemy that the battle has started, they will have to read about it in the paper over breakfast.

All I can say, thank god you are not in charge of the nuclear button.

That's pretty funny. Isn't it the council who attack by tipping tons of dog muck in a public park without telling anybody first. The council have form on this. They have been attacking the park for the last couple of decades.

I think it goes something like this. If the council don't tip massive piles of filthy disgusting stinking toxic waste on folk's doorsteps those folk won't make a fuss about it.

You do come over rather as a council stooge and you are doing a very poor job of it.

Edited by oldprune

I heard about this on Radio Sheffield on my way in this morning.

ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTING.

That's pretty funny. Isn't it the council who attack by tipping tons of dog muck in a public park without telling anybody first. The council have form on this. They have been attacking the park for the last couple of decades.

I think it goes something like this. If the council don't tip massive piles of filthy disgusting stinking toxic waste on folk's doorsteps those folk won't make a fuss about it.

You do come over rather as a council stooge and you are doing a very poor job of it.

Council stooge or voice of reason?

Check my posts and track record, as I have said before I have ago at all parties and organisations, some open themselves to comment more often.

You will find a lot of my posts end with, no matter who you vote for, the council always get in.

Have you read all the posts in this thread?

There is even more rubbish there today. There are several rolls of old carpet along with household furniture. There is also heaps of rubbish overflowing from the black bin bags, many of which are in tatters. The smell is appalling.

This is totally unacceptable on charitable status land which doesn't belong to the council.

I'm aware that the link to this thread has been forwarded to two of the local councillors for Graves Park Ward in the last couple of days.

It'll be interesting to see what they do about it. The councillors for GPW are all LibDems, so not actually in control of what the SCC does.

Has anyone informed the Greens yet?

I'm aware that the link to this thread has been forwarded to two of the local councillors for Graves Park Ward in the last couple of days.

It'll be interesting to see what they do about it. The councillors for GPW are all LibDems, so not actually in control of what the SCC does.

Has anyone informed the Greens yet?

Two local councillors (Ian Auckland and Steve Ayris) are fully aware of the situation as they were present at the Friends of Graves park AGM which was held on the 2nd July.

Don't forget there is also the issue regarding Cobnar Cottage which SCC is wanting to sell off.

Please keep up the pressure on SCC regarding this as well.

Is there any proof that it's the council that are dumping this waste?

Is there any proof that it's the council that are dumping this waste?

The council have admitted it. They have also constructed several huge pens to contain the filth. ..and council vehicles are being used to bring it in.