Once more Sheffield's Graves Park is used as a council tip.

Is it acceptable for the council to use parkland as a tipping ground.  

154 members have voted

1. 1. Is it acceptable for the council to use parkland as a tipping ground.

• Yes I have no problem with part of Graves Park being used as a tip
    • No. The land should not be used for this storing this filth.
    • The land should be cleared up and restored as public parkland.
    • Who cares as long as it’s not in a park near me.

Well Blackbeard you've certainly become defender of the council in this thread and it seems to be your reason for being here.

I think the people, like myself, who live in the area and frequent the park have a right to question what's happening. Seeing as you live, as you say, north of the city then I don't see why you're getting your knickers in a twist over this.

We are both on the same side when it comes to fighting for the parks of Sheffield but there is more than one in Sheffield. Defending the council? has anyone bothered to talk to any of the departments involved instead of just attacking them, I can't see any evidence in this thread.

Who is the "council"?

You will find that a lot of my comments end with "no matter who you vote for, the council always get in"

I gave up local politics over 45 years ago when I discovered that Councillors spent their time trying to help others but just got flack from everyone, it was not worth it, I took the easy route and let others do it.

Blimey 45 years ago. You're even older than me. Didn't really think you were going to let me have the last word, mate. I was just giving barpen breathing space so he could come up with the killer punch

Blimey 45 years ago. You're even older than me. Didn't really think you were going to let me have the last word, mate. I was just giving barpen breathing space so he could come up with the killer punch

I am old and as I said I can remember when the parks of Sheffield were wondrous places, I can also remember being thrown out of a park by a parky ringing a bell and locking up the gate after me. Sadly when the councilors of old signed covenants committing future generations to pick up the bills well into the future there was money galore to pay for the upkeep of parks, how things have changed.

You DO like to have the last word though. Admit it

You DO like to have the last word though. Admit it

I am just giving you some of my many years of experience lol

OMG I'm 65 and my kids would cringe if they knew I'd used LOL :hihi::hihi:

Anyway thanks for the benefit of your experience. At my age I don't get offered it very often.

PS This is not an attempt to have the last word. I'm just off to sit in the sun as the winds in the right direction and not blowing the smell of dog muck across Beauchief.

Although I've now raised the subject with the three local councillors I doubt that I'll hear anything back for a few days at least as they'll have to make their own enquiries. I could of course go through to the parks department and ask to speak to the officer in charge of the park and so am slightly suprised that the friends of the park haven't gone down this route.

On a side note I don't want to broadcast the type of machinery stored at the nursery site but the majority is not all road vehicles such as vans, tipper trucks and the like as has been claimed.

Seriously barpen, do you really think Blackbeards going to let himself be beaten in an argument ?

I'm not really bothered. Everyone can see through his inane bablings and it keeps the thread top of the pile. In the meantime I've had a nice day out. I've just got back 10 minutes ago to the news that the photos of the tipping have been copied to more than 500 Facebook pages in the last 24 hours. Sheffield is becoming famous.

---------- Post added 13-07-2014 at 16:35 ----------

I am old and as I said I can remember when the parks of Sheffield were wondrous places, I can also remember being thrown out of a park by a parky ringing a bell and locking up the gate after me. Sadly when the councilors of old signed covenants committing future generations to pick up the bills well into the future there was money galore to pay for the upkeep of parks, how things have changed.

That's odd this morning you were claiming that Graves Park had been gifted during the Great Recession. How things have changed in just a few hours.

Edited by barpen

That's odd this morning you were claiming that Graves Park had been gifted during the Great Recession. How things have changed in just a few hours.

You put me right and I acknowledged it, you said the "Great Desperation" was not in 1926

Once again, it is time to remind people that there is a difference between The Council, Councillors and Council Officers.

The current mis-use of the site may well be the actions of Council Officers, without the awareness of Councillors.

Once the Councillors are made aware, they do become responsible, both as overseers of the work of Council Officers and as Trustees of Graves Park.

Readers should also be aware, that no matter how insignificant this may seem to them, the Council and their Officers have "previous" with regard to this type of thing.

Past experience has shown that they use this, uncontested activity, to declare a facility as being unnecessary as part of a Park.

"Why? ... we've been using it as a tip for years and nobody bothered. Let's sell it or use it for something else!"

It is right that every misuse or change of use be questioned and brought to the attention of all concerned.

Once again, it is time to remind people that there is a difference between The Council, Councillors and Council Officers.

The current mis-use of the site may well be the actions of Council Officers, without the awareness of Councillors.

Once the Councillors are made aware, they do become responsible, both as overseers of the work of Council Officers and as Trustees of Graves Park.

Readers should also be aware, that no matter how insignificant this may seem to them, the Council and their Officers have "previous" with regard to this type of thing.

Past experience has shown that they use this, uncontested activity, to declare a facility as being unnecessary as part of a Park.

"Why? ... we've been using it as a tip for years and nobody bothered. Let's sell it or use it for something else!"

It is right that every misuse or change of use be questioned and brought to the attention of all concerned.

Point taken, tell the relevant people first and not have a which hunt without getting a response from the "guilty" parties. Who knows, there could be a very good reason for it. Looking at the photos on the facebook site the offending building have been there for many years and are not new builds.

wonder what Julie dore and her cronies think of this

Oh the irony .............. Comrade Dore and her poodle Jack Scott giving it the big one about fly tipping and here we find out the council are fly tipping on a grand scale.

Oh dear, oh dear , oh dear