Once more Sheffield's Graves Park is used as a council tip.

Is it acceptable for the council to use parkland as a tipping ground.  

154 members have voted

1. 1. Is it acceptable for the council to use parkland as a tipping ground.

• Yes I have no problem with part of Graves Park being used as a tip
    • No. The land should not be used for this storing this filth.
    • The land should be cleared up and restored as public parkland.
    • Who cares as long as it’s not in a park near me.

I don't understand "main part of the park". Graves Park is Graves Park. ALL the land was gifted by JG Graves as public parkland for the people of Sheffield. The council as trustees are obliged to clear the area of park they poluted and restore the damage they caused whilst opperating a depot there. Instead of clearing their rubbish the council is adding to it by dumping waste from other parks on the charitable status land.

I'm not sure how a trustee of a charity who's primary objective is to provide a recreation ground for the people of Sheffield can justify using the land for the convenience of Sheffield Council.

Thanks for that, let me get this right, you object that the council are using the park as a depot; they should not be there because it does not belong to them?

I can see clearly now the rain is gone!

This is a bit like Spain and Gibraltar, Spain kicks up a fuss because we are occupying their land, it is all about who owns what.

I did say I had never been there but I have been told I have, I have visited the petting farm. I have just looked up what is at the petting farm and it says

“Animal Farm

Perhaps Graves Park’s greatest asset is its Animal Farm. The farm is home to Highland Cattle, Sheep, Donkeys, Goats, Pigs, Deer, Ducks, Chickens, Rabbits, Chinchillas and lots of other animals."

One further question what do they do with all the excrement from them?

And no I am not a councilor or work for the council.

Thanks for that, let me get this right, you object that the council are using the park as a depot; they should not be there because it does not belong to them?

I can see clearly now the rain is gone!

This is a bit like Spain and Gibraltar, Spain kicks up a fuss because we are occupying their land, it is all about who owns what.

I did say I had never been there but I have been told I have, I have visited the petting farm. I have just looked up what is at the petting farm and it says

“Animal Farm

Perhaps Graves Park’s greatest asset is its Animal Farm. The farm is home to Highland Cattle, Sheep, Donkeys, Goats, Pigs, Deer, Ducks, Chickens, Rabbits, Chinchillas and lots of other animals."

One further question what do they do with all the excrement from them?

And no I am not a councilor or work for the council.

The land was gifted to the people of Sheffield as public access parkland. The council have seen fit to occupy an area contrary to the covenants. The charity commission ordered the occupation of charitable parkland to cease and the council agreed to do this. So far around 2/3 of the land has been cleared and restored. This is however a new violation. On land that they should be clearing a facility has been created where we understand refuse collected from the city's parks is gathered. This includes the contents of bins and dog mess bins. This is just dumped in a corner of Graves Park for purposes unknown. Today I found another large pile of fridges and frezers. Most had had the motors pulled out and the gases released. The bags containing dog excrement were in tatters and the contents spread around.

The area in question is around 30 metres from local homes and on one side actually borders an area of restored parkland.

The excrement from the farm animals is standard farm waste from vegetarian animals. It is composted down and used as compost.

The excrement from dogs is excrement from meat eaters and all together a different proposition as regards health hazzards. You can put horse muck on you rubbarb but you certainly wouldn't use babies nappies or dog muck on it.

The hazzards of storing dog muck.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/12/09/dog-poop-scoop-infectious-disease_n_1138618.html

Once a week, Dwight Farias-Rios visits Max's yard to clean up after him. The owner of Call of Doodie, a pet waste removal service in New Jersey, is typically welcomed by about 14 mounds of the American Bulldog's feces -- some droppings fresher than others.

"Poop is gross," Farios-Rios told The Huffington Post. "It's also not healthy."

That can go for both pets and their human companions.

In fact, Max had been suffering sequential bouts of giardia infections before his owners hired Farias-Rios to do his weekly dirty work. "A vet had fixed Max up," he told The Huffington Post, "but then he kept going back out into the yard and catching [giardia] again because the owner didn't clean up his waste."

A long list of potentially infectious agents are known to live in dog and cat feces -- from E. coli to tapeworms. But perhaps less well known is the fact that a lot of these parasites actually become more infectious as the poop ages.

"It takes many types of parasite eggs a while to ripen," said Dr. Emily Beeler, an animal disease surveillance veterinarian for the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health. Toxoplasmosis, which is more common in cats than in dogs, typically takes more than 24 hours to become infectious, she explained. Roundworm can take up to three weeks, and then may remain infectious for years in contaminated soil and water. (A recent CDC study found 14 percent of Americans tested positive for roundworms.)

Of course, this is not to say that fresh is always best. Newly dropped doo-doo still contain tons of bacteria, noted Dr. Beeler, which may also pose a health risk.

"People just tend to think [old poop] is not as smelly, a little less disgusting," and therefore easier to scoop or simply ignore, added Dr. Beeler, who co-authored a report on the link between animal feces and infectious disease this summer.

Edited by Bigthumb

Have now had a chat to one of the local councillors who has taken notes and is going to look into things they also copied in emails to the other two local councillors so I am now waiting to see what the response will be. The area may not be open to the general public but now the three local councillors are involved I suspect there may be info forthcoming

Are the Grave Park Trust responsible for the maintenance of the park and is that work done by them or the Friends of Graves Park?

Please any one who feels moved enough to contact the council or their local councillor regarding this matter, to also protest about the selling of Cobnar Cottage.

Another shameful attempt by this Labour Council to sell off parts of Graves Park.

Please any one who feels moved enough to contact the council or their local councillor regarding this matter, to also protest about the selling of Cobnar Cottage.

Another shameful attempt by this Labour Council to sell off parts of Graves Park.

Further indications that the trustees of the charity have scant regard for the charity or their responsibilities to it. The Charity Commission must be aware that these people are not fit to be trustees.

I have now had a little wander up to see for myself and so can report my findings. There didn't seem to be mountains of rubbish on show from the road so as the gates werre open I walked in. Still nothing to be seen apart from some vehicles and trailers/machinery which looked as though it is used for park mainttenance. Went on past the various greenhouses and prefabs till I eventually found a much smaller less offensive pile of rubbish. It didn't look very nice but was scarcely the mountainous hideously ponging pile I'd expected. No large amounts of white goods and although there were a few shopping trolleys but don't think that can be all the debris collected from council parks across the city and the dog poo although evident from a smell was scarcely all over the area either as has been reported. Maybe the workforce had managed to get there before I did and had tidied up or maybe some people have exagerated the issue.

I have now had a little wander up to see for myself and so can report my findings. There didn't seem to be mountains of rubbish on show from the road so as the gates werre open I walked in. Still nothing to be seen apart from some vehicles and trailers/machinery which looked as though it is used for park mainttenance. Went on past the various greenhouses and prefabs till I eventually found a much smaller less offensive pile of rubbish. It didn't look very nice but was scarcely the mountainous hideously ponging pile I'd expected. No large amounts of white goods and although there were a few shopping trolleys but don't think that can be all the debris collected from council parks across the city and the dog poo although evident from a smell was scarcely all over the area either as has been reported. Maybe the workforce had managed to get there before I did and had tidied up or maybe some people have exagerated the issue.

I would say this is pretty unacceptable in public park wouldn't you ?

Maybe my standards are higher than yours :)

It's absolutely scandalous - licence or no licence!

15 years ago, the Council agreed with the Charity Commission that the land would be restored to parkland within fifteen years. That 15 years is now up!

I don't like what I saw but it's not visible from the park which most people may be walking in I even went prowling round the Chantreyland meadow to see what the smell was like and although I was now downwind of the area it wasn't particularily noticeable. If the stuff has to be stored temporarily then I'd of preferred it to be in a couple of walk-in skips/containers and although it is tucked in a section of the nursery compound that most users of the site probably wouldn't need to go near I'd still prefer to see the stuff gone.

That's very odd because I too was there and saw the piles of rubbish along with a lage heap of white goods. The difference between you and me is that I took a camera to back up my report.

Here is today's heaps of rubbish dumped in Graves Park. Click on NEXT for it to move to the next image.

There were around a dozen or more fridges and freezers, a video machine, a large monitor, and countless bags of rubbish. Many of the bags had been burst open by animals and birds. The little black bags that you can see are bags of dog muck that folk took the trouble to pick up, but are now back on the ground ready to pollute the local springs.

Perhaps you should have gone to SpecSavers!

Edited by SHYTOT