Once more Sheffield's Graves Park is used as a council tip.

Is it acceptable for the council to use parkland as a tipping ground.  

154 members have voted

1. 1. Is it acceptable for the council to use parkland as a tipping ground.

• Yes I have no problem with part of Graves Park being used as a tip
    • No. The land should not be used for this storing this filth.
    • The land should be cleared up and restored as public parkland.
    • Who cares as long as it’s not in a park near me.

The thing is, someone somewhere high up in authority has allowed this, and thinks it's acceptable. Wonder what else they are doing out of sight ?

I'm aware that the friends of graves park are on the ball. The question is...

"WHAT ARE THE COUNCIL DUMPING IN YOUR PARK?"

The thing is, someone somewhere high up in authority has allowed this, and thinks it's acceptable. Wonder what else they are doing out of sight ?

This is unacceptable. I was a student in Sheffield and this makes me cringe. I'm pasting this to my facebook and passing the links on to our local media.

I'm sorry but you have to blame it on the Government cos you can be pretty sure when the Council makes any statement that's who's fault it's going to be.

I'm sorry but you have to blame it on the Government cos you can be pretty sure when the Council makes any statement that's who's fault it's going to be.

Thank you, have answered the question on behalf of the council

"Between 2010 and 2015, government funding to local government will be cut by 43% in real terms, which is more than twice the level of cuts experienced across government as a whole."

http://www.theguardian.com/local-government-network/2013/nov/11/big-council-budget-cuts-clive-betts

Point missed really Blackbeard and I'm not impressed by anything that comes from the Guardian. I think we all know where they stand.

My point is that this Council never accepts any mistakes made and is never at fault. I'm in my 60s and can't ever remember them holding their hands up and saying we got something wrong.

Point missed really Blackbeard and I'm not impressed by anything that comes from the Guardian. I think we all know where they stand.

My point is that this Council never accepts any mistakes made and is never at fault. I'm in my 60s and can't ever remember them holding their hands up and saying we got something wrong.

The Daily Fail interpreted it differently, will that help you?

"The leaders of three of England's biggest cities have warned government cuts will lead to the 'break up of civil society' with chaos on the streets

Council leaders of Newcastle, Liverpool and Sheffield, where Nick Clegg is an MP, called for the government to halt cuts that they say unfairly penalise the north over the south, before 'crime and community tensions erupt'.

There are also signs of a backlash from rural authorities, mostly Conservative-led, who claim that the shires are losing out disproportionately under the Government's cuts."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2254816/Government-cuts-lead-rioting-claim-council-leaders-say-North-hit-hardest-austerity.html

Funding is hardly an issue here. The council installed parking meters in the park 2 years ago which they claim have generated £53,000 of extra income which according to the charitable trust should belong to the Graves Park Charity. The charity still seems to be awaiting most of this money.

The issue here is the trustees of the Graves Park Charity (Sheffield Councillors) are required to always act in the best interest of the charity when it comes to matters relating to the park. I'd be interested to hear from any of them how piling dog crap, bike frames, old fridges, and tyres in the park is in the best interest of the charity, who's primary objective is the provision of leisure grounds for the people of Sheffield. It does not have an object to store waste.. It would appear the the council who are doing the tipping are not paying any rent to the Graves Park Charity for use of the land they are abusing.

---------- Post added 12-07-2014 at 09:21 ----------

This is unacceptable. I was a student in Sheffield and this makes me cringe. I'm pasting this to my facebook and passing the links on to our local media.

I have also linked onto my facebook page, and have asked my friends to do the same. There is an image of Sheffield going round the world that I'm sure isn't the one that Sheffield is trying to convey. If anyone else has a social media account I would urge them to add a link to...

http://www.gravespark.org.

Edited by barpen

I've just been up to take some more photographs. The place is worse today. There were dozens of bibds pecking the bin bags to bits. Litter was blowing around all over the place and little bags of dog crap leaking all over the place. Someone should serve time for such a blatant disregard for human health.

I will post more photographs when I get home.

I've had an email back from a local councillor who has arranged to pop round to see me and get any other info that I may have so I'll point them at the forum at least.

I've had an email back from a local councillor who has arranged to pop round to see me and get any other info that I may have so I'll point them at the forum at least.

Well point him at this.

The magpies were merrily pulling the bags to bits this morning as scattering their contents to the 4 winds. There were little black bags of dog crap all over the place just waiting for tonights rain storm to transfer them into the streams that run through the park, past the kids playground and through the gardens of Woodseats into the River Sheaf.

The last batch of photos were shared with 186 people in 7 countries. These are the images of Sheffield that are going out to the world.

Well point him at this.

The magpies were merrily pulling the bags to bits this morning as scattering their contents to the 4 winds. There were little black bags of dog crap all over the place just waiting for tonights rain storm to transfer them into the streams that run through the park, past the kids playground and through the gardens of Woodseats into the River Sheaf.

The last batch of photos were shared with 186 people in 7 countries. These are the images of Sheffield that are going out to the world.

Thanks for the photo, I thought this had been dumped in the main part of the park, is it a council depot in the park rather than the main park. Sorry I never visit Graves Park so I was unaware of where the dumping was.

Thanks for the photo, I thought this had been dumped in the main part of the park, is it a council depot in the park rather than the main park. Sorry I never visit Graves Park so I was unaware of where the dumping was.

I don't understand "main part of the park". Graves Park is Graves Park. ALL the land was gifted by JG Graves as public parkland for the people of Sheffield. The council as trustees are obliged to clear the area of park they poluted and restore the damage they caused whilst opperating a depot there. Instead of clearing their rubbish the council is adding to it by dumping waste from other parks on the charitable status land.

I'm not sure how a trustee of a charity who's primary objective is to provide a recreation ground for the people of Sheffield can justify using the land for the convenience of Sheffield Council.