Once more Sheffield's Graves Park is used as a council tip.

Is it acceptable for the council to use parkland as a tipping ground.  

154 members have voted

1. 1. Is it acceptable for the council to use parkland as a tipping ground.

• Yes I have no problem with part of Graves Park being used as a tip
    • No. The land should not be used for this storing this filth.
    • The land should be cleared up and restored as public parkland.
    • Who cares as long as it’s not in a park near me.

Local residents are complaining of the smell and home owners are seeing rats coming into their gardens.

http://www.gravespark.org/

Congratulations to Sheffield City Council, you've turned Graves Park into Page Hall :roll:

I'll take an amble up there to see what it looks like and to see whether it can be seen or smelt from the park proper as I thought the nursery site was fairly well sheilded from the park. However I wont be worried about wandering in to the nursery site itself and then will attempt firstly to contact the officer in charge of Graves park who is part of the parks and countryside team so based in Meersbrook park. I'm on first name terms with one of the local councillors as well so will ask them to look into what is going on as well once I've ascertained the situation.

I have seen a response to the complaints from a Councillor Isobel Bowler who admits the council is dumping at the site. She also admits that dog faeces from the red bins in Sheffield parks is part of the what is being dumped. She then goes on to explain that dog faeces is not hazardous waste. Well that should come as news to all the health experts who have reported on the dangers and diseases that it spreads.

Perhaps someone should pop round to see Councillor Bowler and ask if she would be prepared to have a few tons of the stuff left on her back garden.

I have seen a response to the complaints from a Councillor Isobel Bowler who admits the council is dumping at the site. She also admits that dog faeces from the red bins in Sheffield parks is part of the what is being dumped. She then goes on to explain that dog faeces is not hazardous waste. Well that should come as news to all the health experts who have reported on the dangers and diseases that it spreads.

Perhaps someone should pop round to see Councillor Bowler and ask if she would be prepared to have a few tons of the stuff left on her back garden.

Then why are dog poop bins provided by the council ?

Well some-one within the council considered this to be a good option so I'm going to be asking which bright spark started this process up and as it's obviously not satisfactory what the council are going to do to resolve things, for example I thought this city had an incinerator.

Then why are dog poop bins provided by the council ?

That's a good question. In most cities dog owners are requested to clear up the doggy doos from the parks, stick it in a plastic bag and take it away. In Sheffield it seems the council takes doggy doos, puts tons of it into plastic bags and puts it into their parks.

The TV companies are going to love this. Look North is based in Leeds. They'll be down here like a shot for this one.

...what the council are going to do to resolve things, for example I thought this city had an incinerator.

Very good point, we do indeed have an incinerator.

Is this fly-tipping a political move designed to once again wrest ownership of nurseries away from the park trustees to the council? :suspect:

Very good point, we do indeed have an incinerator.

Is this fly-tipping a political move designed to once again wrest ownership of nurseries away from the park trustees to the council? :suspect:

Very likely the case.

Strange than no one from Sheffield City Council has joined this interesting conversation..........

Very likely the case.

Strange than no one from Sheffield City Council has joined this interesting conversation..........

I doubt they could claim any expenses for posting on here. So there's your probable answer.

I doubt they could claim any expenses for posting on here. So there's your probable answer.

Friday night so probably all out on the lash - on expenses !

I can't believe that such a beautiful park as Graves is being desecrated by the very people who should be protecting it for the use of Sheffield folk who it was gifted to.

Sheffield Council - you should be ashamed !:rant:

A few more photos up on the facebook page. It was nice of the council to park their tipper trucks for effect.

Note the water run off heading for that stream that goes alongside the kiddies play area and then down through Woodseats.

Edited by SHYTOT

so the lowedges festival sun august 10th have to pay for a skip to remove all rubbish from greenhill park and probably other events not run by the scc also have to pay,but they just dump there rubbish at graves park,that doesn't seem very good to us,why should others pay as they demand and they don't unfair rules,plus dangerous to public health.