Once more Sheffield's Graves Park is used as a council tip.

Is it acceptable for the council to use parkland as a tipping ground.  

154 members have voted

1. 1. Is it acceptable for the council to use parkland as a tipping ground.

• Yes I have no problem with part of Graves Park being used as a tip
    • No. The land should not be used for this storing this filth.
    • The land should be cleared up and restored as public parkland.
    • Who cares as long as it’s not in a park near me.

Is it right that the council should take a large area of a public park and use it for tipping waste that includes dog faeces, waste from bins, old fridges, waste paper, waste food, freezers, cookers, carpets, old bike frames, tyres & derelict machinery.

Around 15 years ago the council were caught red handed tipping refuse in Graves Park. It seems history is repeating itself as Graves Park is once more being used as a tip.

Local residents are complaining of the smell and home owners are seeing rats coming into their gardens. It is hardly surprising because it appears a large proportion of what is being dumped is dog excrement collected from dog muck bins around the city and storred in nothing more that black plastic bags which are being torn open by foxes from the park.

http://www.gravespark.org/

I called to see the place myself today and the smell was awful. To compound the reckless behaviour there are several old fridges and freezers just dumped on the site with their motors removed and the greenhouse gasses allowed to escape to damage the Ozone layer.

Graves Park is designated charitable status park land. It is not licensed as a tip and certainly it isn't licensed to handle toxic waste.

Edited by SHYTOT

wonder what Julie dore and her cronies think of this

It might be worth getting in touch with the environment agency.

Which part of the park is it in please? So I can avoid it.

Forget it - just read the link - sorry

It sounds horrific to say the least,contact the local councilors,we at the lowedges festival sun august 10th in greenhill park have been told we must clean all rubbish from the park on the day of the event and must pay for a large skip to remove it,at our cost to ensure the park is clean and safe by order of the parks dept,sounds like they dont practice what they preach to others,we will as always obey that rule and have done for 5 years,they normally provide the skip but due to cuts cannot do it this year

Id report them to environmental health

Id also question whatever charity owns it and if not satisfied report them to the charity commission.

Id also question whatever charity owns it and if not satisfied report them to the charity commission.

So you want to report the Council to the Council? :hihi:

The trustees of the charity are all Sheffield councillors.

They still have different duties as trustees. If you feel theres a conflict of interest then you should report them to the CC.

The trustees of the charity are all Sheffield councillors.

can they be named on here ? then maybe people could ask questions about how this could happen and who the councillors pass the buck onto

I think my biggest concern would be the water courses up there. There is a stream that runs from up there alongside the cricket pitch. It then runs through Lowedges and into the River Drone. Another comes out into the stream that runs down to Woodseats.

The problem with the one alongside the cricket pitch is it overflows whenever it rains and runs out of the park entrance onto the road outside. I've seen kids playing in it.

If there are open bags of dog excrement a rain storm will put unknown contamination into the water table.

Didn't Sheffield have one or two cholera epidemics. I believe dying in one's teens was a popular Sheffield Passtime not much more than a century back.

So you want to report the Council to the Council? :hihi:

No need to be an idiot.

You report them to environmental health. If they wont do their job then you can bring a case before the ombudsman.

You should report them to the charity which runs the park, presumably they have certian duties to see its run and kept to a certain standard. presumably they would wnat to do something about it. If the trustees happen to be councilors, then they should not be involved in any of the decisions because in this instance they would have a conflict of interest. IF the charity doesnt carry its stated aims and objectives, then you would report them to the charity commission.