Windows 8.1, no HDMI output and other problems

Is anyone else having problems with windows 8.1?

I upgraded my PC to Windows 8 when it was first released and everything was fine. My PC has now updated itself to 8.1 and I'm having no end of problems.

Firstly there is no HDMI out anymore. Tried updating drivers etc. but still no luck. Doesn't have an option for 2nd monitor anymore. Have my PC connected to a HDMI matrix so this is a big problem.

Also my printer has stopped working and according to the Epson website there are no drivers for my printer for a 64bit machine running 8.1, even though it worked previously on Windows 8.

And lastly it won't connect to my NAS properly, have to sign in every time I want do so something and the set up disk won't run.

Anyone had any of these problem and found a solution?

Edited by steroc

I think this will be a driver issue. I updated my dad's computer to 8.1 and had problems with the graphics card. 8.1 tried to use it's own driver instead of the manufacturers one. Google your problems to see if there is anyone else who's had the same issue.

Edited by Paddy

I think this will be a driver issue. I updated my dad's computer to 8.1 and had problems wither graphics card. 8.1 tried to use it's own driver instead of the manufacturers one. Google your problems to see if there is anyone else who's had the same issue.

That was my first step to Google it. Found a lot of people with the same problem but no answer. Tried updating the driver but computer says I already have the latest version installed and gives no option to reinstall. Found a post on Google that said they uninstalled the driver and reinstalled it and it solved the problem, but this confused me a little as surely uninstalling the graphics driver would leave no monitor output at all so how would I reinstall. If it is even possible to uninstall. I know the HDMI output works as the PC start up screens displays through HDMI but as soon as Windows starts it cuts off and puts the monitor in standby.

Uninstalling a specific graphics card driver will cause windows to use a basic VGA driver for that card. I don't think it's possible to run windows without a graphics card driver active, even intentionally.

You could always try removing the card altogether then putting it back in to see if it finds new hardware - what make and model of graphics card is it? Does the computer have an on-board card (chipset) you could use temporarily?

You could always try removing the card altogether then putting it back in to see if it finds new hardware - what make and model of graphics card is it? Does the computer have an on-board card (chipset) you could use temporarily?

I've never added a Graphics Card to it so presuming it is using the on-board card. Don't really know much about the internals of a PC so not sure.

Switched the PC on last night to have a another play around with it and it came on saying configuring Windows update. Tried it after it finished and now the HDMI out is working again. So must have been an issue with Windows itself rather than the Graphics Driver as that hasn't been updated. Only thing is now is that the HDMI image is too big for the screen and the options to adjust it seem to have disappeared and it doesn't seem to be in HD, getting a far sharper picture through VGA.

Edited by steroc

Not that relevant just a massive dig on how awful windows 8 is! Took me half hour to work out how to get office icons from the start to my desktop. Bring back XP!

8.1 is a pig of a nightmare. GGGGGGGGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRR - quite forgot about 8 it's even worse