My cat needs re-homing

Hi all, my lovely little ginger/white cat, Ozzy, needs re-homing. He's a sweet, affectionate little thing and great with children. Problem is I work full time and I'm away a lot at weekends - I just want him to have the love and attention that he needs that I can't give him anymore.

He's an outdoor cat, neutered and around 6 years old ( I don't remember exact dates ). He was originally a rescue cat who I adopted.

For anyone who like a cuddly, affectionate and sweet cat then Ozzy's your man!!

Don't give him up, cats aren't usually bothered by your absence if in their own home and gardens. My two mogs weren't bothered when I did twelve hour shifts and every second or third weekend.

My Birman is a housecat, he's like my shadow, follows me everywhere. He sits outside the shower waiting for me, when he is awake anyway. Hi did start following hubby around more when I worked long hours but most breeds of cat don't need a lot of human company.

Get a pet minder to pop in each day to change food, water and littler tray. Our outdoor cats never used little trays but we didn't have a cat flap so had one as a precaution. We found its much easier and cleaner to leave a good quality dry food down, this can be left down all day for mog to help themselves.

I bet you will miss each other if you part company.

Don't give him up, cats aren't usually bothered by your absence if in their own home and gardens. My two mogs weren't bothered when I did twelve hour shifts and every second or third weekend.

My Birman is a housecat, he's like my shadow, follows me everywhere. He sits outside the shower waiting for me, when he is awake anyway. Hi did start following hubby around more when I worked long hours but most breeds of cat don't need a lot of human company.

Get a pet minder to pop in each day to change food, water and littler tray. Our outdoor cats never used little trays but we didn't have a cat flap so had one as a precaution. We found its much easier and cleaner to leave a good quality dry food down, this can be left down all day for mog to help themselves.

I bet you will miss each other if you part company.

Totally agree

Totally agree

me too , I have a number of Cats who visit me here when their owners are out at work , I would never give any of mine up ?

I agree with everyone else, no need to upset him, he's better off where he is x

If he was adopted from a rescue, doesn't the adoption agreement say that the animal has to be returned to the care of the rescue you adopted him from?

The covenant on the papers I have for my little rescue oldie dog states that unless he passes away, if I want to get rid of him, (perish the thought) he must be returned to them.

If he's from a rescue you need to contact the rescue. Many adoptions say you can't just re home your cat without agreement from them. They may take him back

Agree with the others, cats are territorial and he'll be far happier in his 'patch' on his own than being uprooted to a strange place with strange people.

If you're away you could think about installing a cat flap (if you haven't already), and there's even timed cat feeders you can get to help make things easier.

I don't blame people for thinking about their pets, but I think its easy to forget that things change and get better, like us they would rather ride out the rough times with the people that they love rather than having to move on and start again.

Jennie , If Ozzy was adopted from Sheffield Animal Centre , they will take him back in and re home him for you

Don't rehome him... It's not fair, he will of made his territory and friends, know all the little nooks and cranny's around where you live..

Cat's really don't care how long you are missing for, as long as you leave him clean water and fresh food out everyday he will be happy..

While rescues are good and necessary, for most cats they are akin to prisons, and it's unlikely that a cat used to a home and free run of the surrounding territory, is going to be anything other than miserable and scared if returned to a rescue shelter.

I'd suggest that he's better of where he is- cats tend to be quite adept at being happy when their owners are away- as long as they're in the territory they've become accustomed to.