Tramlines Festival 2014

Dada can be expensive if you order anything from the fridge. But, it always has a good range of cask available and a 5.5% Thornbridge stout set me back 3.20 tonight. So it depends what you want.

Thousands and thousands of people come into Sheffield to watch bands playing in pubs and other venues for Tramlines weekend and give them a rapturous response.........these Pubs are rammed many running out of booze this weekend...and YET.....these very same venues are empty the rest of the year when these very same bands are performing..............it seems its cool to support local bands playing their own songs in Sheffield......but just for 3 days a year.

Edited by sams town

Can anybody answer this?

Thousands and thousands of people come into Sheffield to watch bands playing in pubs and other venues for Tramlines weekend.........these Pubs are rammed many running out of booze this weekend...and YET.....these very same venues are empty the rest of the year when these very same bands are performing..............it seems its cool to support local bands playing their own songs......but just for 3 days a year.

Because the rest of the year it's not a citywide music festival at the weekend, blessed by superb weather?

Going out on a wet Tuesday night in February to see a single band, not such an attractive proposition.

Some people like live music more than others, and a big city music festival is a good opportunity for those of us who don't go and see three edgy, hip bands a week to stroke our beards and nod appreciatively, to enjoy a bit of live music and a festy atmosphere.

It's not computational fluid dynamics.

Pity you didn't read my post......These bands received a great response this week...no one needed to stroke their beards

Also its rarely just one band are on a line up........so not sure when you last went to a pub original band gig.........and if we only bother to support and go out to entertainment in superb weather in England nothing would survive....the Pubs do have roofs and heating......also Tramlines is a success even with poor weather..........Obviously Tramlines is never going to be repeated... BUT .if just 0.5% of the tramlines crowd bothered to make a return trip it would make a massive difference............perhaps the venues should do more to encourage customers to return

Could be many punters think they only play once a year.

Edited by sams town

The rules about drinking in public places are relaxed when the councils making money out of it...

How do the Council get money from outside drinking?...........Tramlines is not a Council event anymore

They make money from everyone applying for temporary event permits...they dont give them out for free...

Loads of other stuff they will charge for as well I bet..

Edited by Ghostrider

it will never Happen as iT is Illegal to drink on the street In the city ceNter. howEver this lAw does seem to get relaxeD for tRamlines each Year.

No. It is not illegal to drink in the street.

It is illegal not to stop drinking when asked to do so by a uniformed officer.

I notice the achingly hip Brewdog bar was one of the very few which didn't host any bands, dj's,etc.

not very community minded

I notice the achingly hip Brewdog bar was one of the very few which didn't host any bands, dj's,etc.

not very community minded

Their license prevents them from doing so.

temporary event licences only cost about 20 quid its not a significant amount

Its not that... Part of the reason why the council allowed the bar to open was that they were not allowed live music or dancing in the bar. Its a condition of their terms of being allowed to open there.

I know they wanted to open in West One, and the Hop and Vodka Rev spoke out against it. My guess is that these bars also voiced discontent about live music being allowed at any venue in the area that they chose to move into.