Sheffield's chance to shine post TdeF

I've always got the impression that Sheffield entered into this begrudgingly, whereas other towns and cities were far more enthusiastic.

I note that people are suggesting it isn't the Councils responsibility to promote this event, but I disagree.

This is a major worldwide sporting event that was an opportunity to showcase our city around the world, not only on the day of the event, but before and after.

I'm sure there will have been newspaper articles and possibly TV programmes about this event in various countries around the world.

If I was the person writing an article or producing a programme with regards to the TdF coming to Yorkshire, would I:

a) Concentrate on towns and cities that had taken the event to their hearts, like Leeds or

b) Concentate on a city where there is hardly a trace of the forthcoming event?

Taking it a step further, if I was someone wanting to sponsor part of the event, would my sponsorship money/investment go towards the area noted in a) above or the area noted in b) above?

I thought the organisation and the whole days events were terrific, but I think it's an opportunity lost because we didn't push this early enough and/or hard enough.

I must admit I didn't know that about the logo, but it doesn't surprise me.

Regards

Doom

Actually the majority of coverage wasnt on an individual place it was cleverly done to sell Yorkshire as a whole by the Le Tour Yorkshire/ Welcome to Yorkshire people. That's how Gary Verity sold it to AOS. Thats the point about the two days it was about Yorkshire, not just Leeds, York or Sheffield, but the villages, towns and countryside inbetween.

---------- Post added 07-07-2014 at 18:00 ----------

I also thought that the crowds on the streets of Sheffield were as thin as I'd seen in any built up area on the tour.

Because in Sheffield people can their way out into the countryside, Holmes Moss and the spectator Hubs including the ones at High Bradfield and Oughtibridge or perhaps you think thats just the nomral population.

I also doubt the "legacy" of the tour.

Nothing new in you doubting anything. I'm happy enough in that its provided a lot of people with a great day out, good memories and people being proud to be from yoirkshire. You may have missed the numerous posts by people commenting on good community spirit.

They could have highlighted a few of the more attractive elements of the city. Bringing the route into the centre via The Surprise, The Toads Mouth and Ringinglow would have shown the world what Sheffield has to offer. Taking them on a tour of Brightside probably didn't.

Except the route was mostly planned by the welcome to Yorkshire campaign after being given specific instrcutions by AOS about what they wanted. You could have picked a more scenic route, but Sheffield is never going to be as pretty as Howarth was. What they did do is plan an exciting and interesting route for cyclists that produced an actual race and they were please about that including the riders.

Anyway carry on moaning as you always do. Soon be time for you to moan about the cinema again.

Looked like a packed house and a first class job done. How much is down to council I'm not sure but full marks all round.

That said I did have a little chuckle when the commentator mentioned all the Slovakian flags and remarked about all the Slovakian supporters who made the journey.

That said I did have a little chuckle when the commentator mentioned all the Slovakian flags and remarked about all the Slovakian supporters who made the journey.

Why? I think they were there to support Peter sagan, who was a favourite to win the stage.

Why? I think they were there to support Peter sagan, who was a favourite to win the stage.

I think a fair few journeyed from page hall rather than Slovakia but that's by the by. As I said though yorkshire did a cracking job.

The ones interviewed had come up from London and from Slovakia. That's what they said anyway. Was it the Page Hall aspect that made you laugh?

well all the people who spent the last 3 weeks slagging it off look thoroughly stupid now. Great event and everybody is talking about sheffield, hopefully this will translate into visitors. I don't think this will bring people to Sheffield on it's own though, we need to bring people in for other events.

nah they will still moan what should be kept quiet is there is chance a cycling classic could be a yearly event

The TV coverage for Sheffield was very poor, didn't show much of HIgh Bradfield, the section coming down Halifax Rd going to Herries Rd was cut out due to adverts.

How can Sheffield be promoted when we didn't see much of it.

Agreed ITV4 was advert heavy but EuroSport's coverage was much better and with far less Ads.

HD too so if you have any Catch-up TV service go from about the '25 Km to go' mark (in top lefty of screen) :thumbsup:

I was a Tourmaker on the Arena tram stop and a lot of people we talked to came up for Le Tour and were impressed with how nice it was & how lovely the people were.

I think it's going to be great for the city and for tourism as a lot of people would've never thought of coming here before Le Tour!

I've always got the impression that Sheffield entered into this begrudgingly, whereas other towns and cities were far more enthusiastic.

I note that people are suggesting it isn't the Councils responsibility to promote this event, but I disagree.

This is a major worldwide sporting event that was an opportunity to showcase our city around the world, not only on the day of the event, but before and after.

I'm sure there will have been newspaper articles and possibly TV programmes about this event in various countries around the world.

If I was the person writing an article or producing a programme with regards to the TdF coming to Yorkshire, would I:

a) Concentrate on towns and cities that had taken the event to their hearts, like Leeds or

b) Concentate on a city where there is hardly a trace of the forthcoming event?

Taking it a step further, if I was someone wanting to sponsor part of the event, would my sponsorship money/investment go towards the area noted in a) above or the area noted in b) above?

I thought the organisation and the whole days events were terrific, but I think it's an opportunity lost because we didn't push this early enough and/or hard enough.

I must admit I didn't know that about the logo, but it doesn't surprise me.

Regards

Doom

I think there are 2 different issues regarding propmotion.

1. Promoting the event - Sheffield didn't need to, the event is already much bigger than any promotion that Sheffield is likely to be able to give to it.

2. Promoting Sheffield on the back of it having a stage of the TdF. This is the important one. There's always more that can be done. Individual organisations, be it tourist boards, business groups, Universities etc can take the opportunity to promote themselves. The council should take the opportunity to help these and promote the city also. (I noticed that Sheffield Hallam University had some liveried Land Rovers in the main procession, so they had decided to use the TdF as a means of promoting themselves).

I was a Tourmaker on the Arena tram stop and a lot of people we talked to came up for Le Tour and were impressed with how nice it was & how lovely the people were.

I think it's going to be great for the city and for tourism as a lot of people would've never thought of coming here before Le Tour!

How much did you feel you were being trained and guided by Sheffield City Council and how much of the organising was down to the Welcome to Yorkshire people? Good on you for volunteering.

How much did you feel you were being trained and guided by Sheffield City Council and how much of the organising was down to the Welcome to Yorkshire people? Good on you for volunteering.

It was all organised through Welcome to Yorkshire, but the information that we needed (maps etc.) came from the council. That was the case wherever we were (York, Leeds etc.)

Thanks, it was such a great day :)

Actually I spectated at Midhopestones and enjoyed the spectacle. That's not the same as having to subscribe to your version of events.

I watched the first stage on TV and saw some beautiful places. I watched the highlights of day 2 when we got home. I saw some beautiful places, but Sheffield wasn't one of them. I also thought that the crowds on the streets of Sheffield were as thin as I'd seen in any built up area on the tour.

I also doubt the "legacy" of the tour. I doubt you can name the town/city that hosted the start or finish of the 2nd stage last year. The tour has undoubtably allowed places like High Bradfield to raise their profiles. Perhaps some folk who were previously unaware of the place might make a detour when passing to take a pint at the Old Horns. But I'm not expecting many folk to have watched the tour and thought we must drop by Sheffield and take a look at Burngreave.

I think Sheffield missed an opportunity. They could have highlighted a few of the more attractive elements of the city. Bringing the route into the centre via The Surprise, The Toads Mouth and Ringinglow would have shown the world what Sheffield has to offer. Taking them on a tour of Brightside probably didn't.

When they announced the route, my immediate thoughts were that they'd missed an opportunity to approach Sheffield from the South West, from Derbyshire. Entering Sheffield along tree lined roads, past parks, would have looked great from the air, in my opinion.

But I reckon I was wrong. The approach was through pretty villages and countryside, and then the cyclists enter the "city" at Salt Box Lane and Halifax Road - still a wide modern looking road. The image is clear that Sheffield is right on the edge of some beautiful countryside, which it is.

If people are attracted to the area and decide to visit, then they may decide to use Sheffield as a base, and explore from there.

One final point. I think that Sheffield will benefit in terms of tourism and business as well as getting its name out there in general, but even if it doesn't...

... it was still a great way for a lot of people to spend their Sunday, and it has left a great feel good feeling among a lot of the people in the city and surrounding area.

Thank you Gary Verity for having the get up and go to make this happen, and to everyone else who played there part.