Sheffield's chance to shine post TdeF

Toby Foster wasnt even there so can make no comment! He was at silverstone.

For me the route was a spectacular success in more ways than one. Firstly it produced an exciting race. Secondly, it promoted Sheffield and it strengths which is we are a city that is surrounded by beautiful countryside.

After the success of the Yorkshire leg of the Tour de France Sheffield council has the opportunity to capitalise on this and show how great Sheffield is to tourists and businessmen alike. I am sure Leeds won't be backwards in coming forwards to promote brand Leeds.

Do you think they will get their finger out or just let others push ahead?

Don't care what Leeds do, they're nearly always second fiddle - We get a tram and they try to get one but end scaling it down into a guided bus or something. We get an arena and they have to have one. If you like Leeds so much go and live there ... oh, wait ...

Was thinking of where to place this, but will put it here as I feel it is a legacy thing. We had visitors from the posh side of Manchester over. They had never been to Sheffield before.

They arrived on Saturday afternoon and left this morning. We went to Oughtibridge ("What a lovely village! And so close to where you live!") we drove part of the route on Saturday ("Wow, five minutes and you are in the middle of nowhere!") We took the tram to see the Peace Gardens and have coffee: ("Manchester could really do with an area like this, it is lovely!"). The day itself they couldn't get over how friendly all the people were.

This morning, before leaving, we agreed they'd be coming back for the Criterium in Sheffield. We have booked tickets for the Lyceum later this year, they are going to try and get a weekend at the Old Vicarage ("Sheffield really is close, I never realised that"). And he has decided that he is going to cycle over to visit us every now and then.

The same will be true for thousands of other visitors. This sort of event stacks with other events, the more on the calendar the better: It makes life a lot more enjoyable.

unless you have a particular hankering for post industrial decay then the pretty non-urbanised places are always going to win.

the ancient cities with the history and big architecture will get visitors because of that but Sheffield and most other English cities don't really have that nor are they likely too. Sadly, we don't build big pretty buildings anymore just concrete and glass boxes.

people will come to Sheffield for specific events or groups of events ( snooker, tramlines, tour de france and many more) and to use it as a base to explore the wider region.

given that there is a whole landscape of very intense scenery a reasonably short car drive or public transport journey away then pushing Sheffield as a base for exploring it during the day and sampling the more up-market parts of the nightlife at night might produce some results

the other thing it does is demonstrate that we, as a region and as a city, can host these sorts of big events and host them well which will make it easier to bring other events, big and small into the area, which can only be a good thing

Don't think they came to look at the scenery.

Right, so riding past the French Alps is entirely for technical biking purposes, and not for promoting France at all? :rolleyes:

It was a fantastic event. The countryside looked glorious and even the run down bits of Sheffield were mostly hidden by all the lovely people.

well all the people who spent the last 3 weeks slagging it off look thoroughly stupid now. Great event and everybody is talking about sheffield, hopefully this will translate into visitors. I don't think this will bring people to Sheffield on it's own though, we need to bring people in for other events.

I thought what made yesterday so special was the response from the people of this region (Sheffield and beyond), I actually thought the efforts from our Council with regards to the event were quite poor.

Doom

I congratulate the council for what they did in Oughtibridge, everything was spot on.

In Coronation Park we had a bar , café, ice cream, fish and chips, the band and the big screen all were well organised and they made sure there were plenty of toilets, well done.

Right, so riding past the French Alps is entirely for technical biking purposes, and not for promoting France at all? :rolleyes:

I would think its a bit of both,Have you ever been to france,its not all French alps..

I congratulate the council for what they did in Oughtibridge, everything was spot on.

In Coronation Park we had a bar , café, ice cream, fish and chips, the band and the big screen all were well organised and they made sure there were plenty of toilets, well done.

I didn't have a problem with their efforts on the day, everything was spot on as far as I'm concerned.

I just felt we missed a trick in the build-up to the event, with very little in the way of promoting the event and creating an early feel good factor, which other towns and cities in the region did do.

Regards

Doom

---------- Post added 07-07-2014 at 14:15 ----------

Was thinking of where to place this, but will put it here as I feel it is a legacy thing. We had visitors from the posh side of Manchester over. They had never been to Sheffield before.

They arrived on Saturday afternoon and left this morning. We went to Oughtibridge ("What a lovely village! And so close to where you live!") we drove part of the route on Saturday ("Wow, five minutes and you are in the middle of nowhere!") We took the tram to see the Peace Gardens and have coffee: ("Manchester could really do with an area like this, it is lovely!"). The day itself they couldn't get over how friendly all the people were.

This morning, before leaving, we agreed they'd be coming back for the Criterium in Sheffield. We have booked tickets for the Lyceum later this year, they are going to try and get a weekend at the Old Vicarage ("Sheffield really is close, I never realised that"). And he has decided that he is going to cycle over to visit us every now and then.

The same will be true for thousands of other visitors. This sort of event stacks with other events, the more on the calendar the better: It makes life a lot more enjoyable.

Sheffield certainly has it's problems, with many of them having been highlighted on the TV recently, but there is also an awful lot that is good in this area.

I think people who have never been here have preconceived ideas about the place because of what they see on TV, but are surprised when they do actually visit by the greenery and the friendliness of the people. I don't think it's a coincidence that Sheffield retains a higher percentage of it's student population than any other city.....There must be something good about the place.

Regards

Doom

seriousley what you expect from this council very poor there should have been bunting everywhere and promoting the event more the peace gardens was good but when we got back to the city a pubs were closed why ? only peace gardens were busy .and the supertram took all the transport to the main areas near meadowhall surly they could have had some way to bus people . People from from areas of the uk were horriefied of the disgust that is the pile of rubble of the don valley stadium .