Can anyone help in identifying St Matthias School

On 29/09/2014 at 21:46, Menorcan said:

I have ascertained that St Matthias primary school on Napier/Parliament street was demolished circa.1960/61. 

When the school closed it was taken over by Sheffield Twist Drill and used as the sets department.  It was still being used when I left in 1981.

edit -   I seem to remember but there was a load of old historic records thrown out and piled up with other waste and this must have been before 1970-71 when the new warehouse block was built at the top of Summerfield Street.

Edited by fox0114
uncertain about dates

On 16/03/2006 at 21:50, Fareast said:

The school was actually on Parliament Street , where Parliament Street , Napier Street and another Street [ which ran from Napier St. up to Cemetery Rd. Maybe Pembroke St. ? ] met at the junction .

I went to Pomona St. school from 1949 to 1953 and St. Matthias was going strong then .

Yes, Pembroke St....and everyone in that neighbourhood will recall the S and E Co-op in Napier St opposite the school yard. We all used to go there to get our milk tokens.   And do you recall The Silver Slipper at the top of Pembroke St ?   A knocking shop, apparently. I recall a police raid there one Saturday afternoon and everyone was carted off in a black maria.   

On 26/09/2014 at 23:15, Menorcan said:

some of my school chums John Westrey Cyril Jackson Christine Rushby Keith Wade Ann Lockwood Carol Wildgoose Norman Porter.

Could that have been Gordon Porter, same age, who lived in upper Pearl St and whose dad was the local lamplighter, maintaining all the gas lamps?  

1 hour ago, DavidFrance said:

Yes, Pembroke St....and everyone in that neighbourhood will recall the S and E Co-op in Napier St opposite the school yard. We all used to go there to get our milk tokens.   And do you recall The Silver Slipper at the top of Pembroke St ?   A knocking shop, apparently. I recall a police raid there one Saturday afternoon and everyone was carted off in a black maria.   

Could that have been Gordon Porter, same age, who lived in upper Pearl St and whose dad was the local lamplighter, maintaining all the gas lamps?  

the silver slipper was called the Sunderland social club

because it was on the top corner of sunderland street.

pembroke street was the next street on the right hand side up going up cemetery road

2 hours ago, MICK BADGER said:

the silver slipper was called the Sunderland social club

because it was on the top corner of sunderland street.

pembroke street was the next street on the right hand side up going up cemetery road

Your memory better than mine but you are correct!

19 hours ago, DavidFrance said:

Your memory better than mine but you are correct!

I use to live just up cemetery road from there in the 60s / 70s

My name is John cooper iwas at st Mathias school from 1939 to 1945, but find it hard to find what I have written . I know everything about this school during the war, it would be so interesting 

(deleted content)

Edited by Hopman

On 01/04/2023 at 15:16, John cooper said:

Sorry for my impatience. I went to st Mathias school in the years 1938 /

19448, and miss kendall was,the lovely teacher I will never forget . She was

Courting a raf navigator /Lancaster bomber.his plane crashed in mid air with another lancaster. Does anyone have any information on this matter. I believe he married miss kendall before the accident 

I attended this school in 1956 the headmistress at that time was Miss Benson other teachers were mrs wilson  miss talent and miss tonks after I went on to greystones in1961 the school closed and the remainder of the students went to pamona treet school