Question For Mechanics..

Right im a mechanic also but I cannot get my head around this problem, if any one can help me it would be much appreciated.

I have a vw Passat b5 which I bought a few weeks ago to do up since then the 'steering column lock defective' light shows up on screen and the red steering wheel light comes on, if u turn the vehicle off with this problem the car will not start at all. But however if you reset the fault using a scanner or vag com, it clears itself and the car starts until next time. I took the car to a couple of lads in Southampton who deal with these sort of problems, they took the column out and replaced the switches and it was working fine for a week until it came back on. Dealers want over £1000 to repair was wondering if anyone had come across a similar problem and knew how to repair, also if I put another column on would that sort it out or would I have to get it coded?

go on the passat forum and do a search or open a thread.

---------- Post added 05-07-2014 at 14:15 ----------

For a temporary solution, which was recently posted on the VWvortex forum:

I haven't found a cure but I know how to prevent it from happening if you have this problem. (It obviously wasn't the seat belt )

When starting the car first push the key into the first stop, you'll notice the yellow steering wheel symbol on the dash. Wait a couple of seconds for it to turn off. Then push the key into the second stop the steering wheel symbol now turns red. Once again, wait a couple of seconds for it to turn off. Now go ahead and push the key in to start the car, it will be fine.

If I try anything other than this sequence, the car has the steering lock problem. I have been using this for two weeks now and have not had a single problem. (Unless I tried something different.) It's important that you wait for the steering wheel symbol to clear the dash each time....

Been doing this for the past week and not had a single error yet.

Sounds like it's having trouble recognising the key? Possible barrel or toroidal coil issue.