Fishing the Don this Sunday

Very excited, as fishing the Don this sunday, I have two obvious choices, looking at the weather I could assume a fair amount of water will be in and go for a deep stretch near Meadowhall. Or i could go further a field and try and find a an area which is fast but also has slow pockets.

Any advice on fishing when the conditions are 50/50 in the summer. Typically hot summer days make me struggle!!

Very excited, as fishing the Don this sunday, I have two obvious choices, looking at the weather I could assume a fair amount of water will be in and go for a deep stretch near Meadowhall. Or i could go further a field and try and find a an area which is fast but also has slow pockets.

Any advice on fishing when the conditions are 50/50 in the summer. Typically hot summer days make me struggle!!

Don't bother with Meadowhall all rds shut tour d France

there's loads of good sections of the don, but bear in mind it's now the height of summer & therefore less oxygen in the water, which can have a dramatic effect on fish like grayling & trout, dace, barbel & chub, which is why I only fish the river at the back end of autumn & all thru the winter (fish it around middlewood, oughtibridge & deepcar every winter & have done so for the last 20+ years)

despite that I can't blame anyone for fancying a go as it's a really fantastic experience being by the river when the sun's out & it's warm, especially when you're up to your knees in crystal clear water

this time of year I'd be looking at weirpools, there are 2 good ones on the stretch running through middlewood, and there are a few nice deeper runs on that stretch too

also if you can get close to the river now, there used to be a great stretch down Neepsend, up Clubmill Road, where the river loxley joins the don

used to be full of dace here, but I've not fished it for a while now

I fished the don last Friday was a nice change. Just off herries road had one trout one grayling and a dace in four hours not great but was different