Discrimination at rescues

Rosa, it seems to me that the only reason rescues have asked you to leave your details with them is because at the time you visited, they didn't have any dogs that were suitable for you and your partner (good with cats). So they've asked for your details so they can let you know if they get any in that they think would suit you. Surely that can only be a positive thing?? Yet you're now refusing to leave your details with any more rescues?

I agree that not all rescues get it right all the time. But the majority do a dam good job! There are three local rescues that I personally wouldn't consider adopting from for various reasons and I do think some have ridiculous rules and regulations that are just too over the top. But I'm sure they have their reasons for such rules. And if that's their policy, then so be it. If I don't like it, I don't adopt from there, simple! But all the others I think are brilliant.

If you haven't already tried Netherlands Dog Rescue and Thornberry Animal Sanctuary, then please do so. In my opinion, these are the 2 best local rescues.

I know HelenaC, and I agree with what she has pointed out. I know a lady that bred four beautiful puppies, and wanted the best homes for them. When callers asked about them she said she would like to do a home check.........everyone said NO, the result was she kept them all!! She now has eight dogs! I would be delighted if a breeder wanted to check my home, it shows how much they care about where the dogs are going.

Scousemouse, we do not have a problem with home checks. We are currently having a home check soon.

---------- Post added 08-07-2014 at 08:29 ----------

Of course rescues do a great job,but we are entitled to have an opinion also

Jackie@rain. We were truly honest about our circumstances and we told you one of us experiences mental illness and you said we have had people with depression before take dogs from you and it's not worked out so it made you very wary of rehoming dogs to people who have had this!

I know several people who have mental illness and their dog makes a big difference to their lives as they have to think of his needs , also Drs recommend animals as healing therapy for depression my own grandmother who is 96 was recommended this from Dr Peter Brand who said a dog would enhance her life etc

Hi,

My partner and I have been to several dog rescues in the local area and we find people's attitude towards us quite shocking at times, we have several reasons for them to be prejudiced towards us, my partner is blind etc etc.

We have been nothing but polite and we also donate many decent items to dog rescues so we have no idea why they find it a challenge to rehome a dog to us.

We have a cat admittedly but even the cat friendly dogs they won't rehome to us.

Has anyone had this experience? As I say we are polite and friendly. Even yesterday they showed us a dog that loved us to bits and we did the dog and yet they would not rehome it to us.

Presumably they do actually give you a reason, they don't just say no and refuse to explain why?

Presumably they do actually give you a reason, they don't just say no and refuse to explain why?

No, most of the time we just never hear from them again. One particular sanctuary said they don't have dogs that can be rehomed to cat households and this wasn't the pound by the way.

---------- Post added 08-07-2014 at 09:47 ----------

Jackie@rain. We were truly honest about our circumstances and we told you one of us experiences mental illness and you said we have had people with depression before take dogs from you and it's not worked out so it made you very wary of rehoming dogs to people who have had this!

I know several people who have mental illness and their dog makes a big difference to their lives as they have to think of his needs , also Drs recommend animals as healing therapy for depression my own grandmother who is 96 was recommended this from Dr Peter Brand who said a dog would enhance her life etc

I totally agree with you teeny. I wanted the dog to improve my confidence, not to mention I happen to love animals.

When we lost our first dobermann Ailsa who we had from a pup, we thought we would struggle to be accepted for a rescue dobe because we work full time and have cats. We tried several breed specific rescues and most were reluctant to rehome, just as we thought. But I put a convincing case in writing to one rescue (because even though we work, my other half lways comes home at lunchtime to check on the critters; and we were prepared to put safety meaures in place to make sure our cats and any dobe we rehomed ould have careful, supervised itroductions).

The result is Jesse, who came from FOND (Friends of Northern Dobermanns), and yes, she sometimes forgets her manners and tries to chase our lot but we've got dog gates and a squirty bottle to remind her to leave her furry brothers and sisters alone. She gets excited if I say 'rabbits' (we've two rescues outside) but that's more because she keps stealing their carrots.

I hope you manage to find the rescue dog for you, don't give up, recognise that most rescues have the best interest of the dog in mind. If you can safely introduce your cats and the dog and have dog gates to keep them apart/ give them some space, it is do-able. It helps if your cats are used to a dog: our lot took to Jesse almost straight away, after losing Ailsa - I think they looked at us and said 'not another blooming dog!' and then got on with life!

Jesse has her issues (she was badly neglected in her first home), but she is soooooooo loving, I'm certin she knows how much we miss Ailsa still and she comes over to give me a hug and a snotty slobbery kiss just when I need reassurance! I'm so glad we managed to find her

Very nice story Katkin. It's always lovely to hear people's stories. Thank you. x

Our cat has come from a rescue and he is one year and 2 months old and he was 6 months old when we got him so we are not sure whether he was used to dogs before he was adopted by us. He goes out a lot and sleeps all the time he is in lol. He is very friendly and gets on well with the neighbourhood cats.

We do of course feel that rescues work hard for the good treatment of animals and we would never deny this. :) We are definitely so grateful for our cat Sidney.

We have hopefully an introduction soon from a rescue and home check. So fingers crossed.

We have always said that the good thing about rescues is the help you get from them when you find one that can rehome to you. It's really good value too considering that you know the pet has been vet checked etc.

Which has what to do with adopting an animal ?

I do strongly feel those who run rescues get too attached to their animals. I can understand that, but it's probably why rescues are always so full too.

.Not meaning to antagonise anyone but one of the main reasons rescues are full is because of the amount of dogs being abandend or people carn't cope anyone .or they didnt realise how big the dog was going to growand then there's always I cant afford it anymore !all reasonswhich is why rescues do home checks . Anyone who doubts what im saying come answer my phone for a week .one other thing to consider is that most rescues offer a return to rescue should anything go wrong .

.Not meaning to antagonise anyone but one of the main reasons rescues are full is because of the amount of dogs being abandend or people carn't cope anyone .or they didnt realise how big the dog was going to growand then there's always I cant afford it anymore !all reasonswhich is why rescues do home checks . Anyone who doubts what im saying come answer my phone for a week .one other thing to consider is that most rescues offer a return to rescue should anything go wrong .

Don't think your post is antagnosing Nigel, its fact!..also people toddle off on to gum tree or preloved to buy a breed ( usually pedigree) that they know nothing about then call rescues when they can't cope.

Don't think your post is antagnosing Nigel, its fact!..also people toddle off on to gum tree or preloved to buy a breed ( usually pedigree) that they know nothing about then call rescues when they can't cope.

HelenaC, my partner and I are very careful and research breeds thoroughly.