Discrimination at rescues

My partner and I have nothing to hide, we have a house and garden, the garden has a fence and gate. But I still feel I don't want our home scrutinised by people that deem themselves to know more about dogs than we do. We would have always allowed a home check. But I'm sorry after all the prejudice we have received we won't be giving our details to anyone. If we get a dog we will look on preloved.

My partner and I have nothing to hide, we have a house and garden, the garden has a fence and gate. But I still feel I don't want our home scrutinised by people that deem themselves to know more about dogs than we do. We would have always allowed a home check. But I'm sorry after all the prejudice we have received we won't be giving our details to anyone. If we get a dog we will look on preloved.

I remember our home check. They wanted one fence panel made 1 foot higher to 6ft rather than 5ft. Now considering the rest of the garden is privet hedge which a determined strong dog would find easier to get through I thought it was quite an amusing request. But we just swallowed our thoughts and did it. :))

Rosa .I didnt say that you had anything to hide . I do not pretend to know more about dogs than you ., just incase I read that wrong .im sorry.But we do to have somewhere to start in securing the well being for the

dogs we save. If I remember rightly did you not ring me this week .I told you to forward me your details & that if I didnt have a suitable dog I would try to find one that would suit your situation, I also said that there would be a need for a home check ? Helping hands dog rescue do not discriminate.

Edited by Meter Man

No pets@home u just said forward the details so you can put me on file. To be honest that's what every rescue has said for the last 6 months, we are annoyed at this all the time. My partner has had guide dogs for years why should it be so difficult?

Now all the rescues have our very personal details on file, which is worrying. What is this information used for?

Edited by Rosa

Well im sorry whatvi meant to say wasi didnt have a dog that I thought was cat friendly so if you left me your details I would look fot one for you when I visit pounds , but im affraaid the same proceedure exsists for all adopters of my dogs . If you send details I will stand by what I said .x

Rosa, I can't help but think there must be more to it. When I was looking for a rescue dog, I went to lots of different rescues and not a single one asked me to give any details. The only time I had to give any was when I reserved my dog pending home check.

The problem with getting dogs from the pound or from free ads is they aren't assessed - the OP has cats so a dog with an unknown cat status would be a terrible idea.

Nigel I agree with you about home checking 100% its there to protect the dog, if a person does have a problem with home checking then going the rescue route obviously isn't for them.

When a dog comes into rescue you treat it as one of your own as soon as it arrives, and if all boxes aren't ticked to ensure the happiness and safety of a dog then its got to be no, if that doesn't bode well with some people then they go and buy off pre loved and gum tree - some find that they can't cope with that dog or its a biter or ill, and ironically may end up in a rescue somewhere.

Criteria's for rescue are there for a reason,.. you wouldn't want to adopt a child and not expect to give your details would you ?

It's sad to read this post. If I remember rightly you came to our rescue and the dog we had in mine wouldn't get on with cats. We have so much trouble and so much wasted time and people's expectations that a rescue dog will get on with a cat just because the cat has lived with dogs before??? That we are very cautious about rehoming dogs with cats.

We have no prejudice on the people as long as they are living and positive and you told us you would keep an eye on our site and the dogs that come in. We simply can't get back to everyone with so many phone calls and emails and tweets and Facebook messages and requests. Rescues aren't super human and they aren't perfect

Often they are just people trying to help pets in need and yet they so constantly get damned no matter what they do.

Assuming it was you and your partner that did visit rain rescue but I am upset at the comments if it was

Every rescue wants the pets in their care find a good home. That's what they ask. So I think there appears to be some confusion in your statement which makes it very one sided against rescues that do try to save lives.

Have you actually found a dog that gets on with cats? We have Cassie with us that has been in the pound but was fine with cats in a foster home but she will escape if ever left off lead

you wouldn't want to adopt a child and not expect to give your details would you ?

Which has what to do with adopting an animal ?

I do strongly feel those who run rescues get too attached to their animals. I can understand that, but it's probably why rescues are always so full too.

I do strongly feel those who run rescues get too attached to their animals. I can understand that, but it's probably why rescues are always so full too.

I doubt any rescues hold onto dogs because they get "too attached".. most want the best forever home possible so that that both dog and owner are compatible and can go on and lead a happy life together, that then releases another space for another dog to be helped and re homed.

FYI Jackie and the team at Rain Rescue go over and beyond to get their dogs the right homes, and good rescues make no apologies for not just letting a dog go out because the prospective dog owner wants " that dog" seen on a website or FB, all factors have to be taken into account so a dog goes to the right home environment and wont bounce back in.

Won't bother explaining your re quote, the analogy is pretty obvious.

Edited by HelenaC

Jackie@rain. We were truly honest about our circumstances and we told you one of us experiences mental illness and you said we have had people with depression before take dogs from you and it's not worked out so it made you very wary of rehoming dogs to people who have had this!

Surely most of us experience mental illness or could develop mental illness at some point in our lives. Should this be a reason without you knowing anything about us at all?

---------- Post added 08-07-2014 at 06:59 ----------

I have heard so much that dogs are great therapy when looked after properly and become great companions. How can you know Jackie that we were not able to look after a dog because of mental illness. I suspect most people don't tell you.

---------- Post added 08-07-2014 at 07:11 ----------

We do not have children, but my partner used to work with children and it makes no sense that adopting a dog should be equated to adopting a child. That's ridiculous now.

Agree with you megalithic on that point.