Discrimination at rescues

We have always said to all the rescues we don't mind what breed of dog as long as it gets on with cats and gets on with us and we with it. We just wanted to have a companion dog as a kind of therapy for me and my partner to give lots of love and attention to and walks.

We have always said to all the rescues we don't mind what breed of dog as long as it gets on with cats and gets on with us and we with it. We just wanted to have a companion dog as a kind of therapy for me and my partner to give lots of love and attention to and walks.

So what were the actual reasons given by the rescues when they turned you down?

The reasons were not clear but the minute we walked into one sanctuary they said where did we live and grunted when we said so. They asked who would be walking the dog and they didn't like the fact that sometimes both of us together would walk the dog, which is quite ridiculous. They never asked if we had a garden or worked etc. the woman in question was positively rude in her tone and manner. Not to mention her assumptions.

Me and my husband were turned down as we both work.

Me and my husband were turned down as we both work.

Join some of the facebook pet groups, there's always dogs available free on them. I personally wouldn't let anyone "check" me out, it's ridiculous, given how easy it is to source a dog elsewhere.

We agree with you megalithic and we won't be leaving our personal details with rescues again as we have done this far too many times unsuccessfully. Considering we don't know who runs these places and their data protection and confidentiality policies are.

I'm not on Facebook but I will get my son to have a look have you any idea what the groups are called.

"Pets for sale in Sheffield" is one.

"Pets for sale in Sheffield/Rotherham/Doncaster" is another.

I'm sure there's more.

There are loads of pets for sale pages on Facebook. Just be aware that not many of them will come neutered/spayed, treated for fleas, worms etc as they do with rescues. They probably won't have had vet checks either.

Most people on those sites just want rid of the animal. They'll tell you anything you want to hear. Good with cats, other dogs, kids etc even when they may not be. At least rescues do proper assessments and are truthful about the animals they rehome.

There are loads of pets for sale pages on Facebook. Just be aware that not many of them will come neutered/spayed, treated for fleas, worms etc as they do with rescues. They probably won't have had vet checks either.

Most people on those sites just want rid of the animal. They'll tell you anything you want to hear. Good with cats, other dogs, kids etc even when they may not be. At least rescues do proper assessments and are truthful about the animals they rehome.

Just treat the sale as if you were buying a car, pc, bed, sofa etc. It's always buyer beware of course.

Thanks will get my son to have a look.

Thanks Froger, I don't tend to go on Facebook much but it sounds like it might be worth looking.